New study discovers hands in Ryu's fireballs.

#1 Edited by cocabis (104 posts) -

First of all sorry If this was talked about already but I couldn't find anything on the forums. So I just found this thread on reddit and immediately thought about the bombcast magic debate.

I'm still not sure what to believe but I know for sure its not just a regular ball of fire.

Reddit Thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1w09qb/ive_been_playing_street_fighter_ii_since_1992_all/

#2 Posted by Brodehouse (9588 posts) -

'Ryu': The Hands of Fire.

#3 Edited by Humanity (8813 posts) -

So he's a magician right?

#4 Posted by lord_canti (1503 posts) -

til this wasn't a known quantity

#5 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

He's a monk using Chi energy. Done.

#6 Edited by Counterclockwork87 (603 posts) -

This puts a real wrench in the wizard/conjurer/sorcerer/monk/energy within/energy without debate.

#7 Posted by Humanity (8813 posts) -

But whats the difference between inner chi and inner magic?

#8 Posted by hermes (1376 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

Of course he is. As those images irrefutably prove, the hadoken is his energy projected.

Like this:

#9 Posted by RVonE (4603 posts) -

@humanity said:
@crusader8463 said:

East-Asian episteme versus Indo-European episteme.

#10 Posted by Humanity (8813 posts) -

@rvone said:

@humanity said:
@crusader8463 said:

I mean, the only difference between a chi using monk and a magic using wizard is the colloquialism isn't it?

Whatever you want to call it, inner chi or spirit or whatever is basically magic with another name. Anything that is not achievable in real life falls into magic as far as I'm concerned - and let's not get into the "sonic boom is technically possible maaaan" cause a regular human being can't do it.

#11 Posted by RVonE (4603 posts) -

@humanity said:

@rvone said:

@humanity said:
@crusader8463 said:

I mean, the only difference between a chi using monk and a magic using wizard is the colloquialism isn't it?

Whatever you want to call it, inner chi or spirit or whatever is basically magic with another name. Anything that is not achievable in real life falls into magic as far as I'm concerned - and let's not get into the "sonic boom is technically possible maaaan" cause a regular human being can't do it.

That would be my guess as well.

#12 Posted by TheMasterDS (2015 posts) -

He's a magic warrior monk. Normal warrior monks can't throw out energy balls. It has nothing to do with the source of the power, there are wizards who draw upon themselves to power their magic.

The real question, I think, is is Captain Falcon a Warrior Monk?

#13 Edited by RonGalaxy (2873 posts) -

Hes a made up video game character with made up powers. I win.

#14 Posted by Scroll (593 posts) -

Well its not something that is inherent to every individual in the Street fighter universe, I'm going with Wizard. Hell there are usually words associated with martial arts training which further supports the wizard theory.

#15 Posted by cmblasko (1122 posts) -

He can't be a Wizard, they have low Strength.

#16 Edited by Xeiphyer (5595 posts) -

Not sure how I never noticed that before. Weird.

#17 Posted by Flappy (2129 posts) -

Psh. Old ass study, ya mean.

#18 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

You wanna know the difference between chi and magic? Simple Chi is a projection of your inner energy where as magic is tapping into and manipulating an external force.

#19 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3020 posts) -

The Hadouken pretty clearly isn't a 'fireball', but what about the charged, red Hadouken that does set people on fire when it hits? I feel like this might be a case of multiclassing.

#20 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4594 posts) -

Ryu is manipulating the energies within him and focusing that force through the palms of his fist. The Hadouken results in a outward expression of that force that travels the screen and knocks down the opponent on contact. The actual "fireball" isn't a fireball at all; it's a visual representation of Ryu's ability to manipulate his Chi and weaponize it.

#21 Posted by Brozik (20 posts) -

@make_me_mad: Totally, Ryu is a monk/wizard. It explains everything.

#22 Posted by Grixxel (763 posts) -

He's a magic warrior monk. Normal warrior monks can't throw out energy balls. It has nothing to do with the source of the power, there are wizards who draw upon themselves to power their magic.

The real question, I think, is is Captain Falcon a Warrior Monk?

Dunno .. but he's dead. R.I.P.

#23 Posted by 49th (2691 posts) -

THE PLOT THICKENS!

It's psionic power, it's an extension of his body created using mind power. Maybe it's a combination of chi to create fire and mind power to carry the fire using his mind hands.

#24 Edited by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

Truly this is the 'tastes great/less filling' debate for a new age

#25 Posted by DiamondDog (48 posts) -

It kind of confused me as to why on the bombcast, they all seemed so hung upon the D&D definitions, I'm pretty sure wizards and sorcerers have been around for centuries before board games.

#26 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4929 posts) -

@humanity said:

@rvone said:

@humanity said:
@crusader8463 said:

That's how I view it.

#27 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2928 posts) -

I'm surprised people didn't know this.

The fact that we can see his fists in the flames only adds credence to the notion that the fireball is just a visualization of Ryu's energy travelling across the screen, not a literal fireball. The cool blue colour represents his energy, just like Ken's raging red energy represents his.

On the other hand (SEE WHAT I DID THERE) maybe he's just such a good sorcerer that he can make the flames into whatever shape he wants.

#28 Posted by AngriGhandi (755 posts) -

I still feel like we're having two separate debates here: The people who are debating which kind of power Ryu has based on information presented in the game; and the people who are trying to argue that anything that isn't real is magic and therefore Ryu is a wizard because it's all the same bullshit.

The second group is dumb, because by their definition every video game ever made is about wizards.

#29 Posted by groin (837 posts) -

I'm surprised people didn't know this.

The fact that we can see his fists in the flames only adds credence to the notion that the fireball is just a visualization of Ryu's energy travelling across the screen, not a literal fireball. The cool blue colour represents his energy, just like Ken's raging red energy represents his.

On the other hand (SEE WHAT I DID THERE) maybe he's just such a good sorcerer that he can make the flames into whatever shape he wants.

Ryu's EX hadouken sets opponents on fire though.

#30 Edited by hermes (1376 posts) -

This is kind of pointless, but still fun argument (Internet, yeah...).

To me, Ryu is closer to a monk than to a wizard. The difference is that Monks reach such a level of control over their bodies and its inner energy through physical training and conditioning (their preferred stats are dexterity and strength). Wizards reach a level of control over the energy and forces of the universe through mental training and lots of study (their preferred stat is intelligence). Monks are jedis, Wizards are scholars.

That is why wizards are often weaklings (because they spent most of their lives studying books), while warrior monks (particularly the shotokan variety in SF) are physically (and personality-wise) strong but don't necessarily shine in the intelligence department (which explains Dan).

#31 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1030 posts) -

@hermes said:

This is kind of pointless, but still fun argument (Internet, yeah...).

To me, Ryu is closer to a monk than to a wizard. The difference is that Monks reach such a level of control over their bodies and its inner energy through physical training and conditioning (their preferred stats are dexterity and strength). Wizards reach a level of control over the energy and forces of the universe through mental training and lots of study (their preferred stat is intelligence). Monks are jedis, Wizards are scholars.

That is why wizards are often weaklings (because they spent most of their lives studying books), while warrior monks (particularly the shotokan variety in SF) are physically (and personality-wise) strong but don't necessarily shine in the intelligence department (which explains Dan).

I like this explanation.

#32 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

Western magic vs. Eastern magic. Call it chi or whatever: If it's not physics it's magic. That's, like, the definition of magic.

#33 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

ugh, I feel like I'm 10 again and hanging out with people who want to suck out of the FUN out of the the Last Dragon awesome ending fight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.