Makers of Fan-Made Streets of Rage Remake Surprised to Learn Sega Does Not Want Them Distributing a Fan-Made Streets of Rage Remake

• 137 results
#51 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Karkarov: If SEGA wanted to be real pricks they could just take what the devs did, charge 15 bucks for it on XBL and PSN, and not give the "creators" a single cent.  The best part is, it's perfectly legal too.
#52 Posted by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

That's hypocritical of SEGA. They support hundreds of Sonic fangames (well...not so much support as leave them alone). There's even SAGE - the "Sonic Amateur Games' Expo" - out there, that Sega never shuts down! They're not going to do anything with Streets of Rage, so why not just let this go? The only reason I can think of is that they're gearing up to reboot SoR themselves. In which case, I wish them luck - the last time they tried to reboot a bunch of their series, it was godawful (Golden Axe for 360), mainly because they gave it to an untalented western developer. The brawling in the Yakuza games always reminded of me of Streets of Rage personally - perhaps Amusement Vision actually is working on a new Rage title?

#53 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -

Is it just me, or is Alex's article titles getting really long?

usually they are long, but i think this one takes it
#54 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5210 posts) -

Were they selling it?

#55 Posted by DJNeckspasm (13 posts) -

I don't think any of this matters.  They finished the game and it's available on torrent sites.  All sega has done is stop them from offering it for download on the developer's site.  It's a good thing they didn't give them a cease and desist before now, the game wouldn't have been finished and they wouldn't have been able to keep working on it publicly.  

The game is getting exposure (I didn't know it existed till this article and now I'm downloading it), the developer is getting exposure, the game is finished and it's available. So what if you have to go to a torrent site to get it?  I'd doubt the people interested in this have never been to a torrent site before.
#56 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

ALEX IS BACK BABY
great article

#57 Posted by radar5 (160 posts) -

Did giant bomb report on this earlier and I miss it? I loved these games!

#58 Posted by yakov456 (1901 posts) -

"Pretty much cool with it" equals We assumed they would not care and leave us alone.

#59 Posted by carlthenimrod (1593 posts) -

Sega should just partner with these guys and release it on XBLA/PSN. It is a better product than anything Sega has released in over a decade.

#60 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@carlthenimrod said:
" Sega should just partner with these guys and release it on XBLA/PSN. It is a better product than anything Sega has released in over a decade. "
:|  

Yakuza?  Vanquish?  
#61 Posted by Raakill (870 posts) -

I downloaded it when it was making the rounds on the news sites.  It played just fine but looked a little assy to me.  Sega should buy it and give a nice HD paint job. I'd definitely be willing to drop $10 on it.  

#62 Posted by HairyMike87 (1015 posts) -
@carlthenimrod said:
" Sega should just partner with these guys and release it on XBLA/PSN. It is a better product than anything Sega has released in over a decade. "
What Sega needs to do is go back and play their own games and make new ones that are just as awesome as they were. Sonic 4 was such a disappointment, but was on the right track. I would be down for them making a new Streets of Rage that expanded on 2.
#63 Posted by Karkarov (3056 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Karkarov: If SEGA wanted to be real pricks they could just take what the devs did, charge 15 bucks for it on XBL and PSN, and not give the "creators" a single cent.  The best part is, it's perfectly legal too. "
Which is pretty much what I am insinuating they are planning with the comment "BS corporate politics".
#64 Posted by brocool (701 posts) -

Sega needs to Go Straight, and let somebody remake this in Full HD. My vote goes for the guys who did Scott pilgrimm.

#65 Posted by Athropos (4 posts) -

Sega is too late, I, and many other people already downloaded this great version and played it/will continue to play it for years to come. Sega has always been a company with just a very few shining gems in their lineup and nowadays, all of these series that get sequels are butchered. Shining Force and Sonic being the most obvious and painful to me.

#66 Posted by VegasAceVII (29 posts) -

My heart goes out to the developers and their hard work.  I am not surprised to hear this news however.  I did get a chance to play an earlier version of this remake and it (even at early stages) was a god send for Streets of Rage fanatics like myself.  I adore Streets of Rage and admire the developer for sticking to it for all these years.  Sorry to hear it went down like this, if anything Sega should consider hiring these people.  

#67 Edited by onarum (2064 posts) -

I had no idea about this, thanks for bringing it up ;P, just downloaded it and played a little bit of the first level and god damn, this is awesome, the already badass music got even more badass with the remix, I love SoR, one of my fondest childhood memories being a Sega kid heh.

#68 Posted by Super_Yosh_64 (126 posts) -

Fuck Sega.  All of their releases in the post Sonic Adventure 2 have been complete shit.  They don't have many good IPs to begin with and the ones they do have are either just sitting their or being milked.

#69 Posted by MackSterling (56 posts) -

Sega taking the project, giving it one last bit of polish (online? HD resolution? Achievement system?) to encourage people to buy it over the 'inferior' free version, and not giving the makers a dime actually seems like something that would be preferable to both parties. It wasn't like the makers were selling it in the first place.

A cease and desist on this thing way earlier in all this would have been just standard and logical, but waiting til now to pull the plug? That goes from Not Cool to What The Hell.

#70 Posted by MikkaQ (10280 posts) -

Kind of a bummer given Sega's done nothing with that franchise since the early 90s. Guess they realized that was the only time people cared about Sega games passionately. 

#71 Posted by lordofultima (6231 posts) -

Well, good thing I downloaded this remake before they took it down. It is pretty darn awesome.

#72 Posted by SpicyRichter (513 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @SpicyRichter: All the royalties would go to Sega.  They can just take this game and not give the devs a dime. "
I suppose, but I'm gunna guess that the streets of rage fan community is probably pretty small, and if Sega did that they would alienate all the fans of the series. They would all just boycott the official release and just pirate it. I think Segas best move here is to offer something to the authors for their work, and then sell it. Win-win, amirite?
#73 Posted by carlthenimrod (1593 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @carlthenimrod said:
:|  Yakuza?  Vanquish?   "
Played both of those, and yes, easily a better product than those two. Vanquish is awesome but 5 hours long and Yakuza is straight off the Dreamcast. This game has way more to it.
#74 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Sega are doing absolutely nothing with the IP and yet want the first interesting thing related to Streets of Rage in about 20 years to be shut down. I feel that speaks volumes about the company.

#75 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

i was gonna download it a few days ago but i have a mac

#76 Posted by TheChaos (1158 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" It'll live on through torrents I'm sure. "
It is.
#77 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" Sega are doing absolutely nothing with the IP and yet want the first interesting thing related to Streets of Rage in about 20 years to be shut down. I feel that speaks volumes about the company. "
...or they could just want to take it for themselves and sell it over PSN/XBL for $15 and no one can do anything about it?  That's why we have copyrights, to protect IPs.  Those guys making it knew the risks, even if it didn't seem high at the time...it's still a risk.
#78 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" Sega are doing absolutely nothing with the IP and yet want the first interesting thing related to Streets of Rage in about 20 years to be shut down. I feel that speaks volumes about the company. "
...or they could just want to take it for themselves and sell it over PSN/XBL for $15 and no one can do anything about it?  That's why we have copyrights, to protect IPs.  Those guys making it knew the risks, even if it didn't seem high at the time...it's still a risk. "
I get that. From a legal standpoint, without the concrete proof they're claiming, this is perfectly justifiable to Sega but from a more auteurist standpoint, this is so corporately lame that it reflects both their complete lack of interest in their consumers and the nickel and dime state of the industry as a whole.
#79 Posted by chrissedoff (2079 posts) -

alex used tacit to mean the exact opposite of what it's supposed to mean. oh my godddddddddd this man writes for a living

#80 Posted by Alex (2024 posts) -
@chrissedoff:

Thank you kindly for reporting a typo I thought I'd fixed in editing.
Staff
#81 Posted by DrBendo (240 posts) -

Those bitching about Sega's move are being naive if not wholly ignorant. Streets of Rage is among Sega's most utilized franchises when you consider how many releases it has had. Platform after platform has seen a new official release. Frankly, pouring nearly a decade into something you supposedly love without bothering to do it the right way is just monumentally stupid.

For all anyone knows, Sega loves the remake and sees it as a high compliment. However, their hands are more or less tied. Generally speaking, one cannot just pick and choose when to protect their intellectual property or enforce their license. Quite often, a failure to go after infringements offers precedent as defense for further theft. Basically, if Sega lets people get away with this (even when they like the project), their rights can diminish. Allowing the sale of this game would make it much harder for Sega to stop people from selling any other remakes or distributing derivative works.

Love and Death is one of my favorite films of all time. Woody hasn't done a sequel, so why don't I pour resources into remaking it and start selling DVDs on my own. Surely, nobody would mind that I'm trying to make money from their work; so what if none of the people who made the movie I love earn a dime? Who cares if I dilute the intellectual property? If anyone complains, I'll just tell them how great the original is. The logic shared by many in these comments is roughly the same as this.

#82 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (462 posts) -

sega should totally just publish it. 

#83 Edited by Alex (2024 posts) -
@DJNeckspasm:

Giant Bomb will never endorse illegal downloads via torrents. We will simply alert you to situations regarding games we think are really awesome that you, unfortunately, can only get through torrents. ;-)
Staff
#84 Posted by RJPelonia (855 posts) -

:(

#85 Posted by bogallow (26 posts) -
@MiniPato said:
" Just name it Street of Remage. "
It reads too... AO. 

Alex you made me a Streisandearing bastard. Game's alirght. I'd pay $10 to play with my nephew.
#86 Posted by dvdwalker8 (382 posts) -

If the game is actually good, Sega should publish the game. The developers of the remake should have known better than to just put it out there for free and not expect any negative repercussions from the company that owns the IP rights.

#87 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2272 posts) -

What I think is the most ridiculous thing, is the guy making it email'd Sega before without a response IIRC. But Sega only says to cease and desist when the game is finally finished, and it was in the making for 8 YEARS.

I feel really bad for the guys that helped make it because they finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel, and once they got there, a giant SEGA came and smashed them.
#88 Edited by mewarmo990 (835 posts) -

This is really too bad.

But fear not! Streets of Rage Remake will live on through seeders and leechers.

Note to Sega: This is one of those cases where the greatest way to make people want (and get) something, is to tell them that they can't have it.

#89 Posted by carlthenimrod (1593 posts) -
@drbendo said:
" Those bitching about Sega's move are being naive if not wholly ignorant. Streets of Rage is among Sega's most utilized franchises when you consider how many releases it has had. Platform after platform has seen a new official release. "
One of their most utilized franchises!? How the hell do you figure that? They haven't bothered to make a new entry in the series in forever. They regurgitate all of their old shit on every platform whenever they get the opportunity so I don't see how you could say it is one of their most utilized properties because of that. Hell, they even made a shitty new Golden Axe this generation before bothering to make a new Streets of Rage. If anything, it is one of their most underutilized properties.
#90 Posted by neoepoch (1293 posts) -

This is S.O.P. for big publishers with franchises they have left to die. Look at all those Chrono Trigger Remakes killed by SE, or what happened with Silver Lining and Activision (although they had managed to get it done). Big publishers don't want anyone messing with their I.P. even if they have just left them dead for YEARS.

I have to wonder though, how these games fair under the fair use laws. Does anyone know any specifics?

#91 Posted by Slaker117 (4836 posts) -

A publishing deal is what they should have given them. All the development work is done and, given the level of devotion shown, I doubt the game would have been deemed offensive to the source. And I'm sure the dude would have been thrilled to get an official endorsement. Just help him put it out on digital platforms and take a percentage off the top. Everybody wins. I know that's not how the industry works, but for an edge case like this, companies should seize the opportunity. Win fan support and get in on pure profit.

#92 Posted by DrBendo (240 posts) -
@carlthenimrod:

You do realize that releasing a game for sale counts as utilizing it, yes? I never said that they used it well; however, I can't say that a sequel or remake would really be a good idea given how repetitive brawlers have aged. Sega still makes money on this franchise, and the fact that they've re-released it numerous times on many platforms is clear proof that it is valuable. Having knock-offs of a game that they still have commercial interest in is worth going after. When you consider how many franchises Sega owns, Streets of Rage has far more commercial value than most; there are hundreds if not thousands of franchises in their catalog, and a vast majority of them make the company no money at all.

Just because you're too shortsighted to realize the scale of their ownership does not mean that it isn't vast. And that you don't like what they're doing with a property has dick to do with the fact that they still make money on it and have a vested interest in its commercial value.
#93 Posted by Eyz (451 posts) -
@MiniPato said:
" Just name it Street of Remage. "
Ha! That could pass as a "parody" and therefore safe from a legal stand point!

This is quite stupid...if Sega (as much as I love the brand) is so concerned with this ip...why didn't they do anything with it anymore after the 16-bits days?? My Saturn could have used another SoR for sure!
#94 Posted by dudeglove (7722 posts) -

Slight aside, but wasn't the music for the Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD remake made with the collaboration of the OC Remix dudes on YT?

#95 Posted by carlthenimrod (1593 posts) -
@drbendo said:
" @carlthenimrod: You do realize that releasing a game for sale counts as utilizing it, yes? I never said that they used it well; however, I can't say that a sequel or remake would really be a good idea given how repetitive brawlers have aged. Sega still makes money on this franchise, and the fact that they've re-released it numerous times on many platforms is clear proof that it is valuable. Having knock-offs of a game that they still have commercial interest in is worth going after. When you consider how many franchises Sega owns, Streets of Rage has far more commercial value than most; there are hundreds if not thousands of franchises in their catalog, and a vast majority of them make the company no money at all. Just because you're too shortsighted to realize the scale of their ownership does not mean that it isn't vast. And that you don't like what they're doing with a property has dick to do with the fact that they still make money on it and have a vested interest in its commercial value. "
You said it was the among their "most utilized", so please tell me how releasing half-ass ports on new platforms makes it among the "most utilized". Is it because they re-release it on different platforms? Are you fucking kidding me? This is Sega we're talking about here. They release everything on whatever they can. I can play Comix Zone and Altered Beast on XBLA also, does that make them valuable franchises as well? They didn't even bother to release any of them separately on PSN. And only the 2nd on XBLA. I'm not sure where you think this flood of Streets of Rage money is coming from.

I also laugh at you saying that making a sequel would be a bad idea because brawlers have aged. Guess what the best selling game on XBLA all-time? Castle Crashers. So much for that champion theory.
#96 Posted by DryvBy (249 posts) -

All in all, I understand copyright laws, but I think they're stupid.

#97 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

could this be the sign of sega doing an episodic Streets of Rage XBL/PSN game!??!?!!?

#98 Posted by DeadManRollin (69 posts) -

Well, an iphone version of the game was released in 2009, so obviously it is not a dead IP. The "fans" should have been more careful!

#99 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

I've already downloaded it and completed four times.

As SOR2 is my favourite game of all time, its amazing how much better the fans can treat this franchise than Sega itself. Everyone needs to play this game. Its incredible.
#100 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@DeadManRollin said:
" Well, an iphone version of the game was released in 2009, so obviously it is not a dead IP. The "fans" should have been more careful! "
An iPhone version is worse than nothing. The idea of playing SOR with touchscreen controls makes me sick.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.