Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Streets of Rage

Franchise »

The Streets of Rage franchise was a trilogy of side-scrolling brawlers originally released for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis. In the games, players take on the role of a group of ex-cops, determined to remove the gangs of thugs overrunning the city streets. It is one of the most acclaimed beat 'em up series of all time.

Makers of Fan-Made Streets of Rage Remake Surprised to Learn Sega Does Not Want Them Distributing a Fan-Made Streets of Rage Remake

• 138 results
    DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By DrBendo
    @carlthenimrod:

Wow, Sega releasing a handful of 16 bit games surely outweighs the magnitudes more that just sit around. Look through some of their properties to see just how ignorant you are of their holdings. Sega has made money from selling Streets of Rage consistently. I'd wager that it has had more releases than 90% of their overall catalog. In case numbers make your head hurt, this means that they're using the IP.

As for the fact that there are still repetitive brawlers, it demonstrates nothing. Streets of Rage, as-is, can sit right alongside them. A 2D sequel that kept the same model would probably sell fewer copies than a re-release of the original games. Castle Crashers is the same mindless button mashing, so I'm not sure why it should be considered a model for improvement. It sold largely because of its style, and that's not an element that could be applied for a decent sequel to an old franchise with the same gameplay. Furthermore, Crashers is a new IP; its developers didn't have to balance improvements with maintaining an established franchise. Any sequel to Streets of Rage would either be so similar that it isn't worth the money (given that re-releases are cheap and still sell) or so different that there would be little value in bothering to keep the title. Golden Axe is a shining example; aside from being generally shit, there was no real reason for it to be a Golden Axe game. All-in-all, reviving brawlers isn't worth the investment.

Streets of Rage is played almost purely out of nostalgia. It was good when it came out, but it has almost nothing of value today. Neither the story nor the characters have enough appeal to warrant a sequel, and an attempt at one would piss off more people than it would please. Once you eliminate nostalgia (a given for a new game), there's nothing left but an outdated game. Given that memories are the only thing that has kept the series alive, it makes sense to re-release the original games time and again. The costs are incredibly low.

You're simply wrong and incapable of admitting it. Sega still makes money from the franchise, so it is still a valuable property for them. I'm not sure that it can be put more simply. It doesn't matter if you want a sequel, it doesn't matter if you don't like re-releases, and it doesn't matter that you can't count past the dozen or so Sega properties that you seem to be aware of. Streets of Rage is still a viable commercial property, end of fucking story. In the likely event that you are still utterly confused, have a friend break out some crayons and puppets to explain this to you in terms more akin to your grasp.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @brocool said:
    " Sega needs to Go Straight, and let somebody remake this in Full HD. My vote goes for the guys who did Scott pilgrimm. "
    If you ask me, Sega are Under Logic in their thinking.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#103  Edited By Ghostiet

It was always dumb to me. Those remakes - like Crono Trigger Ressurection - are made because there is demand for them. I don't know, I'd either hire these guys, pay them or buy the assets and put them in a fridge.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By geirr

Not too surprising!
    Though you do not need to visit a torrent site to find the SoRR 5.0,
    a few seconds of internetting and boom, there it is.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#105  Edited By kagato

I downloaded it the day it was released and got a bunch of folk i now to do the same so if we did that theres a good chance a lot of otheres did too.  Its a shame to see this happen, especially when things like Beats of Rage and Mugen have been doing this for years but i guess this is one of those fan made games that shows there is still a market for the series and Sega want to tap it themselves.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By Meowshi
    @drbendo said:
    " @carlthenimrod:

Wow, Sega releasing a handful of 16 bit games surely outweighs the magnitudes more that just sit around. Look through some of their properties to see just how ignorant you are of their holdings. Sega has made money from selling Streets of Rage consistently. I'd wager that it has had more releases than 90% of their overall catalog. In case numbers make your head hurt, this means that they're using the IP.As for the fact that there are still repetitive brawlers, it demonstrates nothing. Streets of Rage, as-is, can sit right alongside them. A 2D sequel that kept the same model would probably sell fewer copies than a re-release of the original games. Castle Crashers is the same mindless button mashing, so I'm not sure why it should be considered a model for improvement. It sold largely because of its style, and that's not an element that could be applied for a decent sequel to an old franchise with the same gameplay. Furthermore, Crashers is a new IP; its developers didn't have to balance improvements with maintaining an established franchise. Any sequel to Streets of Rage would either be so similar that it isn't worth the money (given that re-releases are cheap and still sell) or so different that there would be little value in bothering to keep the title. Golden Axe is a shining example; aside from being generally shit, there was no real reason for it to be a Golden Axe game. All-in-all, reviving brawlers isn't worth the investment.Streets of Rage is played almost purely out of nostalgia. It was good when it came out, but it has almost nothing of value today. Neither the story nor the characters have enough appeal to warrant a sequel, and an attempt at one would piss off more people than it would please. Once you eliminate nostalgia (a given for a new game), there's nothing left but an outdated game. Given that memories are the only thing that has kept the series alive, it makes sense to re-release the original games time and again. The costs are incredibly low. You're simply wrong and incapable of admitting it. Sega still makes money from the franchise, so it is still a valuable property for them. I'm not sure that it can be put more simply. It doesn't matter if you want a sequel, it doesn't matter if you don't like re-releases, and it doesn't matter that you can't count past the dozen or so Sega properties that you seem to be aware of. Streets of Rage is still a viable commercial property, end of fucking story. In the likely event that you are still utterly confused, have a friend break out some crayons and puppets to explain this to you in terms more akin to your grasp. "
    Sell-out.
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#107  Edited By metalmoog

Does it run on OSX or Winderz only?

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#108  Edited By Skald
    @brocool said:
    " Sega needs to Go Straight, and let somebody remake this in Full HD. My vote goes for the guys who did Scott pilgrimm. "
    You mean Ubisoft? That'd be a bit tricky.
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109  Edited By hockeymask27

Its sucks but law is law. On the other hand get you pallet swap on and make avenue of anger.

ghostNPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By ghostNPC
    @mewarmo990 said:
    " This is really too bad.But fear not! Streets of Rage Remake will live on through seeders and leechers. Note to Sega: This is one of those cases where the greatest way to make people want (and get) something, is to tell them that they can't have it. "
    Pretty much.
    EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#111  Edited By EightBitShik

It would be nice, if Sega, worked out a deal and let them release it, where both parties, profit.
    MindChamber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#112  Edited By MindChamber

What a shame

Ive played the remake, and theres just so much care and love invovled in it.  You can REALLY see they are fans.  Honestly if this was released on xbox live I wouldve bought it. 

Sega would do far better if they simply released this on live, and give those kids a cut. Seriously this remake is way better than any lazy live port theyve made so far.
    mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By mesklinite

Change name to Street of Angry. Change the storty's character  names and every 5th word. Show how to mod the game to change the script and the characters. Ship it.

Just read other posts and this was suggested and alreadt done so. I don't know.

Change it more. Then they can't sue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

They should just call it "roads of rage" or "Streets of anger" or something.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#115  Edited By ImperiousRix

Sega ruins everything...

Skronk61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Skronk61

Things like this show you which companies care about the fans, evidently Sega isn't one of them.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

i bet they would get away with it if they didnt put the "remake" in the title. if they put something like "streets of rage: Fan-Made Rage" it would probly be all good.

put u in sega shoes. u make a game. then someone come along and remake your game puttng the title remake... making it sound like athentic official game. it is not cool with u. since it sound like the real deal while the game is not from u.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#118  Edited By MormonWarrior

Sega freaking sucks.

Also, Streets of Rage 2 is the best brawler ever. Followed by TMNT IV on the SNES.

Mechanized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Mechanized

Sega doesn't really have a choice. Either sue or lose intellectual property rights. Well.. they could always just hire these guys and release the game on PSN/XBLA. But this is Sega, not an actual good company.

Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Norusdog

what did these tards expect? sorry but "they were basically fine with it" boils down too (I'm willing to bet) them getting NO RESPONSE from their mail.

they should have waited till SEGA gave them the go-ahead before even starting.

Sorry but for once I'm with the company instead of the players.  But because of this group of morons SEGA's going to be bashed because they put out a cease-and-desist on this thing.

"they were basically fine with it" HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA morons

JoeRosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By JoeRosa

Its funny how Sega releases the same game over and over on every system.  Flags fly up from all sides  now that this group remade the game and made it better. Sega keep releasing Hd remakes which arent that good looking compared to the original.  Smoothing off? Yes please.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By onarum
    @pepsimaxofborg said:
    " Not too surprising!
    Though you do not need to visit a torrent site to find the SoRR 5.0,
    a few seconds of internetting and boom, there it is. "
    Yep, I downloaded a copy from a legitimate website that only offers freeware/shareware downloads.

Also again, you guys should get it, it's pretty good.
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By carlthenimrod
    @drbendo said:

" @carlthenimrod:

Wow, Sega releasing a handful of 16 bit games surely outweighs the magnitudes more that just sit around. Look through some of their properties to see just how ignorant you are of their holdings. Sega has made money from selling Streets of Rage consistently. I'd wager that it has had more releases than 90% of their overall catalog. In case numbers make your head hurt, this means that they're using the IP. "

Handful of 16-bit games? You should go take a gander at that list yourself if you think that is all that Sega has released this generation for download. Last time I checked games like Crazy Taxi, Virtual On, After Burner, and House of the Dead aren't 16-bit era. And how have they managed to consistently make money off of Streets of Rage? Besides this generation of downloadable platforms, it hasn't seen the light of day on other consoles for years. I don't know anybody that owned a copy of Streets of Rage on PSX, DC, or N64.

Your wikipedia list does do a great job of showing how underutilized the Streets of Rage franchise is though. Last release 1994. Look at all those franchises that have seen sequels since then. Thanks for posting information that supports my argument.
    ArjanN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#124  Edited By ArjanN

It's now "impossbile to find" except by googling for 2 seconds.

As soon as you release something like this online, it's there forever.

lokey013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By lokey013

Hmm wonder how it played....wish I got to play it while it was available..
    mosdef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By mosdef

Just call it Meats of Beige : P sorry couldn't resist.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#127  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Screw Sega.  They've not made a decent game in years.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@august said:
    " SUPLIES "
    lol.
    DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By DrBendo
    @carlthenimrod:
    Again, your ignorance does not rule out the facts. There were Streets of Rage releases on Genesis, Sega Master System, Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Wii, mobile, Iphone, PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, Sega CD, and Game Gear, at least. Some of these platforms have seen multiple releases.

Fact is a bitch, no?

Now, granted, I've not your gift for myopic idiocy, but I see every generation since the third in that list. If you can't understand how that makes it heavily used, then your troglodytic inabilities are quite severe.
    PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#130  Edited By PerfidiousSinn

I'm glad I got this before SEGA took it down and kept the .zip so I can share it.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By carlthenimrod
    @drbendo said:
    " @carlthenimrod: Again, your ignorance does not rule out the facts. There were Streets of Rage releases on Genesis, Sega Master System, Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Wii, mobile, Iphone, PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, Sega CD, and Game Gear, at least. Some of these platforms have seen multiple releases.Fact is a bitch, no?Now, granted, I've not your gift for myopic idiocy, but I see every generation since the third in that list. If you can't understand how that makes it heavily used, then your troglodytic inabilities are quite severe. "
    Oh please, compilation discs don't count as major releases for a franchise. By that logic Bonanza Brothers and Columns are also raking the money in for Sega and among their most valuable franchises. Sure, whatever.
    DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By DrBendo
    @carlthenimrod:

Silly me; here I was thinking that irrefutable evidence that Streets of Rage has commercial value to Sega meant that Streets of Rage has commercial value to Sega. Face it, you are simply wrong; you've been proven wrong every step of the way. If you reply with another moronic contrivance to change the subject from the fact, then you'll be proven wrong again. Perhaps you should quit while you're only seven or eight behind.

As I've said, it doesn't matter if Sega uses a franchise the way some twat on a message board wants them to. It doesn't matter if they make a sequel or re-release the same game. It is their property, plain and simple; Sega owns Streets of Rage, and they still have commercial interest in the franchise. These are irrefutable facts, and anyone arguing against them is a fucking moron. 
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By carlthenimrod
    @drbendo said:

" @carlthenimrod: Silly me; here I was thinking that irrefutable evidence that Streets of Rage has commercial value to Sega meant that Streets of Rage has commercial value to Sega. Face it, you are simply wrong; you've been proven wrong every step of the way. If you reply with another moronic contrivance to change the subject from the fact, then you'll be proven wrong again. Perhaps you should quit while you're only seven or eight behind.As I've said, it doesn't matter if Sega uses a franchise the way some twat on a message board wants them to. It doesn't matter if they make a sequel or re-release the same game. It is their property, plain and simple; Sega owns Streets of Rage, and they still have commercial interest in the franchise. These are irrefutable facts, and anyone arguing against them is a fucking moron.  "

Thanks for pointing out you won an argument that didn't exist. Where did I ever say Streets of Rage has no commercial value?

You said it was, and I quote, one of their "most utilized" franchises and you have been unable to establish that outside of pointing to compilations and half-ass ports. Even the wikipedia page you linked to me noted its last major release as 1994.

Edit: At this point I am ending my involvement with this thread. I can deal with differing opinions just fine, but when it devolves into petty insults that is when I just shake my head and walk away. This has gone on long enough anyways... poop face.
    UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#134  Edited By UncleBenny

I want them to rename it "Rage of the Street: A Tribute".

ah poor bastards, but really, it's completely expected.

Saltank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Saltank

This sucks, I didn't even know about this. 

Streets of Rage 1 - 3 is mostly what I played when I had a Genesis!
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By NTM

Everyone should try and find it, it's really great. If you're a fan of Streets of Rage, you'll like this even more than previous installments.
    Goopynose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Goopynose

Streets of Rage has been my favorite trilogy since part 3 came out. I hope everyone can eventually get a hold of this fangame because, being the sor fanatic I am, I have already put over 24 hours of play into this. IT'S THAT GOOD!!!

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By BonOrbitz
    @MormonWarrior said:
    " Sega freaking sucks.Also, Streets of Rage 2 is the best brawler ever. Followed by TMNT IV on the SNES. "
    I couldn't agree with you more! I thought I was the shit when I got a SNES and Final Fight, but then my best friend got a Genesis with SoR 1 and I was floored. That was the game that got me to buy a Genesis and eventually, SoR 2. The music alone was worth it... Or was it the co-op that FF lacked?

TMNT IV scratched that itch that TMNT II: The Arcade couldn't do: Fulfill my dream of actually owning an arcade-quality TMNT fighter. When I first popped in TMNT II the fighting animations told me I was in for a disappointment. I'm not saying that it was a bad game, but my picky Ninja Turtle fanboy expectations in the early 90s were too high for that console port.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.