Streets of Rage remake (final version) released

#1 Posted by Xabu (38 posts) -

After 8 years in development, the Street of Rage Remake final version (5.0) has finally come!  I'm assuming most SoR fans have already heard of it (I believe yesterday was its official release) but its news to me and for anyone else who might have fond memories of this brawler series.

Link to project blog is here.  Link to forums is here.

#2 Posted by Nikral (289 posts) -

It's amazing what he has done from scratch. I played a couple levels of it and am really impressed. Can't wait to dump more hours into it.

#3 Posted by csl316 (9252 posts) -

Just installed it and man... this is my perfect game.

#4 Posted by StriderNo9 (1144 posts) -

The game is pretty awesome!

#5 Posted by bruno0091 (52 posts) -

It's ace: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrPnVhI7xLc    

#6 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

shit like this is why the internet is awesome.

#7 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@csl316 said:
" Just installed it and man... this is my perfect game. "
Same here. SOR2 is my favourite game of all time and this... well I just spent 5 hours playing it when I only planned half an hour. This is incredible.
#8 Posted by csl316 (9252 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @csl316 said:
" Just installed it and man... this is my perfect game. "
Same here. SOR2 is my favourite game of all time and this... well I just spent 5 hours playing it when I only planned half an hour. This is incredible. "
My situation exactly.  Just thought of popping it in for old times sake and I couldn't stop, lol.  Then my buddy came over and we went for 5 hours more.

Brought me back to the days where we used to beat Streets of Rage 2 daily.
#9 Posted by Spoonman671 (4751 posts) -
#10 Posted by Xabu (38 posts) -
#11 Edited by agentboolen (1832 posts) -

Wow link is gone, I guess Sega had a problem with someone remaking there games better then they can these days!!

#12 Posted by Xabu (38 posts) -

Sega forcefully removed the link until "further notice."  No one is really allowed to talk about it whom isn't a part of Bomber Games or Sega apparently over on their forums.  This might just go the way of Chrono Resurrection, but still pretty baffling since it seems clear to me that they had permission this whole time.

#13 Posted by agentboolen (1832 posts) -

Hey does anyone know if the Wii version was ever finished?  I just got done playing it on windows and check out the instructions that has a Wii logo and the specifics, so to me it sounds like its all done.  

#14 Posted by agentboolen (1832 posts) -

O.k. a little further research and it looks like they never got to making a Wad for the Wii!!   

After playing this thing I think Sega should try to make a deal with these guys and get this thing on Steam, Xbox Live, PSN and Wii store.  This thing is just as good as any other Console Arcade game out now.
#15 Posted by Xabu (38 posts) -

Well, Sega Europe issued a statement to Kotaku as follows:

"SEGA is committed to supporting any fans that take an interest in our games, and where possible we do so by involving them in Beta tests and other development, marketing or research opportunities. However we need to protect our intellectual property rights and this may result in us requesting that our fans remove online imagery, videos or games in some instances."

That's that, I guess.  If you managed to snag it, congratulations.  Ugh.  I guess there's really no point in arguing it, I have never really seen Sega as some benevolent entity in this generation anyhow.  Best of luck to Bombergames on their future endeavors.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.