Can PS2s & PS3s read this game, and the original?

#1 Edited by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
To sum my questions up... : Will I be able to play Strider or Strider 2 on either a SCPH 750001 PlayStation slim, or maybe on a PlayStation 3 slim? 

After a bit of searching, I found out that the arcade version of Strider is available on the PlayStation 2 (and Xbox) on the Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2 disc. The NES version is available on the Game Boy Advance cart Capcom Classics Mini-Mix, which is neat. 

However, for whatever reason, I cannot figure out if NTSC PlayStation copies of Strider and Strider 2 will work on an SCPH-75001 PlayStation 2 slim, which apparently suffers from a different lens, and a PlayStation 3 slim. I must be really bad at properly searching the internet.

I'd test this myself... but I don't have a PSone to fall back on if I do purchase them, and they do not work on my systems.
#2 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

ps3 slim = no backwards compatibility. so No it wont play that.. ps2 slim will as all it has different is it lost the possibility for internet.

#3 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@McShank: Strider 1 & 2 are actually PS1 games, and PS3s can play most, but not all of those. PlayStation 2 slims had some weird PS1 problems.
#4 Edited by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

I would think it would be able to but it's no guarantee considering it's just software emulation on the PS3. You can always get a used PS1 on amazon or ebay for around 15 bucks(20 with shipping).

Edit #2: I just took a look at the PS3 compatibility list and at first I didn't see it but realized I was on the EU version switched to US version and found that it should be compatible on the PS3. Sorry for the mix-up.

#5 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@Jazzycola: Alright, thanks. It looks like the US version of Strider 2 does in fact work on PS3s, and Strider actually come in the same package as Strider 2. 

Looks good!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.