SDCC: Strider Trailer & Gameplay Video!

#1 Edited by TepidShark (1058 posts) -

It was announced at Capcom's panel at Comic-Con. It is for both current gen & Next Gen:

Never had a familiarity with Strider outside of Marvel Vs Capcom, but this game could be neat.

Update: Capcom has a gameplay video:

#2 Posted by Anwar (852 posts) -

Double Helix is doing that, right? I hope they start making good games...

#3 Edited by Barrabas (325 posts) -

Much like with KI I'm not going to get excited for this, but I'll try to stay cautiously optimistic. It's just that Double Helix has such a bad track record. But if this and KI turn out good, I'll eat every bad word / thought I've had about them, buy the games (assuming I ever get an Xbox One in the case of KI), and be excited for their next projects.

#4 Posted by TepidShark (1058 posts) -

If the quick look was any indication that Battleship game Double Helix did, was supposed to be alright.

#5 Posted by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

where is my onimusha hd collection at ?

#6 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Errrmmmmm... well... this isn't due out until next year so I'll give them the benefit of the early build doubt and reserve judgement. :/

#7 Posted by mrfluke (5093 posts) -

@anwar said:

#8 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2311 posts) -

Okay cool. Now Capcom, about Mega Man...

Also people need to stop judging Double Helix. They've got potential, give them a chance. Developers like Naughty Dog began by making shit and look at them now.

#9 Edited by darkvare (759 posts) -

is strider 2 with hd graphics i can recognize some enviroments

#10 Edited by GaspoweR (2811 posts) -

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also: Ouroboros combos :p

#11 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1696 posts) -

I'm surprised, this actually looks pretty rad. The action looks fluid and fun, and there's some really nice sound design going on.

#12 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1233 posts) -

This seems like it will be in a Metroidvania style which I would be totally for. Not enough games like that. Double Helix seems to be getting a lot of the reboots of old franchises and even though their track record is poor, hopefully they can turn it around with Strider and Killer Instinct.

#13 Posted by TheHT (10904 posts) -

awesome! needs more scarf though.

#14 Posted by falserelic (5333 posts) -

Looks good to me so far. I could see myself spending my quality time with the game. Seems like a fun remake of the original Strider, maybe double helix my actually redeem themselves.

#15 Edited by GunstarRed (5035 posts) -

FUCK, YES! I was literally saying to someone about an hour ago that I wish Capcom would just make another Strider game.

#16 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Shadow Complex?

#17 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Strider is my favorite Character in UMVC3. I hope this is good.

#18 Posted by Hailinel (23927 posts) -

@anwar said:

#19 Posted by phampire (281 posts) -

I was half hoping that the annoucement trailer text was going to say "Heroes never die... they stride". Game looks alright.

#20 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

Looks kinda cheap.

#21 Edited by Reisz (1461 posts) -

Yeah. . . I'll be playing the hell out of this.

#22 Posted by sqrabbit (104 posts) -

Wish they could keep the slashing sound from the original Strider, but mute it just a tad. The new slashing sounds don't sound unique.

#23 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Well, that gameplay trailer certainly doesn't incite a lot of excitement. Hopefully it looks better around release cause it is still pretty far off. This trailer and the EVO showing of KI aren't looking too hot Double Helix...

#24 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

The gameplay looks strange you just run into enemies and still can kill them all?

#25 Posted by JackSukeru (5904 posts) -

It looks kind of cool, but way too often the camera was too close to the character with things you don't even see shooting at you from off-screen. You can't see what's coming at all, it felt a little claustrophobic.

#26 Posted by Demoskinos (14574 posts) -

Hey you know what people give Double Helix shit but I really liked the Silent Hill game they did. It had its issues like inexplicably not having inversion options for the camera but I enjoyed my few runs of that game that I did. This looks interesting enough I'll give it a fair shake at impressing me.

#27 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Gameplay actually looks quite faithful to the original.

#28 Edited by SaFt (379 posts) -

where is my onimusha hd collection at ?

It's long overdue, i'd rather have a re-make or re-boot though.

Regarding strider: It looks pretty cool, the camera seemed to go a little up close though.

#29 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Oh god Capcom stop giving your franchises to bad developers.

#30 Posted by gokaired (488 posts) -

Bout friggin time!

But DH hasn't got the best track record... we'll see how this goes.

#32 Posted by gokaired (488 posts) -

@cannonballbam: they must be going through some kind of genesis or something :P

#33 Posted by sarahsdad (1079 posts) -

Looks like a nice update of a game I used to LOVE to pump quarters into back in the day.

#34 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2951 posts) -
#35 Posted by Mr_Somebody (7 posts) -

Am i the only one that feels like this game looks like its on a strict budget. This honestly looks like PSN/XBLA title.

#36 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@mr_somebody said:

Am i the only one that feels like this game looks like its on a strict budget. This honestly looks like PSN/XBLA title.

I heard it was a boxed retail release. It's coming out on the same day as COD.

#37 Posted by Mr_Somebody (7 posts) -

@mr_somebody said:

I heard it was a boxed retail release. It's coming out on the same day as COD.

This is a mistake on their part. Better to release in a less frantic climate. If the game has a lot of powerups, bosses, enemy and stage variety i think it could be solid but something tells me its going to get redundant, but we'll c, friend.

#38 Posted by JungleGeek (4 posts) -
@supamon said:

Gameplay actually looks quite faithful to the original.

aside from the climbing i'm afraid not much, i'm a big fan of the original so i'm probably a bit picky but the seven minute gameplay video didn't quite sold me.

this is Osman/Cannon Dancer, an obscure spiritual sequel for Strider done by the same developers in the arcades

even with the differences, this is actually more faithful to the original than what Double Helix is doing.

#39 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Please be good.

#40 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

The washed-out and filtered visuals are really off-putting.

Man, someone should make a 2d Strider roguelite - something like Super House of Dead Ninjas but with gorgeous enormous sprites, super fast and fluid movement and combat and more randomization.

#41 Edited by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@gokaired said:

Bout friggin time!

But DH hasn't got the best track record... we'll see how this goes.

I agree but Killer Instinct and this look fantastic. The same could be said about Spark Unlimited (legendary is not amazing but had some interesting designs) although Ninja Gaiden Yaiba Z looks great too.

I think Comcept and Team Ninja are doing most of the work for NG Yaiba Z because this is the first I've heard of Spark also working on it. I could be wrong but I doubt it. Also, Spark is working on Lost Planet 3. People have been saying that games turning out solid.

#42 Posted by TWISTEDH34T (51 posts) -

Please don't suck. :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.