I wrote a nice article and now someone deleted it for two lines

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kingmasters (410 posts) -

all that work for nothing someone came along and deleted it for some stupid thing about Morrigan

#2 Posted by kingmasters (410 posts) -

pisses me off to no end

#3 Posted by Player1 (3861 posts) -

ya its rough. There working on a tool so they can rewind stuff like that. You should message Snide, and see if its finished. 

#4 Posted by kingmasters (410 posts) -

thanks I'll do that ^_^

#5 Posted by Clean (2356 posts) -

wow  that sucks

#6 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

Beat'um up!

#7 Posted by kingmasters (410 posts) -

yeah it sucks when people mess up other people's work

#8 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

Bummer dude.

#9 Posted by kingmasters (410 posts) -

this is why we can't have nice things

#10 Posted by Hailinel (24382 posts) -

Um, yeah.  As the person that rewrote the article, all I can say is that it was, no offense, not well written.  While as a wiki, people are free to add content to the site at will, if that content isn't well-written and contains numerous errors in grammar, punctuation, or spelling, then someone that wants to see it corrected will correct it.

And while I did edit out some content of the article, the information wasn't particularly well constructed in manner that made for easy reading.  If you want to edit some of that information back in, feel free, but take care to use better writing or it's bound to be edited again by someone.

#11 Posted by kingmasters (410 posts) -

It took me 2 hours to write what I did and I did not miss spell anything.
Yeah you can add to it but you don't destroy other people's hard work because you think your better than them.

#12 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

Did you save your work? If not, that's a bummer. I really recommend anyone writing wikis to save their stuff to their own computers just in case something like this happens.

#13 Posted by Hailinel (24382 posts) -
kingmasters said:
"It took me 2 hours to write what I did and I did not miss spell anything.
Yeah you can add to it but you don't destroy other people's hard work because you think your better than them."
Says the person that just misspelled "misspelled."

And I didn't edit the article because I thought that I was better than you, personally.  I edited it because it wasn't well-written.  If it really did take you two hours to write that up, then I'm sorry.  However, it honestly needed editing.
#14 Posted by kingmasters (410 posts) -

fine there's nothing I can do now anyways

#15 Posted by Tovan (633 posts) -
Hailinel said:
"kingmasters said:
Yeah you can add to it but you don't destroy other people's hard work because you think your better than them."

And I didn't edit the article because I thought that I was better than you, personally.  I edited it because it wasn't well-written.  If it really did take you two hours to write that up, then I'm sorry.  However, it honestly needed editing."
Then why not attempt to edit his article instead of completely erasing it?
#16 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Did you just edit the Elincia article and remove everything out of spite? That's not cool.

#17 Posted by kingmasters (410 posts) -

oh well whats done is done

#18 Posted by Subway (971 posts) -
Hailinel said:
"kingmasters said:

And I didn't edit the article because I thought that I was better than you, personally.  I edited it because it wasn't well-written.  If it really did take you two hours to write that up, then I'm sorry.  However, it honestly needed editing."
Full of yourself much?
#19 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
Tovan51 said:
"Hailinel said:
"kingmasters said:

Then why not attempt to edit his article instead of completely erasing it?"
Try telling that to kingmasters, who is now intentionally erasing articles that Hailinel contributed to.
#20 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -
Tovan51 said:
"Hailinel said:
"kingmasters said:

Exactly what I was about to say.

It's better to have information with bad grammar than not to have it at all. Hailinel, if you're going to edit an article, don't erase information, just reorganize it and fix the errors. It's kind of disrespectful to the original author.
#21 Posted by Hailinel (24382 posts) -
Tovan51 said:
"Hailinel said:
"kingmasters said:

Who says I completely erased it?  I would have liked to have kept more in there, but the fact of the matter is that some of what was written was salvageable.  There was an attempt to explain the history of the succubus and about the bibilcal figure Lilith being the first, but the explanation given by the article was so vague and lacking in context that if it wasn't removed, it would have required a complete rewrite from top to bottom.  I didn't have that kind of time to go through and perform a thorough fact check on Lilith (i.e.: In what version of the Bible was Lilith declared a succubus, if any, and what role did she play in the shaping of the modern perception of the creature?) .  If you just say she was the first succubus in the Bible, or something similar to that effect, that really doesn't tell me anything.  If what was written was fact, then it needed to be backed up with phrasing stronger than the equivalent of "because I said so."  Like I said, I didn't have that kind of time.

If he or someone else would like to relate a full history of the succubus in the article, then go right on ahead, but like I said before, if it isn't well written the first time, it's very likely that someone else is going to come along and edit it.  These pages are open to editing by any and everyone, and the only way that edits couldn't be made is if the Giant Bomb staff locked the ability to edit a particular page.
#22 Posted by TEAMHOLT (437 posts) -
LordAndrew said:
"Tovan51 said:
"Hailinel said:
"kingmasters said:

Try telling that to kingmasters, who is now intentionally erasing articles that Hailinel contributed to."
Please tell me he's not actually doing that. That is pretty much the worst case scenario as far as letting people's submissions be instantly approved.
#23 Edited by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Hailinel said:
"Tovan51 said:
"Hailinel said:
"kingmasters said:

Who says I completely erased it?  I would have liked to have kept more in there, but the fact of the matter is that some of what was written was salvageable.  There was an attempt to explain the history of the succubus and about the bibilcal figure Lilith being the first, but the explanation given by the article was so vague and lacking in context that if it wasn't removed, it would have required a complete rewrite from top to bottom.  I didn't have that kind of time to go through and perform a thorough fact check on Lilith (i.e.: In what version of the Bible was Lilith declared a succubus, if any, and what role did she play in the shaping of the modern perception of the creature?) .  If you just say she was the first succubus in the Bible, or something similar to that effect, that really doesn't tell me anything.  If what was written was fact, then it needed to be backed up with phrasing stronger than the equivalent of "because I said so."  Like I said, I didn't have that kind of time.

If he or someone else would like to relate a full history of the succubus in the article, then go right on ahead, but like I said before, if it isn't well written the first time, it's very likely that someone else is going to come along and edit it.  These pages are open to editing by any and everyone, and the only way that edits couldn't be made is if the Giant Bomb staff locked the ability to edit a particular page."

If you didn't have the time to rewrite it, why not just leave it there? Whether or not the information was well constructed is irrelevant, you have now erased the only information that was there because you thought you could do better; however, you apparently had more pressing issues to attend to so you just decided to erase it and leave it blank.

Not cool.
#24 Edited by kingmasters (410 posts) -

I did write out the whole history, its not my fault I know the history of the succubus and you don't. it not like I was makeing it all up.
why the hell would I do that?

#25 Edited by Tovan (633 posts) -
Hailinel said:
"Tovan51 said:
"Hailinel said:
"kingmasters said:

If he or someone else would like to relate a full history of the succubus in the article, then go right on ahead, but like I said before, if it isn't well written the first time, it's very likely that someone else is going to come along and edit it.  These pages are open to editing by any and everyone, and the only way that edits couldn't be made is if the Giant Bomb staff locked the ability to edit a particular page."
So, you deleted the entire article because you didn't have time? You realize if you had just left it someone with the knowledge of this topic would have arrived and fixed his mistakes. It sounds like you just wanted some quick points.
#26 Posted by GalvanizedNails (552 posts) -

gosh,some people have the most retarded logic." if i doznt haz  the time to fix somethingz i clicks the deletey button to get some lulz"  seriously thats just frickin rude. respect other people articles. The same thing happened to me with a Dead Space article. Someone took what i wrote and hacked about half of it out with the backspace button, and then replaced it with incorrect facts. i really dont get how people can be so stupid sometimes..... hopefully that rewind tool someone was talking about gets finished soon.

#27 Posted by Hailinel (24382 posts) -

I didn't leave the article "blank", certainly not like kingmasters has now left some of the ones I've contributed to.  I made edits to the article, and as fluid as a wiki is, information that is removed can always be put back in at a later date.  And while you may feel differently, I feel that it's important that an article that is meant to inform be clear and well-written and not just a deluge of factoids.  If you aren't fond of my edits to the succubus article, and that you feel you can do better, then go right ahead.  I didn't delete everything he wrote, and I certainly didn't do it out of any kind of malice.  I only cleared things up to provide for a fresher starting point.

#28 Posted by kingmasters (410 posts) -

yes I should be cheering for you because you did keep the first sentence lol 

#29 Posted by GalvanizedNails (552 posts) -

so youre idea of clearing things up is removing them? Strange logic....strange logic indeed

#30 Edited by kingmasters (410 posts) -

also the thing I did delete of Hailinel's was just directly copy and pasted from Wikipedia.  which is aginst what the site is all for.

#31 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -

Alright guys, I already settled this issue through pm's. I will not tolerate the insults that are being thrown around in here.

DO NOT POST IN HERE ANYMORE. I'm trying to get a forum mod in here to lock this baby down.

#32 Posted by MB (12247 posts) -

Locking for TheJollyRajah since he has settled this issue.  If you have any further questions or concerns, take it to PM's.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.