Xbox Live Summer of Arcade '12 Prices, Dates Revealed

• 105 results
Posted by Alex (2036 posts) -
Neo-pagan idol Dave Lang, pictured because we can't mention Wreckateer without showing a picture of Dave Lang.

The summer solstice is very nearly upon us. That is, of course, the longest day of the year, which has traditionally been celebrated by a variety of European and pagan cultures via fertility festivals and bonfires dating back centuries. Microsoft is not a culture (probably the opposite, really), but even the Xbox 360 maker is getting in on the celebration by dressing up its Summer of Arcade 2012 lineup in its best virginal whites, and writing out the release dates and prices in beautiful flower arrangements. This offering, meant to appease the neo-pagan goddess of sorcery, sex, and downloadable console games, also happens to act as a useful tool for announcing the aforementioned prices and release dates. Here they are, in non-floral form:

While I personally would probably rather celebrate the solstice by lighting bonfires or feasting for days, I must admit I am excited to get my hands on a couple of those titles. Especially Tony Hawk and Deadlight. Any in there that you plan to pick up? And while we're at it, what neo-pagan rituals do you plan to engage in during this Midsummer celebration week? Share with the group! Unless it involves nudity, in which case maybe just keep it to yourself.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (2036 posts) -
Neo-pagan idol Dave Lang, pictured because we can't mention Wreckateer without showing a picture of Dave Lang.

The summer solstice is very nearly upon us. That is, of course, the longest day of the year, which has traditionally been celebrated by a variety of European and pagan cultures via fertility festivals and bonfires dating back centuries. Microsoft is not a culture (probably the opposite, really), but even the Xbox 360 maker is getting in on the celebration by dressing up its Summer of Arcade 2012 lineup in its best virginal whites, and writing out the release dates and prices in beautiful flower arrangements. This offering, meant to appease the neo-pagan goddess of sorcery, sex, and downloadable console games, also happens to act as a useful tool for announcing the aforementioned prices and release dates. Here they are, in non-floral form:

While I personally would probably rather celebrate the solstice by lighting bonfires or feasting for days, I must admit I am excited to get my hands on a couple of those titles. Especially Tony Hawk and Deadlight. Any in there that you plan to pick up? And while we're at it, what neo-pagan rituals do you plan to engage in during this Midsummer celebration week? Share with the group! Unless it involves nudity, in which case maybe just keep it to yourself.

Staff
#2 Posted by Milkman (16687 posts) -

Who much does it cost to enter the Lang Zone?

#3 Posted by OneAndOnlyBigE (438 posts) -

Pumped for Deadlight

#4 Edited by cheeckoo (25 posts) -

I guess 1200 is the new 800, glad not to see a 16

now Wreckateer allmost look like a deal

#5 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

That is the shortest amount of time to wait for Tony Hawk. This pleases me.

#6 Posted by believer258 (11814 posts) -

So what exactly would the opposite of a culture be?

#7 Posted by Sphinx (67 posts) -

Alex, the only time I'm nude is during an eclipse...or is it when I'm nude an eclipse happens...

#8 Posted by Solh0und (1765 posts) -

What happened to Dungeon Fighter Live? Is that still happening? 

Also, I'm excited for Dust.

#9 Posted by CaLe (3964 posts) -

Wanna play Deadlight and Dust but I need to see review scores first. If they get in the 70s then no way man. Not a chance.

#10 Posted by wiggle987 (14 posts) -

Never thought i'd say this again, but i'm really excited for a new tony hawk game, chuffed to bits even more when jeff interviewed tony and he said he insisted on downhill jam being in.

#11 Posted by Getz (2997 posts) -

@Milkman: It's free, but the nachos are way over-priced.

#12 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

Looking forward to Tony Hawk HD and Dust seems really awesome, haven't really heard much about the rest of them.

#13 Posted by Atwa (617 posts) -

Dust and Tony Hawk HD for me

#14 Posted by aurahack (2270 posts) -

I am going to assume that Tony Hawk HD only comes out XBLA that date, which is weak. As far as I am concerned, classic Tony Hawk was meant to be played with a PlayStation controller. :<

#15 Posted by HarlechQuinn (448 posts) -

Pumped for Tony Hawk HD, too bad MS got a timed exclusive on it now... Original plan was to play it on the PS3 as I played the classic Tony Hawk games on the PlayStation, but now I have to buy it on the 360 as I can't wait to play it...

Oh well if it's good I might purchase it later on the PS3 as well.

#16 Edited by BonOrbitz (2184 posts) -

Wreckateer, Deadlight, Dust and maybe Hybrid for me. I was hoping Mark of the Ninja would be released this summer; that game looks great.

#17 Posted by adam1808 (1459 posts) -

@Milkman: 800 MSP

#18 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1866 posts) -

Planning on grabbing the last three, but Tony Hawk and Wreckateer don't really do much for me

#19 Posted by Brodehouse (9887 posts) -

It's strange that they're leading off with Tony Hawk. I figured they'd lead off with Dust considering they published it.

#20 Posted by MeatSim (10834 posts) -

I am up for Tony Hawk HD and Dust.

#21 Posted by NHLmaniac (112 posts) -

I wonder how long Tony Hawk HD will be exclusive to XBOX. Has anything been said about a PSN release date yet?

#22 Posted by Sammo21 (3261 posts) -

Two...maybe three of those look worth my time.

#23 Posted by MightyDuck (1521 posts) -

This may be a stupid question...but...

Since Tony Hawk is part of the summer of Arcade, does that mean PS3 users will have to wait? I wasn't sure if there was some sore of exclusivity deal.

#24 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

I'll probably get dust and deadlight. I'm not a fan of buying older games in HD. Even if it is Tony Hawk. Dust is probably my favorite from this batch so far. It's not that great of a SOA to be honest.

#25 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

@MightyDuck: If I'm not mistaken, there is usually a 1 month exclusivity on Arcade games that are part of a promotion like this.

#26 Posted by NegativeCero (2996 posts) -

I've been paying less and less attention to Summer of Arcade. I don't know half the games on this list. Dust looks cool from the screenshots on the site though.

#27 Posted by Stealthmaster86 (649 posts) -

I really wish that Deadlight would come to the PS3. If I had that working 360, Deadlight would be the one I would want the most.

#28 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

@MightyDuck: Yes, if it's part of Summer of Arcade there will be some kind of exclusivity deal.

#29 Posted by Animasta (14675 posts) -

fuck the lang zone

#30 Posted by Rirse (262 posts) -

Where is my Tony Hawkman HD? Make it happen DC!

#31 Posted by craigymail (194 posts) -

I'm genuinely excited for all those games. Good job!

#32 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6155 posts) -

Hah! Funny article, Alex. I think I might be making a MS point sacrifice to pick up Tony Hawk and Deadlight, and maaaaybe Dust. I use the yawning maybe because I still haven't gotten a really good feel for that game. Don't know a damn thing about Hybrid, come to think of it.

Good talk, team. Good talk.

Moderator Online
#33 Posted by Foil1212 (444 posts) -

I'm looking mostly at Hybrid and Tony Hawk.

#34 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

was hoping for some jet set radio news.

#35 Posted by ChrisTaran (1586 posts) -

I'd like to dig deeper into Dave Lang.

#36 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Dust and Deadlight are the only titles I'm currently interested in at those prices.

(Well, I'd be interested in Wreckateer, but I don't have Kinect.)

#37 Posted by BlazeHedgehog (1091 posts) -

That's a lot of 1200msp. I used to be able get a whole Summer of Arcade batch for under $50.

I really hate these price hikes.

#38 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I'm not really interested in any of these games. Oh well, maybe next year!

#39 Posted by ptc (615 posts) -

I'll try Wreckateer and Deadlight, then purchase if they strike my fancy.

#40 Edited by Gunslinger0130 (224 posts) -

Deadlight and Dust look great, I'll pass on the rest though, would rather play Skate over Tony Hawk any day of the week , Hybrid looks like dump and I don't have a Kinect so no Wreckateer for me.

#41 Posted by bhhawks78 (1203 posts) -

First summer of arcade where I'll be getting nothing.

#42 Posted by TinyGrenade (141 posts) -

Deadlight and Dust to be sure, might go for Tony Hawk and I'll check out Hybrid once I find out how it plays.

#43 Posted by BoringK (262 posts) -

I'm interested in all of these, except for Wreckateer (sorry Dave Lang, no Kinect for me). Hope they turn out good.

#44 Edited by D_train_lives (107 posts) -

Im getting 4 of the 5. Not a bad lineup at all im excited! also is there a possible deal for a package without Wreakateer? Cause I don't have a Kinect.

#45 Posted by maxB (311 posts) -

Dust and Hybrid look cool, haven't heard much about Deadlight and I dont have a kinect.

#46 Posted by Alphazero (1536 posts) -

@Animasta said:

fuck the lang zone

Buy him dinner first.

#47 Posted by Stubee (378 posts) -

Not sure what Deadlight is but i have zero interestin the rest.

#48 Posted by guto_ribeiro72 (3 posts) -

Deadlight and Dust for me

#49 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

@bhhawks78 said:

First summer of arcade where I'll be getting nothing.

Same here. Rather weak offerings this year.

#50 Posted by AlisterCat (5537 posts) -

Tony Hawk.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.