Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SunAge: Battle for Elysium

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 30, 2007

SunAge is a 2D sci-fi RTS, set on a distant future dying Earth where the Federation and the Raak-Zun are fighting for the last remaining resources - as a sudden alien invasion occur.

Touch RTS on Windows 8

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

So I was browsing the wasteland that is the windows 8 store on my yoga 2 pro and came across this game which appears to be a port of an old school rts from back when they were all the rage. Finding virtually nothing online regarding this game aside from some middling reviews regarding its original release, I took a gamble and picked it up for 7 bucks (AUD, prob 5 bucks USD?)

Now I've been scouring for something equating to a full featured rts on touch devices (apple, android) for the last 4 years, it's all been pretty fucking average tbh - a few small tech demoey, overly ambitious one man projects with no character.

I'm just a few levels into this but it seems pretty freaking decent, the artstyle is beautifully bitmapped, the voice acting is competent and the story is interesting enough.

There are three separate factions with their own campaigns - there is a game here. I dunno I'm only a few levels in, but the overall level of quality is far beyond anything else I've seen in this now niche genre, mainly I think because it's from a different time when developers had different priorities and gamers expected different things. Games like this seemingly don't exist anymore due to the lack of interest with modern gamers or the inclusion of gameplay compromising micro-transactions.

So anyway, decent games that utilise touch, specifically on windows 8 are few and far inbetween (there is like civ 5 and that's it.) and I came across this with dumb luck, so I figured it was worth putting a word in for it so anyone else who finds this right up their alley (as I do) can check it out, because I've been browsing for something like this since touch controls became a thing.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#2  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I can't help you with this one, but I'm also surprised by the lack of RTS games on the new touch devices. The PlayStation Vita would be perfect for it, but the only game you could arguably call an RTS on that platform, Zombie Tycoon 2, doesn't even use the touchscreen, instead using the analog sticks to move the cursor around, which is ridiculous.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.