Who had/has one of these?

#1 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I am looking at one on eBay now for really cheap, like £4. Does it work as advertised, does it have support for all if not most of the games?

#2 Edited by Robot_Moses (110 posts) -

I do. It does more or less what you want it to, it plays Game Boy/GBC games on your SNES. It works with like 99% of the Game Boy library; the only notable game I can think of that does not work is Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble (for obvious reasons). If you're talking about support for the 'enhanced' features, it gets more limited. Lots of Nintendo-made games had it, but third party support was pretty spotty. Also worth noting is that many (it might be all) Super Game Boys have a weird sound issue where game music can be occasionally distorted/sped up. I've always heard it was because the processor ran faster than the software supported or something like that. IMO, worth the four UK-bucks.

#3 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Robot_Moses: Great, just one more thing, do they look like Game Boy games sized up to fit a big screen or do they look as nice as they do on a Game Boy?

#4 Edited by AndrewB (7591 posts) -

Didn't they make one for the Gamecube that played GBA games too? Man, I'd totally forgotten. I just might pick one of those suckers up.

@Hizang: I can't say from experience, but all it's doing is upscaling the Game Boy resolution to SD TV, so I'd imagine it's the former.

#5 Posted by superpow (227 posts) -

@AndrewB: You totally should. Those things are awesome! It's the original transfarring.

#6 Posted by DeF (4863 posts) -

@Hizang: I got a spare one (PAL).

#7 Posted by AndrewB (7591 posts) -

@superpow said:

@AndrewB: You totally should. Those things are awesome! It's the original transfarring.

I already own 3 different versions of the GBA. Might as well make it 4!

Also, there were definitely some games which took advantage of the feature to do stuff like display border art around the game screen.

"The original Super Game Boy is known to play the game program and its audio 2.4% faster than other Game Boy hardware. This is due to the use of the Super NES' clock speed divided by 5 (which ends up being 4.295 MHz), instead of 4.194 MHz."

Makes sense.

#8 Edited by Robot_Moses (110 posts) -

@Hizang: Well, the device produces a border around the actual gameplay to preserve the original Game Boy aspect ratio- preventing it from getting too stretched, so visual quality is usually fine. Other than that, it depends on two things: the kind of TV you plan on using and the games you'll be playing. Obviously this thing wasn't meant for widescreen HD TV's, but as long as you have a TV/monitor that's smart enough not to horribly mess with the picture, it'll be fine. If SNES games look good on your TV, so will Super Game Boy games. The games that had Super Game Boy specific support usually look way better than those that didn't, oftentimes they had really nice custom borders/an enhanced color pallet. Really old Game Boy games tend to look like crap though.

#9 Posted by believer258 (11814 posts) -

I had one of these things. Man, it was awesome! I could play Game Boy games on the big screen! Though I don't remember ever having any issues with it...

#10 Posted by WarlordPayne (700 posts) -

I have one and never had any issues with it. And yes they did make a Gamecube one that plays GB/GBA games and that one works wonderfully, too.

#11 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

You guys have sold me, I will soon be the owner of one of these.

#12 Posted by JJOR64 (18956 posts) -

I did have one. I used the fuck out of it to play Pokemon and other games.

#13 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I also picked up Tetris for the Game Boy for £2 (Free Shipping), god retro games are great.

@JJOR64: I actually played most of mine through Pokemon Stadium VIA the game boy pack for the N64.

#14 Posted by JJOR64 (18956 posts) -

@Hizang said:

I also picked up Tetris for the Game Boy for £2 (Free Shipping), god retro games are great.

@JJOR64: I actually played most of mine through Pokemon Stadium VIA the game boy pack for the N64.

I did that as well, but I never got Stadium 1. Only had Stadium 2.

#15 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@JJOR64: I was the opposite, never got the second one, I wish I did though, loved the first one. Those mini games were nuts!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.