Nintendo Teases A New Mario 3DS Game

• 63 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Just in case you were in doubt, Nintendo is indeed developing a new Mario game for the Nintendo 3DS. During its GDC press event this morning, Nintendo confirmed its Mario project for the upcoming 3D handheld, but kept the details to a minimum because, hey, who wants to know anything about a new Mario game, right?

A couple of things can be gleaned from the logo and the screens shown at the event. It seems pretty likely that the Tanooki suit or the raccoon tail will be making a return and the game will feature 3D platforming.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said that more details will be coming this E3.

[images via Destructoid]
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Just in case you were in doubt, Nintendo is indeed developing a new Mario game for the Nintendo 3DS. During its GDC press event this morning, Nintendo confirmed its Mario project for the upcoming 3D handheld, but kept the details to a minimum because, hey, who wants to know anything about a new Mario game, right?

A couple of things can be gleaned from the logo and the screens shown at the event. It seems pretty likely that the Tanooki suit or the raccoon tail will be making a return and the game will feature 3D platforming.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said that more details will be coming this E3.

[images via Destructoid]
#2 Edited by RustySpoon (143 posts) -

Anyone shocked to see a new Mario game coming?

edit: Is it weird that the GDC keynote kinda became a press conference for Nintendo?

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (34654 posts) -

I just want to know what the hell it is. It's hard to be hyped for something when I know nothing about it.

#4 Posted by MrGtD (437 posts) -

kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe 

#5 Posted by crusader8463 (14326 posts) -

I'm still dismissing anything to do with this handheld until I can get my hands on it and see if I can use the 3D. Being born a cyclops I don't know if this will work for me or not.

#6 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6067 posts) -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY?

#7 Posted by msavo (7523 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" I just want to know what the hell it is. It's hard to be hyped for something when I know nothing about it. "
Yo you remember all those other Mario games... yup it's gonna be like them. 
#8 Posted by AuthenticM (3672 posts) -

Super Mario World 3DS

#9 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Simply awesome,
I love me some classy platforming.

#10 Posted by Loopah (133 posts) -

Whew!  Obvious that it was coming, but always fun to see them announced.

#11 Posted by JackSukeru (5819 posts) -

Is that a 3D Mario game where getting hit turns you small as well as one that features the Tanuki tail? Have my dreams finally come true? 

@MrGtD said:

" kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  "
also, this.
#12 Posted by Sargus (708 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" I'm still dismissing anything to do with this handheld until I can get my hands on it and see if I can use the 3D. Being born a cyclops I don't know if this will work for me or not. "
If you're literally a cyclops than unfortunately no, you will not be able to see 3D with the 3DS. It still has to send a separate image to each eye, it just does it without needing the filter lenses of glasses. 

But the handheld still seems cool even without the 3D, I think.
#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (34654 posts) -
@RE_Player92: 

Awesome, if true.
#14 Posted by IronScimitar (468 posts) -

it will sell in the trillions.

#15 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Oh btw, the Galaxy team is the guys who are making this.

#16 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -

Super Mario Bros 3... D?

#17 Posted by crusader8463 (14326 posts) -
@Sargus said:
" @crusader8463 said:
" I'm still dismissing anything to do with this handheld until I can get my hands on it and see if I can use the 3D. Being born a cyclops I don't know if this will work for me or not. "
If you're literally a cyclops than unfortunately no, you will not be able to see 3D with the 3DS. It still has to send a separate image to each eye, it just does it without needing the filter lenses of glasses.  But the handheld still seems cool even without the 3D, I think. "
I'm only half cyclops on my mothers side. Twice removed. 

Actually I just have really bad eye sight in my right eye. I'm legally blind in the eye. I can still see out of it, but everything is blurry and distorted. That's why I'm curious to know if it will work or not. I don't think it will, but who knows.
#18 Posted by Eristocrat (439 posts) -

Now I'm buying a 3DS. Fuck.

#19 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4969 posts) -

That looks like some Super Mario Galaxy-ass shit. I like!

#20 Posted by Blair (2474 posts) -

Can they do that?

#21 Posted by notsonic (205 posts) -

im actually kind of surprised this doesn't appear to be a remake of another mario game.

#22 Posted by Crushed (878 posts) -

Mario Galaxy team?
Little Mario?
MOTHERFUCKING RACCOON TAIL?

Oh shit.

#23 Posted by ZeroCast (1870 posts) -

It's Nintendo. It's Mario. 

And it's going to be Gooooood.

#24 Posted by Crono (2620 posts) -
@IronScimitar said:
" it will sell in the trillions. "
Your estimate seems low!
#25 Posted by Bollard (5033 posts) -
@AuthenticM said:
" Super Mario World 3DS "
I will buy 10 3DSes. But alas, judging from the pictures it looks more in the vein of Super Mario 64...
#26 Posted by masterherocard (419 posts) -

My first impression from this was super Mario Bros 3 in 3d.
Super Mario Bros 3-d?

#27 Posted by m0rdr3d (474 posts) -

Great.  Now I've gotta start thinking up reasons why this won't be that good and I don't have to bother with a 3DS.  Even though I think the Galaxy games are masterpieces, I've always wanted a 3D Mario game that's not set in space, more like Mario 64.
#28 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy 3DS Port.

#29 Posted by MisterMouse (3531 posts) -

this can only be good for the 3DS

#30 Posted by Cybexx (1102 posts) -

So from the small hatless Mario can we say that the concept of collecting a mushroom and becoming "Super" Mario is finally back?

#31 Posted by JackSukeru (5819 posts) -

Holy shit you guys, you're telling me that there's never been a game just called Super Mario

Actually, I feel like I've thought about this not too long ago, now that I think about it.

#32 Posted by Parsnip (1068 posts) -

Well, it just so happens that the original SMB3 on NES also has a raccon tail in its title screen.

#33 Posted by Jost1 (2077 posts) -

FUCKING RACOON MARIO IS BACK OH GOD YES

#34 Posted by makari (590 posts) -

First screenshots of 3D Mario in a raccoon suit: internet will explode.

#35 Posted by Kolonel_Kool (327 posts) -

Great, now I'm going to have to buy a 3DS.

#36 Posted by TheKing (789 posts) -

I'm listening...

#37 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

DUDE YES LETS DO THIS

#38 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2480 posts) -

I'm thinking you'll be able to roll up into a ball Samus style while you have the raccoon tail?

Eh, I'm probably reading to much into this.

#39 Posted by Rolento (261 posts) -
@MrGtD said:
" kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  kuribo's shoe  "  
Word.
#40 Posted by Trebz (487 posts) -

"The Super Mario."

#41 Posted by weegieanawrench (1921 posts) -
@MrGtD said:
I hope it's in there. Also, notice the shadow of "o". Spiritual successor to SMB3?
#42 Posted by SkinnyBlue (320 posts) -

Nice.
It's Mario. It's in 3D.
Should be good.

#43 Edited by MrKlorox (11187 posts) -

If any first party 3DS game will stress the importance of enhanced depth perception, it will be a Mario game.

edit: NO LUIGI?!

#44 Posted by SleepyDoughnut (1177 posts) -

I am on board.

#45 Posted by Faint (833 posts) -

It's all good that they are making another Mario game, and I do like to play their existing franchises, but can they seriously not come up with something new? I mean, besides wii sports/fit, what have they come up with since like, the nes?

#46 Posted by ma_rc_01 (356 posts) -
@Faint said:
" It's all good that they are making another Mario game, and I do like to play their existing franchises, but can they seriously not come up with something new? I mean, besides wii sports/fit, what have they come up with since like, the nes? "
Excuse me, did you forget all of those... damn, never mind.
#47 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

I guess the Wii is dead. Fucking handhelds.

#48 Posted by CrescentFresh (126 posts) -
@ma_rc_01:  I believe they invented dogs....and cats
#49 Posted by littletmart (5 posts) -

Looks like I'm buying a 3DS after all.

#50 Posted by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

This is uncharacteristic of Nintendo, so I'm excited:) You mean, they're not just gonna port Super Mario Sunshine to the 3DS and call it a day!?! The worst Mario game!?! And they're doing brand new!?! Excellent! I'm happy. Especially if it's recycling Mario Galaxy's engine (which it probably will), and features the Tanooki suit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.