Super Mario 3D Land is a terrible name.

#1 Posted by Soulblitz (349 posts) -

The game looks great, but man, seriously? Super Mario 3D or Super Mario Land 3D would have both been perfectly fine.

Picky, sure, but I can't have been the only one who was surprised when they announced the official name.

#2 Posted by N7 (3580 posts) -

Super Mario: 3D Land looks better to me. It signifies the title and subtitle instead of it being a heaping mess.

#3 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

I thought this was a 3D remake of the GB game, or is it? im confused lol

#4 Edited by phrali (646 posts) -

is it really any worse than "Super Mario Galaxy" or "Paper Mario the 1000 year door" or whatever, or how about "MARIO PARTY 12!!!!!!!!!!!!"?

#5 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I think they should remove the word land from the title completely.

#6 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

It's an amusement park sim, what did you expect?

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that that's not going to be the final name.

#8 Posted by ahgunsillyo (448 posts) -

I don't see anything wrong with it.   

*Goes back to playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii*

#9 Posted by awadnin (275 posts) -

(Super Mario Land 3D)  i like this title more :]

#10 Posted by BeachThunder (11807 posts) -

It's better than Super Mario Bros. XIV

#11 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@Soulblitz

I think it sounds good this way. It is saying, to me, this is Super Mario's Three-Dee Land. Not that this is Super Mario Land in Three-Dee.
#12 Posted by TheWyotee93 (187 posts) -

If you hadn't noticed Nintendo kinda has a tendency to make weird names. I agree with you though. I say they just start numbering them Final Fantasy style. 

#13 Posted by NickBOTT (481 posts) -
@Soulblitz: Agree 100% with you.
#14 Posted by Hector (3357 posts) -

@awadnin said:

(Super Mario Land 3D) i like this title more :]

Agree

#15 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -

Super Mario Land 3D would be the name of a Super Mario Land remake, in 3D, on the 3DS. Super Mario 3D Land makes more sense because of that.

#16 Posted by AuthenticM (3707 posts) -

@phrali said:

is it really any worse than "Super Mario Galaxy" or "Paper Mario the 1000 year door" or whatever, or how about "MARIO PARTY 12!!!!!!!!!!!!"?

Yes it is. Those were standard titles; I don't see anything wrong with them.

I did not think Nintendo could come up with a worse name than New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I was wrong.

#17 Posted by Irvandus (2875 posts) -
@awadnin said:
(Super Mario Land 3D)  i like this title more :]
Mhm
#18 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

Meh, decent enough.

#19 Posted by Dalai (7017 posts) -

For Nintendo, that's actually pretty normal. Besides, it's what's inside that counts.

#20 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

Yeah I agree that is a pretty stupid title. Might sway me into buying a 3ds when it comes out though.

#21 Posted by AlisterCat (5522 posts) -

When I'm jumping on Goomba's heads I rarely think of what this game is called. An Italian plumper who doesn't work, lives with his lanky brother and is/isn't dating a cocktease tyrant sounds pretty stupid to me too.

#22 Posted by Nux (2325 posts) -

I don't know why Nintendo has to put 3D at the end of every title of every game for the 3DS.

#23 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

I hate when they put 3D in the tittle, because it makes me think that there making the fact that you can see it in 3D a big deal, because I will be playing it in 2D

#24 Posted by solidejake (484 posts) -

Yeah, that is awkwardly put.

#25 Posted by Icemael (6314 posts) -

It is the worst. Even "New Super Mario Bros. Wii" is better, and that is an awful name.

#26 Posted by LiquidPrince (15902 posts) -

Agreed.

#27 Posted by Bribo (598 posts) -

"The 3D Super Mario Bros. Land: Beyond Thunderdome"

There, I fixed it.

#28 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

"Super Mario 3D" sounds like it would be a full on console title since the Land name has classically been used with the handheld Mario platformers. And Super Mario Land 3D just makes me think of a 3D Classics version of Super Mario Land, which shouldn't be ruled out.

Yes Super Mario 3D Land sounds weird, but I totally see why they chose it.

#29 Posted by RainyFridays (13 posts) -

Something cool like Super Mario Galaxy, I mean it's not that bad compared to NSMB Wii, but still. Super Mario 3DS would sound sorta original like Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS. 

#30 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

I'm glad they didn't just call it Super Mario 3D. It's lazy name-making, and makes me think of Rayman and Splinter Cell 3D which had both that and lazy game-making. 3D Land makes it seem like more than just a throwaway port.

#31 Posted by Digifiend (42 posts) -
@iDarktread said:
Super Mario Land 3D would be the name of a Super Mario Land remake, in 3D, on the 3DS. Super Mario 3D Land makes more sense because of that.
Agreed. It's a reference to Super Mario Land, but the game seems to actually be a sequel to Super Mario Bros. 3
#32 Posted by MidgardDragon (152 posts) -

@Nux said:

I don't know why Nintendo has to put 3D at the end of every title of every game for the 3DS.

Don't remember the N64? Or Super Nintendo for that matter? Everything was "Something 64" or "Super Thing".

#33 Posted by MidgardDragon (152 posts) -

@Hizang said:

I hate when they put 3D in the tittle, because it makes me think that there making the fact that you can see it in 3D a big deal, because I will be playing it in 2D

I just want to point out that anyone playing this game in 2D is failing, hard. I wouldn't say that about any other game, even though I believe both Star Fox and Ocarina of Time benefited in places from 3D, but for this one it's absolutely *essential*.

#34 Posted by TooWalrus (13156 posts) -

I kind have wish they'd have called it Super Mario Bros. 3D (you know, cause it's got that tanooki suit), then they could have thrown in a 3D version of SMB3 while they were at it.

#35 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Games have dumb names a lot and it sure is silly to care.

#36 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

@MidgardDragon said:

@Hizang said:

I just want to point out that anyone playing this game in 2D is failing, hard. I wouldn't say that about any other game, even though I believe both Star Fox and Ocarina of Time benefited in places from 3D, but for this one it's absolutely *essential*.

Hey so I wrote that 3 months ago before the game came out, that comment was based around the other games that I had played having crappy 3D. Super Mario 3D Land however is the first 3DS game I can play in 3D, and I must say it does a really good job at being in 3D.

#37 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Super Mario Furry Dating Sim 3D.

#38 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (724 posts) -

Whats not to get? The game is "Super", has "Mario", is in "3D' and takes place on "Land".

#39 Posted by csl316 (8369 posts) -

Well, Super Mario 3D Land 2 will make more sense than SML 3D 2 whenever that comes around.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.