Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario 3D World

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 21, 2013

The Super Mario Bros. 2-cast of Mario, Luigi, Toad and Peach returns for their first 3D adventure with local multiplayer support. And cat suits. In HD.

Reviews are out! Nintendo is so doomed you guys.

• 96 results
    deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hmmm... Maybe I should buy a WiiU.

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This quote from the Kotaku snippet seems to imply that this will have a new game + a la 3d land.

Yes - SM3DW is a fantastic game. Just...fun, from beginning to "end".

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am with Chris Kohler who laments that the push for 4 player makes it good but not as good as Mario Galaxy.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean this game isn't going to help Nintendo THAT much so they are still kind of "doomed". I hope it does though.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

..... I need a Wii U.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I would totally pick up a wii u for this and Zelda, if the Wii U were $200 instead of $300.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

i love threads like this... as if Nintendo didnt have amazing games before. Its the same shit as always, you get the Nintendo system for the (usually) awesome first party stuff...and thats it. Make this thread in 2 years when every game is a ps4 and xbone exclusive and the WiiU is in the same place (games wise) as the Wii was...only without the sales.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Uh huh, going totals NEXT GEN this xmas, buying a wiiu, youz guys

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Fucking Cat Suits

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I just can't play anymore Mario games, it's as bad to me as Call of Duty is to others, but all the power to ya if you can.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By Sambambo

The problem with Nintendo games is that they are nothing new. Im not going to buy a system to play a game in a series that I have played to death before. There are so few surprises.

@jothel said:

Just imagine what this team could do if they weren't tied down with Nintendo/WiiU stuff.

Um what? They've made one of the best games of the year and you're complaining?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who got the best lawnch window title NOWW????

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem with Nintendo games is that they are nothing new. Im not going to buy a system to play a game in a series that I have played to death before. There are so few surprises.

@hunkulese said:

@jothel said:

Just imagine what this team could do if they weren't tied down with Nintendo/WiiU stuff.

what if i told you that this was the Dark Soiuls of Mario Games

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@hunkulese said:

@jothel said:

Then why are you complaining? What you're saying sounds like you want to play the game, but you don't want to play the game.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how great would it be if the duders snuck this in in the middle of the xbone livesteam?

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@dixavd said:

I'm buying a WiiU this Christmas for this, Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD. And I am pretty pumped about this game (despite still disliking Mario a lot and getting bored of Mario Galaxy - but this looks like some of my favourite parts of the games I have liked).

Make sure to at least check out the demos for The Wonderful 101 (one of the best and craziest games of the year!) and ZombiU (survival horror lives!). And get Toki Tori 2+. One of the smartest and best designed video games of 2013. Boom.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Looking forward to getting a Wii U someday.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#68  Edited By peritus

@jimmyfenix: "I will probably never pick up a Wii U so enjoy this game Wii U owners!!"

I will! :-)

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I have zero interest in a Mario game. I bought my Wii U for Zelda mostly. Hurry up with that Nintendo.

cadwr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked up a Wii U from AWD for $200-ish last month, largely in anticipation of this game. The reviews so far are stoking my anticipation- I can't wait til it gets here.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the only console game I'm remotely interested in, I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@def said:

@dixavd said:

I'm buying a WiiU this Christmas for this, Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD. And I am pretty pumped about this game (despite still disliking Mario a lot and getting bored of Mario Galaxy - but this looks like some of my favourite parts of the games I have liked).

Make sure to at least check out the demos for The Wonderful 101 (one of the best and craziest games of the year!) and ZombiU (survival horror lives!). And get Toki Tori 2+. One of the smartest and best designed video games of 2013. Boom.

Thanks for the recommendations. At the moment I'm being very stringent with myself on buying games I know I will play in the not-so-distant future; so I'll probably leave those games until I've finished a lot more of the games I will/have bought this year. But of course I'll check out those demos and I'll keep an eye out for deals in the mean time! :D

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm. Now just give me a Zelda and Metroid game, Ninty, and I'll buy one of your consoles. And the games of course.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Dang, now I need to purchase a Wii U for a sum of money somewhere down the road, and that bums me out probably more than it should.

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome. Game seems to be amazing. I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Never count Nintendo out!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

One more game that makes purchasing a Wii U slightly more enticing. I'll buy it one day.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By csl316

Yep, it's a system seller.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

One more game that makes purchasing a Wii U slightly more enticing. I'll buy it one day.

I feel the same way.

No one thinks Nintendo can't make good games, to address the title's kind of message. It's just they are the only one making the games that are worthwhile. They need to keep putting out games.

My issue also is just that they are splitting their great games between two consoles. If you could put those all together into one console (maybe cross play or something?) I would buy one of those options very quickly here.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Darji
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Ouch, and without next-gen competition hitting there this year. Bummer. But to be fair, the previous three had bigger install bases at the game's release (with the Wii being a fad that would be impossible to recreate these days).

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By sjosz

I ended up picking up a WiiU for this game. So far it's pretty wonderful. The WiiU is a strange device.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So yeah this topic backfired. Flopped like crazy in Japan.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I blame cats.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#84  Edited By Hailinel

@kishinfoulux: This topic didn't backfire. (You should look up what that word means.) One week of sales is also hardly just ndicative of whether the game is a bomb or not. Look at the longtails on Darji's attempt at a gotcha; Even Super Mario 64 DS sold respectably despite weak first-week sales.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By sjosz

@hailinel: SM64DS may be the exception to a rule, though. First week sales are pretty indicative of the game's lifetime sales performance in general.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Darji

@hailinel said:

@kishinfoulux: This topic didn't backfire. (You should look up what that word means.) One week of sales is also hardly just ndicative of whether the game is a bomb or not. Look at the longtails on Darji's attempt at a gotcha; Even Super Mario 64 DS sold respectably despite weak first-week sales.

The Wii U hardware got up by like 7K with an already very low userbase to begin with. This this bombed pretty badly with only less than 10% Wii U owners picking this game up. The Wii U is just dead. There is nothing that can save the Wii U anymore.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Ever the alarmist. Darji, you have never once presented yourself as someone worth my taking seriously. Not in sexism threads, not in threads about other games or consoles. There is no reason I should feel compelled to take you seriously now. While the Wii U may turn out to be a commercial failure, I'd take that news a lot more seriously coming from someone other than you.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Darji

@hailinel said:

@darji: Ever the alarmist. Darji, you have never once presented yourself as someone worth my taking seriously. Not in sexism threads, not in threads about other games or consoles. There is no reason I should feel compelled to take you seriously now. While the Wii U may turn out to be a commercial failure, I'd take that news a lot more seriously coming from someone other than you.

I can not fake numbers. I am sorry. It is a dire situation for Nintendo right now. They even have the normal quality of their games like this great Mario game but the Wii U just does not sell. Again this has nothing to do with Sony or Microsoft if you believe or not. And a game like Mario, even I do not like it deserves better sales. And Japan is not even the worst market. In Europe for example they had negative shipments in the last financial report. The best would be for Nintendo to move on and stop this disaster before it is really to late and puts Nintendo completely out of the game.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Okay I'll be back in a few weeks when it's sales continue to be middling. Then I'll say it backfired again. It's a Mario game and a super well reviewed one too. It flopped.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: Backfire (v):

1. (Engineering / Automotive Engineering) (of an internal-combustion engine) to emit a loud noise as a result of an explosion in the inlet manifold or exhaust system

2. to fail to have the desired or expected effect his plans backfired on him

3. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Forestry) to start a controlled fire in order to halt an advancing forest or prairie fire by creating a barren area

This thread does not do any of these things. It can be argued that definition #2 could apply to the game itself, in terms of being a catalyst for Wii U sales, but this thread did not specifically backfire.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont understand the appeal of this game. It seems completely mindless and uninspired; a by the numbers platformer with coop. Cool. Why should I care? Because it's nintendo?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont understand the appeal of this game. It seems completely mindless and uninspired; a by the numbers platformer with coop. Cool. Why should I care? Because it's nintendo?

What about it makes it look by the numbers or uninspired?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@naru_joe93 said:

it looks like a super mario game with very minor additions. You jump on things, you collect things, you play as old ass characters, it's art design is the same as every other 3d mario game (though more graphically impressive). You can play with other people (havent seen that before...). There's suits -a cat suit- that changes how your character moves. Im guessing each levels platforming gets harder than the next.

For me to be interested in a platformer, it has to do something really crazy things with the formula. This does not seem like it does anything crazy or interesting.

Also, Im not saying it's impossible for a mario platformer to be interesting, SMG is proof that a mario game can smartly iterate on the formula.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Hailinel

@hailinel said:

@naru_joe93 said:

it looks like a super mario game with very minor additions. You jump on things, you collect things, you play as old ass characters, it's art design is the same as every other 3d mario game (though more graphically impressive). You can play with other people (havent seen that before...). There's suits -a cat suit- that changes how your character moves. Im guessing each levels platforming gets harder than the next.

For me to be interested in a platformer, it has to do something really crazy things with the formula. This does not seem like it does anything crazy or interesting.

Also, Im not saying it's impossible for a mario platformer to be interesting, SMG is proof that a mario game can smartly iterate on the formula.

It doesn't have that mind-blowing quality to the planet-based level design in Galaxy, but the stages are creatively well-designed and offer a great deal of variety, even in individual worlds. Where Galaxy was an evolution of the games in the vein of 64 and Sunshine, 3D World is a direct successor to 3D Land, so it has a lot of the same aesthetic and ideas, but is much broader in scope and brings some new twists along with it.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's odd to me that everybody glorifies Galaxy 2, when I really found it super boring compared to 1.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#96  Edited By ProfessorEss

This game was getting me close but the desire is starting to wane.

Mario's difficulty level concerns me but ultimately Nintendo splitting all their best between two devices is what has put me back into waiting for the next big price drop or model. Considering the weight Nintendo has to carry for both devices I don't see the quality or the frequency going up for either in the foreseeable future.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Master_Funk

Was close to getting a WiiU after reading patrick's review. Then I thought about the future of the WiiU, and how there would probably only be 5 more games I would actually buy for it, and decided not to get it. I'll just wait till 2014 to get a PS4 instead.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.