Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario 3D World

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 21, 2013

The Super Mario Bros. 2-cast of Mario, Luigi, Toad and Peach returns for their first 3D adventure with local multiplayer support. And cat suits. In HD.

Will I need two Wii-U controllers for multiplayer?

Buble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I just bought a Wii-U, it's due to arrive Monday, and this is the first game I am going to get. I am just wondering how the multiplayer is going to work as I wanted to play co-op with my girlfriend.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Well, yes. You might be way more comfortable with the Pro controller. But you only need to buy 1 pro, and you can use the Wii U pad you already have. I doubt I'm wrong.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

The game supports the Wii U gamepad, WIi U Pro controllers, and the Wii remote+nunchuck.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hope it's not like the 2D Mario where you could only use the wii u controller for multiplayer to place blocks.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The game supports the Wii U gamepad, WIi U Pro controllers, and the Wii remote+nunchuck.

no classic controller? D:

DrZing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It supports literally any Wii or Wii U controller I believe: Wiimote, Wiimote with nunchuck, Pro, or Classic. Maybe not the balance board... ;) The e-manual lists all the button changes. You do need the gamepad for some things e.g. Toad's puzzle levels for camera control, blowing on the mic (lol), and so on. Nintendo usually goes to great lengths for multiplayer titles to make it pretty likely you can scrape together enough controllers for everyone.

spiredcrescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So we can use the gamepad along with another controller such as pro controller instead of that stupid 1st player placing blocks stuff?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Player 1 will be Gamepad. Player 2 can be Wii U Pro Controller, Wii Remote, Wii Classic Controller, or Wii Remote + Nunchuck.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Any controller you can use with the Wii U you can use with Super Mario 3D World.

emmak1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By emmak1981

I wasn't aware of a 'Pro Controller', as all I got 1 year 6 months ago when I first bought my Wii U was the games machine and gamepad. You can also link in multiplayer mode by using your old Wii controllers/nunchucks - but if you never bought the previous Wii the Pro Controller is the better option, especially like with mine if it's not included in the package.

I'm saving to get the Mariokart 8 game. :)

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ducksworth

At the moment, there are no games that support multiple Wii U tablet controllers. Using a tablet controller is optional for both single-player and multi-player but you do miss out on a handful of levels in single-player. You can choose to use Wii Remotes + Nunchuck, Wii U Pro Controller or the Wii Classic Controller Pro.

Edit:

y u bump dis?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.