Super Mario All Stars Limited Edition - How limited?

#1 Posted by AgentMOO (186 posts) -

 As Brad mentioned in his news post, the limited edition release of Super Mario All Stars is coming to the US in december, and Amazon is accepting preorders now for $30. Do you guys think this will be limited to a small run of copies or will we be able to buy this in stores? It seems unlikely that the game would see a release on the virtual console at a later date with the dwindling amount of content the VC has been receiving.

#2 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@AgentMOO:  
I'd say maybe 3 million copies total. 
 
 
for the US/Puerto Rico.
#3 Posted by TooWalrus (13169 posts) -

Don't pay $30 for Mario All-stars.

#4 Posted by DeF (4861 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" Don't pay $30 for Mario All-stars. "
you pay $30 for Mario All-Stars + a Music CD + a History Book + a nice Box :)
#5 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" Don't pay $30 for Mario All-stars. "
Damn, lets not go into this discussion again... 
 
Super Mario Bros. - 500 Wii Points 
Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels - 600 Wii Points 
Super Mario Bros 2 - 500 Wii Points 
Super Mario Bros. 3 - 500 Wii Points 
------------------------------------------------- 
Total Carnage = 2100 Wii Points = $21 US 
------------------------------------------------- 
+Booklet - Maybe $5? 
+CD - Maybe $5? 
------------------------------------------------- 
Total Carnage 2: Snake's Revenge = $31 US 
All-Stars Price = $30 + tax and/or shipping  

Plus, these are NOT the original NES games. This is All-Stars for the SNES, meaning SNES graphics and sound. 
I'm sure they'll release All-Stars on the Virtual Console for 8 bucks. Then people can get their All-Stars if they want it. 
 
Myself, I am paying for a PHYSICAL copy of the SNES game on disc. And I'm getting a music CD with a history book (which I'm hoping I can get good ideas from) and a nice red box.
#6 Posted by Teaspoon83 (623 posts) -

I already purchased Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros 3 on the virtual console. The great thing about is the complete absence of a disc. My children can play to there hearts' content and at the end of the day, I don't have to worry about a disc being broken. 
 
What they are offering, sounds nice and I suppose if you are a big fan of the games, why not get it? It is only $30 bucks.

#7 Edited by s3ank1m (126 posts) -

I can bet you that you'll be able to pick this up in stores without a problem. 
 
And id personally buy it from a nostalgic value. It was my first game :')

#8 Edited by TooWalrus (13169 posts) -
@Emilio:  Sounds like you "not go into this discussion again" pretty hard, especially since you're replying to a post from last week.
 
I'm not usually one of those guys who claims Super Mario Galaxy was the same as Super Mario 64, and that Nintendo just shovels out the same games over and over again, but in this case, they're selling a $5 game on ebay for $30.
 
Nintendo are capable of awesome things, and if this anniversary was really important to them, they would have done something awesome with those games, like re-drawing all the sprites, or using the NSMB engine. At the very least they could have extended the edges of the screen to make it widescreen. 
 
 I already have this game on the NES, SNES, GBA, Virtual Console. This is the 5th time they've released Super Mario Bros. 3, and I won't pay for it again until they do something different with it.
#9 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" @Emilio:  Sounds like you "not go into this discussion again" pretty hard, especially since you're replying to a post from last week.  I'm not usually one of those guys who claims Super Mario Galaxy was the same as Super Mario 64, and that Nintendo just shovels out the same games over and over again, but in this case, they're selling a $5 game on ebay for $30.  Nintendo are capable of awesome things, and if this anniversary was really important to them, they would have done something awesome with those games, like re-drawing all the sprites, or using the NSMB engine. At the very least they could have extended the edges of the screen to make it widescreen.    I already have this game on the NES, SNES, GBA, Virtual Console. This is the 5th time they've released Super Mario Bros. 3, and I won't pay for it again until they do something different with it. "
Knowing all this, and feeling the same way, I still want it.  My body is itching for the damn thing.  I am a fucking whore.
#10 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I got a copy the other day, I hope its Limited, goes well with my Limited Edition Red Wii :)
#11 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" Don't pay $30 for Mario All-stars. "
Sadly, I agree.  Just get the game on emulator.
#12 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

The booklet sadly isn't even all that good
#13 Posted by Bollard (5441 posts) -
@Emilio: Doesn't All Stars have Super Mario World on it as well? Clearly the best thing on there.
#14 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -
@Chavtheworld said:
" @Emilio: Doesn't All Stars have Super Mario World on it as well? Clearly the best thing on there. "
This version doesn't.
#15 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @TooWalrus said:
" Don't pay $30 for Mario All-stars. "
Sadly, I agree.  Just get the game on emulator. "
Piracy!? :O *banhammer. 
 
I'm buying it for collection purposes. I want to see that artbook and stuff that is supposedly included. 
#16 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -
@Apathylad said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" @TooWalrus said:
" Don't pay $30 for Mario All-stars. "
Sadly, I agree.  Just get the game on emulator. "
Piracy!? :O *banhammer.  I'm buying it for collection purposes. I want to see that artbook and stuff that is supposedly included.  "
The game is only 2 MB on SNES.
#17 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@TooWalrus:  
You already bought it 4 times, why not buy it AGAIN!? And I'm bringing this up because we need more discussions.
 
@Godwind: 
Ooh you slut! Lets you and me fuck like Donkey Kong. 
 
@Chavtheworld:  
Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World has SMW. This is the earlier version of the All-Stars release.   
 
@JJOR64:
That's always everybody response. "If you want an old game, just emulate it" Yeah, I could agree to that if say, I didn't have the hardware to play the game, but in this case I DO. Plus, this way I can actually play the game on a TV, and invite hot babes to play two player Super Mario Bros 3. 
 
inb4 "i know you have an s-video set up from your laptop to your tv, so just dual monitor, you baboon" yeah right!! 
#18 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Halo 2 Collector's Edition limited, so it's easier to find than the normal version.

#19 Posted by Bollard (5441 posts) -
@JJOR64: Well don't buy this version. /thread
#20 Posted by TheHBK (5474 posts) -

I have the catridge on my SNES.  I don't think I'd pay for a disc version.  But if they had included Super Mario world, then I would get it.  World and the Red box would be enough.  But not all stars alone.

#21 Posted by CharleyTony (924 posts) -

I just got my copy today, this could have been a downloadable game, if all those games weren't already on the virtual console.  
nothing to make it worth that much money. no 16:9 support (not even sidebars), nothing has been redone, it still show you a super nes game pad when choosing the control options. 
when you remove the nostalgia or collector's aspect, nothing more than those 4 mario games that are worth about 5 $ on the VC... 
 
:(

#22 Posted by Hailinel (24417 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @Apathylad said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" @TooWalrus said:
" Don't pay $30 for Mario All-stars. "
Sadly, I agree.  Just get the game on emulator. "
Piracy!? :O *banhammer.  I'm buying it for collection purposes. I want to see that artbook and stuff that is supposedly included.  "
The game is only 2 MB on SNES. "
What does file size have to do with anything?
Online
#23 Posted by TehJames (199 posts) -

It wont be limited at all.

#24 Posted by Hailinel (24417 posts) -
@TehJames said:
" It wont be limited at all. "
I'm sure that there were some people that said that about Metroid Prime Trilogy.  They were wrong.
Online
#25 Posted by TehJames (199 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @TehJames said:
" It wont be limited at all. "
I'm sure that there were some people that said that about Metroid Prime Trilogy.  They were wrong. "
 
My friend went to the store and bought Trilogy yesterday so you can still get it.
#26 Posted by Hailinel (24417 posts) -
@TehJames said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @TehJames said:
" It wont be limited at all. "
I'm sure that there were some people that said that about Metroid Prime Trilogy.  They were wrong. "
 
My friend went to the store and bought Trilogy yesterday so you can still get it.
"
Then it's an old copy.  Nintendo stopped production on Trilogy a long time ago.
Online
#27 Edited by sixdemonbag (77 posts) -

My problem is the disc jacket for the game has a full retail work up on the back and a different UPC number than the outside of the package.  Maybe they're doing this "LE" for the book and soundtrack and then selling the stand alone disc at a later time with a cheaper price.
#28 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

Just got my package today. I mean, I'm waiting to play the disc later, but I dunno, I do feel a bit ripped off. 
 
I should have listened. :( 
 
Basically my only problem is that this booklet celebrating Super Mario Bros history is like a weak ass pamphlet. It barely goes over nothing, and none of the Japanese text is even translated. There are simple one line quotes by folks from Nintendo, but that's it. Most of the book is just cheap ass pictures, and a bunch of red color. 
 
I mean, jeez, it is really that hard to cram a book full of information on the games? Its like Portrait of Ruin all over again when I was expecting this big ass box full of goodies. ( I mean, it was a good box full of goodies, but again, they exaggerate the size of the actual booklet, which is the only thing that's wrong with this.) 
 
CD seems to be all right. 10 tracks of music, 10 tracks of sfx. 
 
Yes, I have to say it now, DOWNLOAD the booklet and CD, wait for the Virtual Console release.

#29 Posted by thunderPIN (12 posts) -

 It seems this release will be pretty limited for those of you who are interested in getting a copy. EB Games is only getting in 1 shipment per store. One of the workers at my local store told me this.

#30 Posted by Darth Paul (108 posts) -

I really wanted this game because of the extras and even went all over town to try and found out that it's basically gone and the only way to get a copy now is to either wait for a vc version of all-stars, or get the disc months from now used at half-price. I also really only wanted it mostly for the extras, but after much research from others' comments I can see that waiting longer to get it later isn't such a bad idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.