Super Mario Bros. 3 was a stage play, my mind is blown.

#1 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

I just realized this now and my mind has been blown. Seriously SMB3 is one of my favourite games and just finding this out has made it even cooler to me. So am I an idiot because you guys already knew this or are you just finding this out like me? I found this pic on the interwebz. 

#2 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -

I didn't realize it until I saw a similar image a couple years ago.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18993 posts) -

My mind is officially blown.

#4 Posted by jasonefmonk (350 posts) -

I've known about this for while, but it blew my mind when I found out. I didn't know back in the 90s when I played it.

#5 Posted by Teaspoon83 (624 posts) -

...hmm, not mind blowing but interesting.  

Now Phoenix Down.... that was mind blowing.

#6 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -
@Teaspoon83: Yes I have to agree with that example, I was with Jeff 100% when he was blown away by Phoenix Down. 
#7 Posted by Brendan (7811 posts) -

This is 75% as mindblowing as when I discovered what "pheonix down" was.  My mind has been twice-blown.
#8 Posted by yinstarrunner (1199 posts) -

This definitely blew my mind  when I saw it a year or two ago.

#9 Posted by clarke0 (1077 posts) -

OH...SHIT. Mind was definitely blown, I never really thought about the curtain opening or what the visual cues meant... why exactly would they make this design choice though?

#10 Edited by myketuna (1697 posts) -

I knew it was a play, but I didn't see all the clues (shadows, bolts, etc.) until right now. Interesting stuff.

Also, Can someone explain Phoenix Down to me real quick? I listened to that podcast, but I was in and out considering I was working out at the time. I meant to go back, but never did.

#11 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3091 posts) -
@clarke0:
Well, it doesn't seem like Mario and Bowser have really been trying to take each other out seriously for years.  Maybe they put on this show for kicks, to relive the glory days a little?
Also, I still don't understand how people didn't get Phoenix Down.  I mean... really, what else would it be?
#12 Edited by Zithe (1045 posts) -
@myketuna said:

" I knew it was a play, but I didn't see all the clues (shadows, bolts, etc.) until right now. Interesting stuff.  Also, Can someone explain to me Phoenix Down to me real quick? I listened to that podcast, but I was in and out considering I was working out at the time. I meant to go back, but never did. "

Pretty much just this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_feather

I believe Jeff's comment was something along the lines of "I thought it just meant you revived them because they were down," or something like that.

Edit: Here ya go.
#13 Edited by Finstern (642 posts) -
@myketuna: I don't remember it word for word but I believe Jeff thought it was just a crazy random japanese name for an item, then someone else mentioned that it was also called "a tuft of phoenix down" and everyone was like "what?" then Brad made the connection between tuft and feathers and down = feathers like in pillows etc. 

Then minds were blown as they realised it was actually a feather of a phoenix (bird that dies and rises again) being used to revive fallen characters    
#14 Posted by myketuna (1697 posts) -
@Zithe: Ah, ok. Phoenix DOWN. I didn't even know about "down (feathers)". Heh. Cool.
#15 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
#16 Edited by Ignor (2372 posts) -

#17 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -

This seems ridiculous to be blown away about, I found the "Mario is a communist" more interesting.

#18 Edited by captain_clayman (3321 posts) -
@Ignor:

lmfao that's even better.
#19 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

#20 Posted by Ignor (2372 posts) -

Mario's not from Italy either. Yoshi's Island is actually canon.

#21 Posted by Hailinel (24811 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" @Teaspoon83: Yes I have to agree with that example, I was with Jeff 100% when he was blown away by Phoenix Down.  "

Super Mario Bros. 3 as a stage play blew my mind when I first realized it.  Hearing Jeff have his mind blow at the realization of what Phoenix Down is just made me facepalm.
#22 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@Brendan said:
" This is 75% as mindblowing as when I discovered what "pheonix down" was.  My mind has been twice-blown. "
Would it dumb if I asked what a "phoenix down" is...?
#23 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Reminds me of that menu music secret on the Gamecube. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.