Ramis Passed on Mario Movie

Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
Seriously, it couldn't have been worse than this, right?
Harold Ramis
--AKA Dr. Egon Spengler--has been doing a fair amount of press surrounding this week's release of Ghostbusters: The Video Game, as well as his new Jack Black/Michael Cera movie Year One. In a personally pleasing bit of cosmic alignment, he spoke with the Associated Press earlier this week about his near-miss experience with the Super Mario Bros. movie, which just so happens to be the subject of this week's TANG. Weird timing, right?

According to Ramis, producer Roland Joffe asked him to direct Super Mario Bros., which Ramis went so far as to take a meeting on, as he was a fan of the game. Considering the entirely deserved notoriety surrounding Super Mario Bros., I can't blame Ramis for saying that "I'm glad I said no," but I can't help imagine how much better that movie might've been with the guy who directed Caddyshack, National Lampoon's Vacation, and Groundhog Day at the helm.

#1 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
Seriously, it couldn't have been worse than this, right?
Harold Ramis
--AKA Dr. Egon Spengler--has been doing a fair amount of press surrounding this week's release of Ghostbusters: The Video Game, as well as his new Jack Black/Michael Cera movie Year One. In a personally pleasing bit of cosmic alignment, he spoke with the Associated Press earlier this week about his near-miss experience with the Super Mario Bros. movie, which just so happens to be the subject of this week's TANG. Weird timing, right?

According to Ramis, producer Roland Joffe asked him to direct Super Mario Bros., which Ramis went so far as to take a meeting on, as he was a fan of the game. Considering the entirely deserved notoriety surrounding Super Mario Bros., I can't blame Ramis for saying that "I'm glad I said no," but I can't help imagine how much better that movie might've been with the guy who directed Caddyshack, National Lampoon's Vacation, and Groundhog Day at the helm.

#2 Posted by mrbasehart (92 posts) -

Well, Roland Joffe is the man behind the laugh riot that is The Killing Fields, so he's obviously perfectly qualified to produce a Super Mario Bros. move.  :)

#3 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -

I might have seen that movie, it could have been "decent".
too bad it's a pile of horse manure

#4 Posted by jakob187 (21729 posts) -

Odd trivia indeed, Trebek!

#5 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -

Ryan, did you know the tagline for Super Mario Bros. the movie is "This Ain't No Game, It's a Live-Action Thrill Ride!"? ;O

#6 Posted by _Horde (839 posts) -

Talk about dodging a bullet.

#7 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
@nanikore said:
" Ryan, did you know the tagline for Super Mario Bros. the movie is "This Ain't No Game, It's a Live-Action Thrill Ride!"? ;O "
Why do you think it's called This Ain't No Game?
#8 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

The worst part here is that I absolutely loved this movie when i saw this as a kid...

#9 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

While it would probably still be a weird movie, I'm sure it would've been at least a little better.

#10 Posted by usedtype (97 posts) -

He also wrote and directed Analyze This and Analyze That and those films were kind of aweful, so a Ramis directed Mario would probably still been pretty crap.

#11 Posted by Dimsey (964 posts) -

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person that likes the movie. Oh well.

#12 Posted by Zripwud (247 posts) -
@Dimsey: You are Dimsey... sorry to say so.
#13 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

Probably for the best.

#14 Posted by TheClap (538 posts) -

Rodney Dangerfield as Koopa?  Better?  Yes?

#15 Posted by Kajaah117 (1070 posts) -

Year One just looks... just... it's... ugh. How can the person who made Groundhog's Day create such an abomination?

#16 Posted by DerekDanahy (880 posts) -

Topical!

#17 Posted by iAmJohn (6131 posts) -

Man, you know what?  It may be a terrible Mario movie, but it's so ridiculous and bizarre that it's awesome.  You gave that movie way too much hate, Ryan. :\

#18 Posted by CoverlessTech (749 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" Man, you know what?  It may be a terrible Mario movie, but it's so ridiculous and bizarre that it's awesome.  You gave that movie way too much hate, Ryan. :\ "
Have you actually ever watched it? Recently?
#19 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" Man, you know what?  It may be a terrible Mario movie, but it's so ridiculous and bizarre that it's awesome.  You gave that movie way too much hate, Ryan. :\ "
That movie is decidedly less than awesome. It is so less than awesome it is below stupid. It is so below stupid that I'm surprised that the movie hasn't been buried along with E.T.
#20 Posted by spiceninja (3065 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
In no way is that movie awesome. It's horrible.
#21 Posted by RiddleBrother (511 posts) -
@CoverlessTech said:
" @iAmJohn said:
Have you actually ever watched it? Recently? "
Yeah, you should try. I bet you couldn't finish it. It's seriously poisonous.
#22 Posted by Death_Burnout (3800 posts) -
@RiddleBrother said:
" @CoverlessTech said:
" @iAmJohn said:
Have you actually ever watched it? Recently? "
Yeah, you should try. I bet you couldn't finish it. It's seriously poisonous. "
I watched it last year, i enjoyed it more (and to some extent hated it more) than i ever did growing up.
#23 Posted by Surllio (28 posts) -

Ramis is a better writer then a director, but he brings that comedic edge when he directs.  I love most of his work.

#24 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11995 posts) -

Wait? Harold Ramis is doing Year One, which looks absolutely terrible? Oh well. At least he didn't do the Mario movie, which is absolutely terrible.

#25 Posted by JestSpider (5 posts) -

People always talk about how videogame movies are horrible, well it all began (to the best of my knowledge) with THIS piece of crap. I saw this movie in the theaters when I was about 8, and I knew as an 8 year old that this movie sucked. DENNIS fuckin Hopper was in this movie and it still blew. Koopa wasn't even a dragon, he was just a dude w/ bad skin. Seriously, this movie makes Uwe Bolle look like Steven Spieldberg

#26 Posted by auspiciousqueue (1298 posts) -

Ramis has extreme hit and miss films. Some I love, some I really can't stand. I wonder what that film would have been like, though...

#27 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -
That movie was just awful.  I mean who in there right mind would want to watch that crappy ass movie.  My turds could make a better mario movie, then they could have.
#28 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

Groundhog Day was just about the best movie ever... it couldn't have been any worse than the actual product.

#29 Posted by theMcNasty (740 posts) -

I dunno.  It still would've been the same godawful script, right?

#30 Posted by GioVANNI (1292 posts) -
Caddyshack, National Lampoon's Vacation, and Groundhog Day are all awesome movies.
#31 Posted by dQuarters (178 posts) -

Giant Bomb is nothing if not topical.

#32 Posted by Optiow (1745 posts) -

It sounds horrible.

#33 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3096 posts) -

A Mario movie directed by Harold Ramis and Luigi played by Harold Ramis would be the most amazing (video game) movie ever.

#34 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
If they wanted to make a decent Super Mario bros. movie, they should take a look at how the Wachowski Bros brilliantly handled Speed Racer. 
As opposed to this Super Mario Bros movie, Speed Racer didnt take itself too serious, at all. It didn't bother trying to explain silly things like their names, or why people race these insane races etc etc or why this boy has a monkey friend/pet. If they want a good Mario movie, just do it like that, and skip all of that stupid ass explaining, and trying to make sene out of everything for live-action. 
#35 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@GioVANNI said:
" Caddyshack, National Lampoon's Vacation, and Groundhog Day are all awesome movies.
"
those are excellent movies!!!! some of my all time favorites!
#36 Posted by smokeH (281 posts) -

holy....I had no clue he directed groundshog day, that movie was awesome haha. Hmm would have been an interesting outcome.

#37 Posted by AnthraX (36 posts) -

Yep, that movie sucked major arse!!!!

#38 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

At least Daisy was hot.

Benny Blanco as Luigi...

Was that a Newt hot dog?

#39 Posted by angelkanarias (1440 posts) -

Groundhog Day was an awesome movie.

#40 Posted by Bigandtasty (3203 posts) -

I read the title as "Ramis pissed on Mario Movie"

#41 Edited by rpdcopzombie (3 posts) -

surely harold ramis version wouldnt have been as bad as the pile of turd we now have. imagine this:

harold ramis = luigi
dan arkroyd = mario
steve martin (he was funnier back then) = toad
john candy = bowser
bill murray = kamek!!

this would have been amazing surely!!!

#42 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

I really don't want to think 'what if' scenarios

Mario Bros. Movie is terrible

#43 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I don't see the movie being much better with his directing unless he wrote it. Maybe that could've been special.

#44 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1549 posts) -
@rpdcopzombie: steve martin still is funny, what do you mean "he was funny back then"

Yeah I think most of us agree the movie sucks by today's standards, but when I saw it as a kid I enjoyed it.  Looking back, there's a bunch of over-the-top rediculous movies from that time period that just aren't funny to me anymore.  However, I do think it would of been much more funnier with a better director. Also I think it was directed for what Hollywood envisioned the Super Mario Brother's  gamer demographic.  I agree, I think Ryan was a bit harsh, but he definitely isn't alone.  Most people hated it, but some (mostly kids I assume) loved it.

Hell, even the Washington Post rated it decently at the time.  Although no matter how we look at it, it flopped in the eyes of the world.

#45 Posted by rpdcopzombie (3 posts) -
@Out_On_Bail:
i simply mean the movies steve martin made in the late 80s/early 90s were far funnier than anything hes done of recent years. simply because he was younger and seems to have had more energy then. but just imagine what that movie would have been like!!
#46 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1549 posts) -
@rpdcopzombie: Oh.  Well then you are correct. I cannot argue your logic there. :)
#47 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

amazing movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.