Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Bros.

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 13, 1985

Focusing on a humble plumber and his brother setting out to rescue a Princess who has been kidnapped by a vile lizard king, Super Mario Bros. is a platformer created by Shigeru Miyamoto, published by Nintendo, and is one of the best-selling video games of all time.

Who is this Super Mario Bros. artist?

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jewunit

I looked at a promotional image from Harmoknight recently.

No Caption Provided

It reminded me of some of the old Japanese Super Mario Bros. artwork from the NES/Famicom era.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I would like to know who was the artist behind these Super Mario Bros. pictures? Is he or she also the artist of the Harmoknight picture or is it an homage? Thanks for your help.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By TobbRobb

The Harmoknight thing is probably just a homage or a coincidence.

I'm curious about the original artist though. Those Mario pictures are pretty damn good.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By MariachiMacabre

It's probably just an homage. And I want to point out how awesome it is that Bowser looks completely different in each of those pictures.

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By stalefishies

@mariachimacabre said:

It's probably just an homage. And I want to point out how awesome it is that Bowser looks completely different in each of those pictures.

That second one is Wart, not Bowser.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mariachimacabre said:

That second one is Wart, not Bowser.

I totally forgot about Wart.

jed1ndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't know about the other 2 games; however, when the original manga artist came late to the cover of Super Mario Bros., Shigeru Miyamoto drew the original box art for the game, which is your first example. It was probably then cleaned up by the professional artist when he did arrive, and then was imitated in all games afterwards.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By TruthTellah

@jewunit: It may be a year later, but it's still certainly worth answering.

To my best understanding, Shigeru Miyamoto designed the overall look and characters, but it was then cleaned up by other Nintendo in-house artists, including Yoichi Kotabe. Based on Shigeru Miyamoto's work, Yoichi Kotabe then did most of the illustrations for subsequent Super Mario games. He took the lead beyond the initial design phase, leading to a refinement of what the series style would become.

I believe HarmoKnight's cover was done by Ken Sugimori, who has also done the art for the Pokemon games. The person who conceptualized and led the game's art design was James Turner of Game Freak.

The artist you so enjoy is Yoichi Kotabe, whose style has been on Super Mario from the beginning. You have Miyamoto to thank for leading the design but Kotabe to thank for realizing Nintendo's vision and eventually making it his own.

This is classic Yoichi Kotabe.
    This is classic Yoichi Kotabe.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

you know, now a days a lot of these Japanese artist might be on social media. So it's not impossible to find this guy, most of the gamefreaks guys have come out compared to 15 years ago when we knew no one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.