Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 23, 2010

The first Mario sequel in over 15 years to appear on the same console as its predecessor, Mario is back in the galactic platforming game, joined by Yoshi as he explores additional planets with new mechanics, power-ups, and boss battles.

Does anyone else feel weird seeing this game in action?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Willy105

A new Mario game! But is it 3 years soon?
    A new Mario game! But is it 3 years soon?
    For the last 15 years, we have been used to having one Mario every 5 years, once every console generation.

Now that Super Mario Galaxy 2 footage is being spread across the internet, it feels weird seeing this game in action without expecting a huge graphical jump and a completely fundamental change in game mechanics.

In other words, having a sequel when you don't expect it to.

Maybe for you Call of Duty players who are used to having a new game every year this won't seem like a big deal (heck, you'd think this would be awesome), but with Super Mario Galaxy 2, and the upcoming Monsters Inc. 2, don't you feel weird seeing more of something you thought will never see again?

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Kyreo

Yeah... it does feel weird.  But sometimes more of a good thing can be... a good thing.  Pokemon and Zelda for example...

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ZenaxPure

I have to agree it is weird seeing another Mario Galaxy game especially considering it feels like the original just came out yesterday. I think it's a good thing though and something they should start doing from now on. SMG was in what, 2007? 3 years is about right for the average sequel imo. 

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HandsomeDead

I think it would have been weird had Super Mario Galaxy not been the game it was, not if Nintendo weren't the company they are, but it seemed like the most derivative and bland Mario game to date. Don't get me wrong, I liked it much as I'm expecting to like SMG2, but considering I loved everything before it, it was a let down.

Camurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Camurai

Wait...
    @Willy105 said:

...and the upcoming Monsters Inc. 2

-google-
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Willy105
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " I think it would have been weird had Super Mario Galaxy not been the game it was, not if Nintendo weren't the company they are, but it seemed like the most derivative and bland Mario game to date. Don't get me wrong, I liked it much as I'm expecting to like SMG2, but considering I loved everything before it, it was a let down. "
    Derivative? That's one of the reasons it's on of the highest rated videogames in history. Bland? How?
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

It is weird seeing Nintendo make games. 

Oh snap!

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Willy105 said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    " I think it would have been weird had Super Mario Galaxy not been the game it was, not if Nintendo weren't the company they are, but it seemed like the most derivative and bland Mario game to date. Don't get me wrong, I liked it much as I'm expecting to like SMG2, but considering I loved everything before it, it was a let down. "
    Derivative? That's one of the reasons it's on of the highest rated videogames in history. Bland? How? "
    It felt to me like hack work, similar to the Episodes From Liberty City in comparison to GTAIV. Making the levels more linear and fragmented than they were in Sunshine and even Mario 64 just seemed like it removed a lot of the charm from those games and instead made it an A to B obstacle course. On a more personal level, I'm not sure keeping everything in space felt right to me. Sure, everything in Sunshine was holiday island themed but that in itself felt like a nice step away from where most platformers where at the time. The space setting almost felt like an excuse to go back and do the ice levels all over again, only this time they were broken up into segments and had a starry background. Similarly, you had those junkyard levels that just made me want a new Starfox. Generally, I just felt like that whole thing was either a wasted venture or a bad gimmick.

It's also the game that made me wonder about the concept of motion controls. Here's Nintendo's flagship character in their marquee game and the only things you can really do are flick your wrist to do a spin attack, something a button press would have done equally as well, or point to those star bits which just simplified the gameplay to a ridiculous level. There were those other sections where you had to, say, spin it while on a massive flower but it was hardly something that would have suffered if you just used the stick.
    Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sil3n7
    @EpicSteve said:

" It is weird seeing Nintendo make games.   Oh snap! "

Oh no you didn't!!
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho

Nintendo doesn't make enough games, bitching. Nintendo makes a sequel faster than normal, bitching. Oh internet. 
    And I would love to know what the kind of person who thinks Galaxy is derivative spends their time playing. Let's see. Just Cause 2, Mass Effect 2, Modern Warfare 2, Madden 09, Dirt 2, GTA4, Halo 3, Halo ODST- god you know, I'll just stop there.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By FengShuiGod

Milk it for what's it worth.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @ryanwho: Ouch. Hurt me more.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13  Edited By Geno

Not really. Mario's in plenty of non-Mario games so he's always pretty ubiquitous I think.       

@ryanwho
    said:

"Nintendo doesn't make enough games, bitching. Nintendo makes a sequel faster than normal, bitching. Oh internet. And I would love to know what the kind of person who thinks Galaxy is derivative spends their time playing. Let's see. Just Cause 2, Mass Effect 2, Modern Warfare 2, Madden 09, Dirt 2, GTA4, Halo 3, Halo ODST- god you know, I'll just stop there. "

You think calling the games you listed derivative (other than perhaps Madden but only due to the nature of its content) is any more reasonable than calling Galaxy 2 derivative? "MW2 is derivative because all you do is shoot people and bomb stuff" is as retarded as saying "Galaxy 2 is derivative because all you will do is jump on goombas and collect stuff".

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Willy105
    @FengShuiGod said:
    " Milk it for what's it worth. "

Nintendo has other things to milk. If they were milking Mario, this summer we would be getting Super Mario Galaxy 5 instead of Super Mario Galaxy 2.

@Geno said:
    "

Not really. Mario's in plenty of non-Mario games so he's always pretty ubiquitous I think.       

@ryanwho
    said:

"Nintendo doesn't make enough games, bitching. Nintendo makes a sequel faster than normal, bitching. Oh internet. And I would love to know what the kind of person who thinks Galaxy is derivative spends their time playing. Let's see. Just Cause 2, Mass Effect 2, Modern Warfare 2, Madden 09, Dirt 2, GTA4, Halo 3, Halo ODST- god you know, I'll just stop there. "

You think calling the games you listed derivative (other than perhaps Madden but only due to the nature of its content) is any more reasonable than calling Galaxy 2 derivative? "MW2 is derivative because all you do is shoot people and bomb stuff" is as retarded as saying "Galaxy 2 is derivative because all you will do is jump on goombas and collect stuff".

"

It's a valid point, but the thing is, Call of Duty games come out faster than Mario games do. We don't anticipate a yearly Mario game, because they just don't happen.
    TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#15  Edited By TheMasterDS

3D Mario Games are the only 3D Platformers nowadays since Banjo became a vehicular thing. It's good to see an iteration of this because yo, Galaxy was pretty good, and they seem to be taking it in all the right directions. 

Bit troubling that they set off upon this thinking they'd release it as a Mario Galaxy 1.5. I guess that's probably a strong indicator that Japan hasn't caught on to DLC, the suggestion that a special edition isn't a terrible idea in this day and age.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By demontium

I dont feel weird because i know it will be really good. 

I just wished they would have used their mountain of other great franchises.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ajamafalous
    @camozombie said:
    " Wait...
    @Willy105 said:
    -google- FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF "
    The most interesting part of this thread. It's hard to believe Monsters Inc. came out eight and a half years ago.
    immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By immike

I feel more weird about my Wii (No pun intended...seriously). I am on the fence about selling it, because I spend little to no time with it on a weekly basis. It's a bummer, because I might miss out on games like this, but buying the Wii and having a little less than a handful of great games isn't the best feeling.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Godwind
    @Willy105 said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    Derivative? That's one of the reasons it's on of the highest rated videogames in history. Bland? How? "

Super Mario Galaxy felt like the weakest 3d mario platformer game.  I wish they went and made more New Super Mario Bros. Games.  Those were nice.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By metal_mills

I don't really mind a sequel because this is really SMG 1.5. I actually consider this a large expansion almost. They have even said it started off as stuff removed from SMG but they felt it was to good to just throw away. They were going to make a smaller game but it ended up as a full title. The thing is platformers like Mario are almost extinct and having more is welcomed. It isn't like a FPS like CoD which is pumped out every year along side 25 other titles similar to it. SMG was good enough and original enough to warrant a second game t

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ghostiet

A Cloud Suit makes this sequel totaly relevant.

/thread

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho

For real, the idea of a Nimbus cameo, even though SMRPG is kinda in retrospect only an okay game, totally gives me a semi. How can you have a cloud suit without bringing back the cloud people? Well you can't. Its a package deal.

Hilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hilbert
    @Godwind said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
     Super Mario Galaxy felt like the weakest 3d mario platformer game.  I wish they went and made more New Super Mario Bros. Games.  Those were nice. "

To be honest I rather play another super mario sunshine than this galaxy crap.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It doesn't feel weird to me but I didn't play Super Mario 64 when it originally came out, I picked the series up at Super Mario Sunshine.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Willy105
    @Godwind said:

" @Willy105 said:

" @HandsomeDead said:
     Super Mario Galaxy felt like the weakest 3d mario platformer game.  I wish they went and made more New Super Mario Bros. Games.  Those were nice. "
    Well, it shows that the difference between 2D Mario fans and 3D Mario fans are getting bigger. At least you will be getting a ton more 2D sections in SMG2.

@Metal_Mills said:

" I don't really mind a sequel because this is really SMG 1.5. I actually consider this a large expansion almost. They have even said it started off as stuff removed from SMG but they felt it was to good to just throw away. They were going to make a smaller game but it ended up as a full title. The thing is platformers like Mario are almost extinct and having more is welcomed. It isn't like a FPS like CoD which is pumped out every year along side 25 other titles similar to it. SMG was good enough and original enough to warrant a second game t "

If it ended up as a full title, why do you still consider it as SMG 1.5? It's as big a sequel as any other sequel, maybe bigger due to the long amount of development time it had.

@Hilbert said:
    " @Godwind said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    To be honest I rather play another super mario sunshine than this galaxy crap. "

SMG2 will have Yoshi return, as well as more water levels. But great to see people that love Super Mario Sunshine (even if it means they have controversial opinions on something else as a return).
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho

Sunshine had much more intuitive controls. Not sure what they tweaked in Galaxy but you feel less in control. Specific jumps are less responsive. And you can't bellybounce.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ThePaleKing

Money money moneeeeyyyyyy. 

But the game does look very fun. 

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Fallen189

I really liked Galaxy, and this looks like more of it. Why would I not be excited?

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Meltac

Monsters Inc. 2? :O Oh yes, fuck yes!

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Cwaff
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @camozombie said:
    " Wait...
    @Willy105 said:
    -google- FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF "
    The most interesting part of this thread. It's hard to believe Monsters Inc. came out eight and a half years ago. "
    I really loved that movie when it came out, I'm kinda scared to see a sequel, same with Toy Story 3.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By I_smell
    I wish they would've never said that it's a game made out of all the ideas that never made it into the original, cos now that's all I can see. It looks like some guys on the internet took the original and made a sick mod full of weird shit, and I'm not really into it at all.

@Hilbert said:
    "To be honest I rather play another super mario sunshine than this galaxy crap. "
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Godwind
    @Willy105 said:
    " @Godwind said:

" @Willy105 said:

" @HandsomeDead said:
    Well, it shows that the difference between 2D Mario fans and 3D Mario fans are getting bigger. At least you will be getting a ton more 2D sections in SMG2.

I don't hate 3d mario games.  I loved Super Mario 64 and might be perhaps my favorite Mario game.  When I heard that Super Mario Sunshine was about fighting grime, I didn't buy it until the year 2009, where stills stands to be a crappy game, with a crappy camera.  Super Mario Galaxy was an okay game.  in fact, I'll take back my statement of Super Mario Galaxy being the weakest 3d Mario.  I didn't hate it, unlike sunshine.  But Galaxy only had its moments at times to times.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By JJOR64

I does fell weird having the game coming out here shortly.  It wont be as mind blowing as the first game, but it will still be a fantastic game overall.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Synthballs

The way I see it, this is the last chance I Have of turning on my Wii until Zelda Wii.

Unless I pick up Metroid : Other M of course...

Also, Monsters Inc 2? This excites me more then Mario ever could...

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Willy105
    @Synthballs said:
    " The way I see it, this is the last chance I Have of turning on my Wii until Zelda Wii.  Unless I pick up Metroid : Other M of course...  Also, Monsters Inc 2? This excites me more then Mario ever could... "
    Maybe I am not as big a Zelda fan as the rest of the guys here, but I find a bunch of games more exciting than Zelda coming out for the Wii.

And Monsters Inc. is awesome. But more so than Mario!?! That's a scary thought.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.