Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 23, 2010

The first Mario sequel in over 15 years to appear on the same console as its predecessor, Mario is back in the galactic platforming game, joined by Yoshi as he explores additional planets with new mechanics, power-ups, and boss battles.

Woah, how long has Gamespot bin doin quick looks?

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By I_smell
    gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By gearhead

Yeah they're pretty good.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Skytylz

Hey, I can watch them play an SD game in HD!

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Crono11

They also do their own TNT like thing every weeks now. And I'm pretty sure they started doing the week after or the same week Giant Bomb did.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne

Kinda boring, no?

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Ryax

guess what. its 27 mins. not half an hour. so stupid

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Come on, On the Spot is the origin of all of this video content, GS or GB. We love you Rich!

deyanne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By deyanne

they've actually been doing this for a long time, even back when all the guys were still working there. I still remember watching alex and jeff playing the first hour or so of the original super mario galaxy. They just don't do it as frequent as giant bomb does and like you said their stuff is boring as hell usually.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus
    @crono11 said:
    " They also do their own TNT like thing every weeks now. And I'm pretty sure they started doing the week after or the same week Giant Bomb did. "
    They've had tournament TV forever. It's not exactly the same thing, but close. I also remember the 'quick look' of Twilight Princes when they did their "Wii just got a Wii" thing. What giantbomb does isn't completely original, but it's and improvement over what Gamespot did.
    Avatar image for relentlessknight
    RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By RelentlessKnight
    @crono11 said:
    " They also do their own TNT like thing every weeks now. And I'm pretty sure they started doing the week after or the same week Giant Bomb did. "
    no that's Tournament TV which started five years ago. I'm pretty sure that they did quick looks before on, On the Spot
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By raiz265

What's up with that right guys hand-motions? 

Is he some kind of rapper?

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Crono11
    @TooWalrus said:
    " @crono11 said:
    They've had tournament TV forever. It's not exactly the same thing, but close. I also remember the 'quick look' of Twilight Princes when they did their "Wii just got a Wii" thing. What giantbomb does isn't completely original, but it's and improvement over what Gamespot did. "
    Oh I don't really go to Gamespot often but the one time I did that's what I saw. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Willy105

Gamespot has been doing this since Jeff was there.

But they are different, there they called it something else, and was part of a separate show.

Thrillhouse87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Thrillhouse87

Is Mama a gigantic space chicken?

Kintaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Kintaro

Gamespot has been doing them in some form or another, though I think the ideas still came from the GB crew anyway, and I include Rich Gallup as an honorary GB member. As well Greg Kasavin, Carrie Gouskos, etc.

I believe Rich Gallup was the one that pushed into producing live segments and crazy stuff. (Remember the Button Mashing game show?) Oh and, Time Trotters!

Now, as far as recent developments on GameSpot, it does seem that they are fibbing on what some GiantBomb ideas. Namely stuff like their new "Achievement" aggregation system and all this new video content. What they lack I think are iconic editors you identify with. I literally don't know anybody in GS anymore. Maybe Ricardo. Is he still working there? Also Ryan (MacDonald). Is he still there? Tor?

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By I_smell

Oh y'know what- I guess Quick Looks are an extension of what On The Spot was. And yeah I remember when they first got a Wii.
    These guys here though suck at it. They're not talkin about the game or makin jokes, they're just reading what's on screen out loud :/ 
    And yeah everyone does tournaments, that's normal.
    @Ryax said:

" guess what. its 27 mins. not half an hour. so stupid "
    You are fucking joking.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Fallen189

THEY FIRED JEFF GERSTMANN!?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Vinchenzo

GameSpot just can't be original, can they? This is good, though. It means we're on the right website, GiantBomb, that is setting new precedents for what should be expected from a video game website. GameSpot and all those other places can copy all they want, but they don't have the humor, the charm, or the GB crew. Let's not make fun of GS, let's just pity them.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ryax
    @I_smell: i am indeed
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By bacongames

They have been doing Community Game Nights for as long as GB has been around.  That is to say TNT is the derivative in this case.

I still know a majority of the staff by name but that's only because of Today On the Spot and more so The HotSpot.  Really the editorship is top-notch but definitely not organic.  They are a site that services a larger audience with many more eyes on them and it shows.  They have a much more technical obligation to fill in terms of the content they put out there.  I still go there for content I would come here for but they obviously don't have the small office format to do quick looks and such all the time.  Otherwise (sans the wiki) they have feature parity in but that's really because they're both video game websites.

The only problem I have with the Now Playing is they edit the total amount of footage they record which is a shame.  The advantage is more time exclusive content that bigger companies would provide them before someone like GB gets it.  It's all whatever.  It can only be so good when this isn't their usual content.  I feel like too many conflicing schedules prevent this kind of thing from happening all the time where GB's environment is tailored for that.

Yo they're video game websites that are both pretty good (GB and GS) and there's a few more that I probably don't visit. 

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Afroman269

They have been doing them for a while but the difference between theirs and giantbomb's and that GS's sucks and GB's doesn't

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By alternate
    @crono11 said:
    You could argue that 1UP's Game Night is even more similar and started before.  None of them are especially original ideas.  Not like stealing the achievements or the wiki.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Milkman

Man, that's incredibly boring. I like Ryan MacDonald but there was no personality in that video at all.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By mikemcn

Whats the AU part of Gamespot-au?

Oh, you linked to the australian site or something......

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Supermarius

People need to stop acting like Gamespot is the devil. Everyone who works at Gamespot is good. They are good people. The only evil people would potentially be management executive types at cnet or something. Other than them, everyone else is just writers, gamers, and website ppl. Sometimes you have to work for bosses that are bad people. As long as your company isnt committing war crimes or genocide, then that's okay.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By haggis

I guess I don't have quite the cynicism some have toward Gamespot (a website I followed from way back in its Gamecenter guise years ago). Gamespot is a fine gaming site. But it's a bit impersonal, they don't have quite the same we-don't-take-ourselves-too-seriously vibe at GiantBomb has, and the content suffers as a result. Honestly, I prefer a smaller editorial staff that produces less content, but at a higher quality. GiantBomb can't cover everything that a huge site like Gamespot can, but I'm constantly surprised at just how much GiantBomb does cover. I visit Gamespot once a month, maybe, and always find that I've already seen essentially the same content here, only done better.

Are they cribbing some things from GB? Probably. The Quick Looks are one of my favorite features here at GiantBomb (in some ways, they're better than the reviews themselves), and if other sites are doing them too, that's fine. So far what I've seen over there just doesn't quite compare.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thebatmobile

Talk about no chemistry between them. YAWN.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Hourai
    @Milkman said:
    " Man, that's incredibly boring. I like Ryan MacDonald but there was no personality in that video at all. "
    Exactly my opinion. Closed it after a few minutes. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.