Have you ever played Super Mario Land 2?

#1 Posted by lemon360 (1102 posts) -
#2 Posted by lemon360 (1102 posts) -

i played it, and thought it was awesome.

#3 Posted by Fallen189 (5010 posts) -

Superb game. LEGO LAND.

#4 Posted by Demo (263 posts) -

I have it, it's excellent but a bit too short, also, I think the sprites are kinda big, oddly enough.
Pumpkin Zone and Space Zone are my favourites! In fact I'm going to listen to a Pumpkin Zone level music right now!

#5 Posted by Eirikr (1007 posts) -

The final stage is kinda brutal.

#6 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Short game, but it rocked my socks when I was a kid. Until NSMB showed up, it was the best portable Mario game, at least in my eyes. Its one of only three pre-GBA games I still have, and the other two are Pokemon

#7 Posted by Teptom (2047 posts) -

I played this a lot when I was a kid. It was awesome. The only GB games we had at that point was this, Tetris, and The Real Ghostbusters. It was a life saver.

#8 Posted by Nock (226 posts) -

That game kicked so much ass! First time Wario was seen, kick ass level design. HEY NINTENDO......I'll give you sec to look this way......... YES YOU NINTENDO, if you really are going to make a VC for the DSi put this game on it.

#9 Posted by AndrewB (7624 posts) -

I played Land 1 back on the Gameboy, but not Land 2. I've since played it on various emulators, and enjoyed it, although something about the controls and Mario's size just don't add up for me. It seems closest to Super Mario 3/World in design, so it's hard not to compare it to them, and it doesn't reach those levels of awesomeness. Still, an okay game. Something I kinda wish they'd do a remake of in a compilation of other games. Then again, I'd rather Nintendo keep moving forward with the Mario games, not backward.

#10 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

It was my first gameboy game and I must have played it for 2 or 3 years until getting a gameboy color. I still pop it in once and a while :)

#11 Posted by JJOR64 (18996 posts) -

Yes, I have and it was an awesome game for it's time.  It was my first GameBoy game, well, technically second, but I loved the shit out of it.  Plus you get to be ON THE MOON in this game.

#12 Posted by CaptainObvious (2998 posts) -

Yep, awesome game. Certainly didn't scare the dick out of me.

#13 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Definitely a cool game. I've always really enjoyed it. Though my memory of the game apparently isn't all that fresh. I remember the pumpkin level and the space level, and I think there was a level where you were really tiny, but I don't remember too much else. Oh, and Wario was the boss? That's right! You know, I don't think I ever beat him. Just getting through the castle to get to him was pretty darn hard.

#14 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

I really liked it when I first played it, but I found the cartridge about a year ago and tried to play it.  Didn't age well for me.

#15 Posted by BeachThunder (11959 posts) -

Yes, from what I remember 'twas pretty good. Many times better than Super Mario Land 1.

#16 Posted by supermonkey122 (818 posts) -

Nope I haven't but I will get it on 3DS soon

#17 Posted by SpaceRunaway (867 posts) -

I remember spending an afternoon just working through that final stage.  Maybe the first time I felt really triumphant beating a game?

#18 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I remember highly disliking it, mainly because the songs were so... not Mario-esque. Still, it wasn't a bad game, but I didn't particularly appreciated it.

#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

It was a pretty cool game, from what I remember.

#20 Posted by JonathanMoore (1858 posts) -

Super Mario Land 2 was fantastic. Dare I say it, I may have enjoyed it more than the original.

#21 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Yes, I remember having a tough time with the last level before fighting Wario.

#22 Posted by Sawboss (95 posts) -

I remember it for the bunny ears...also it was really really weird even for Mario standards...even for the standards set by the original Mario land. I loved it.

#23 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

Fuck yeah, that bubble level was the shit.

#24 Posted by big_jon (5732 posts) -

Yes

#25 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Never played a Mario game

#26 Posted by Mijati (922 posts) -

This game was awesome. This series went off into the Wario handheld series which is awesome too. Wario is the best Mario character :D

#27 Posted by yakov456 (1908 posts) -

One of my favorite Game Boy games. Rock solid.

#28 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

6 Golden Coins was the reason I bought a Gameboy in the first place. I had played the original Super Mario Land on my friend's Gameboy and was absolutely stunned that he had actually managed to surprise me by buying something that wasn't complete shit for once.

...so naturally, being the one-upmanshipping cunt I was (and still am I suppose), I went out and bought a brand spanking new Gameboy Pocket and bought Super Mario Land 2. Bloody brilliant game and I remember many trips to caravan sites being less boring than they would have been because of it.

#29 Posted by OrangeSponge (53 posts) -

6 Golden Coins was a fanastic game. I'll have to dig it out sometime and play it again, but I do have fond memories of the game. That hippopotamus that would put you in a bubble.

This might be a dumb question, but could you save the game in Golden Coins? Last time I played it I was about 4 years old. I remember that I couldn't finish the game because everytime I turn the GameBoy off I would have to start again. I got pretty good at speedrunning the game, I just couldn't get throught the castle.

#30 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

I played the SHIT out of that game.

The world where you went into a giant Mario mech was my favorite.

#31 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

It was amazing at the time.

#32 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

This and the Wario games are more memorable to me than the regular Mario games.

#33 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Wario is such a boss

#34 Posted by Jothel (926 posts) -

Yep, loved and still love this game

#35 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@Eirikr said:

The final stage is kinda brutal.

It's made far easier with the 3DS versions suspend game feature.

#36 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Pretty short and easy, but really funn. And the graphics were fantastic for it!

#37 Posted by JackSukeru (5913 posts) -

Yes, that game was pretty cool.

#38 Posted by Eirikr (1007 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung: Man, did I really post that over 3 years ago? Now I can't even remember the last time I played SML2, though I still remember the gauntlet that is Wario's castle. :p

#39 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

I only ever played the first one

#40 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (536 posts) -

From what I remember it was a pretty cool game, albeit on the short side.

#41 Posted by cmblasko (1243 posts) -

Yeah, it was a huge improvement over the first and it featured a lot of originality; a lot of enemies and power-ups are still exclusive to that game. And it introduced us to Wario, of course. I really liked that game, and will echo the sentiment that I remember it being pretty difficult as a kid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.