bagronken's Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy) review

Go Go Bunny Ears!

Nor-Mario-lity

This is a solid Mario game with good platforming, much more in line with the series' norm than the first Super Mario Land. Enemies, fireballs, levels and general zone design with secret/extra levels make the game quite similar to Super Mario Bros. 3, and while jumping feels a bit stiff, the game's complexity is impressive for a portable.

Design

The unique mechanic/power up in this one are the bunny ears, making Mario able to hover sideways and downwards pretty much as he likes. This easily leads to skipping large parts of some levels, or at least making some hard platforming bits way too easy. You could of course choose not to use it, but fact remains the levels doesn't seem to be designed for mechanic, making is overly powerful. Difficulty spikes way too far up in the end, making the last level a dull, long, repetitive chore, sadly putting a downer on the entire experience.

Pros & Cons

+ Quality Mario platforming

+ Impressive depth for a portable

- Uneven difficulty brings both boredom and frustration

Other reviews for Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins Review 0

By - Richard J.  It was only a few weeks ago when I was able to play through Super Mario Land 2: Legend of the 6 Golden Coins for the first time. I was finally able to take a break from the constant stream of new release games to review, and take a look at something much older. Originally launched in 1992 for the Gameboy, Super Mario Land 2 became an instant classic. By the time I was old enough to understand what a classic was, my Gameboy playing days had been long left behind. But after ...

probably my favourite game of all time 0

I can not think of any game I have played more and whenever I do it is never boring. Whenever I play Super Mario Land 2, a smile is brought to my face.Car journeys have been shortened by it, rainy days occupied by it, caravan holidays improved by it, batteries have been used in multi packs because of it. This game has ruled my gaming life for 12 years and I have not yet tired of it's simple graphics and simple game play. To me, whenever I slot in the cartridge and see the title screen I am immed...