Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Sunshine

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jul 19, 2002

While vacationing on tropical Isle Delfino, Mario is framed for vandalism committed by his own shadowy doppelganger, forcing the paroled plumber to clean up the entire island by using a specialized water-spraying device known as F.L.U.D.D.

For anybody complaining about silent characters in Nintendo games

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#1  Edited By jeffrud

Skip to the 4:00 mark for the...umm...work. I'm playing through this game right now and while I am beginning to accept some of its failings as artifacts of a decade-old game, this scene had me actually yelling at my television to make it shut up. I imagine Nintendo could do better work today, but you'd also imagine things like portability of online accounts, not resting on gameplay laurels, and shipping finished products would also be something Nintendo was capable of pulling off presently.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

I still like FLUDD. The Bowser Jr. shit is ridiculous, but I will defend Mario Sunshine to the death. DO YOU HEAR ME?!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Best argument ever.

Rainbowkisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Rainbowkisses

A lot of people thinks this means Peach and Bowser got it on but it could also just mean that Bowser lied to get his son to kidnap Peach. The first one is more interesting though.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

The fear of failure is no excuse not to try something. There are plenty of great voice actors in the industry, it's really just as simple as being willing to hire top tier talent. Voice acting wouldn't have added much to something like Mario Galaxy, but Skyward Sword would have really benefited from it.

Worcanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Worcanna

Um...I think Mario Sunshine is maybe one of the best marios. because at least they did something with the games instead of the same thing all the time. *shrugs*

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By icicle7x3

Metroid Other M

the baby...

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

Given the complaints thrown against Japanese game design in general, you'd think people would be more welcome to have a character who shuts the hell up for the entire story.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#9  Edited By jeffrud

@TooWalrus: The game is alright. Actually controlling Mario is straightforward and the puzzle rooms are a fantastic sampler for better Mario games that come out for the Wii. I can even admire the crazy left turn in setting and mechanical additions to the Mario formula, as part of the awkward pubescent Nintendo years of the Gamecube. But dat camera. Holy balls, it just sucks so much. Those puzzle rooms use a fixed perspective for the most part, as did the Galaxy series, and they're more enjoyable to play than the rest of the challenges surrounding them as a result.

And FLUDD is tolerable. I like FLUDD's character in theory, but I'd take reading its lines with Animal Crossing-style machine noises to back it up over the thing actually speaking. Yuckers.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

Who's complaining about lack of voices in Nintendo games? People complain about silent protagonists in stuff like Dishonored.

For the record, Super Mario Sunshine is fucking great.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew

Nobody complains about silent characters in Mario games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.