Best Super Mario Game?

#1 Posted by smileybomber (83 posts) -

I'm going to go out on limb here and say Super Mario Bros. 3, but I would understand if you said Super Mario World. Both are masterpieces, but Mario 3 has slightly better music.
#2 Posted by JohnnyAutoFire (353 posts) -

World

#3 Edited by CakeBomb (217 posts) -

World. 

And I actually prefer SMB2 to SMB and SMB3.

#4 Posted by smileybomber (83 posts) -
@CakeBomb:
which version of SMB2?
#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36047 posts) -

Super Paper Mario, apparently. Don't ask me why; the stats command it as such.

#6 Posted by JohnnyAutoFire (353 posts) -

Check this out:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkmqSoi4NDs     

If you're way into the music of Super Mario games, this dude does a twenty five minute mixture of some of the best Mario melodies of all time.  I thought it was pretty cool.

#7 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (725 posts) -

Out of the old school games SMB3 is my favorite. Super Mario Galaxy is my overall favorite.

#8 Edited by Tebbit (4449 posts) -

Galaxy 1. Nostalgia is all well and good (*cough* SMB3 *cough*) but from a pure gameplay perspective I know which I'd rather play. 

Edit: Not to say that SMB3 is anything other than fantastic!

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (11702 posts) -

RPG

#10 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

SMG2 then The Thousand-Year Door...

#11 Posted by FreakAche (2950 posts) -

I really love Galaxy, Galaxy 2, and World. I'm not sure if I could pick a favorite out of those three.

#12 Posted by BBQBram (2202 posts) -

Well, this is a hard one. I'd say in terms of nostalgia SMW2: Yoshi's Island, in terms of gameplay the Galaxy games and in terms of pure fun and whimsy; Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door! I borrowed it from a friend in high school, finished it and have yet to add it to my collection for real. Who knew JRPGs could have amazing pacing?

#13 Posted by Herocide (440 posts) -

World or 64, though I recently played NSMB Wii and it's pretty fun too.

#14 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

I tie World, 64 and Galaxy

#15 Posted by Yummylee (21276 posts) -

64... it's the only one I've played.

#16 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Super Mario 64 is my favorite game of all time, so it wins by default.

#17 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Long after the thrill of playing the Galaxy games had worn off, I still boot up Super Mario 64 and give it a run. Super Mario 64 cemented my joy of video games, so it's my winner.

#18 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Super Mario Bros 3, definitely. I'm not a big fan of Super Mario World or Super Mario Galaxy, and I don't love Super Mario 64 as much as most people, but at least it's one I can appreciate. On the other hand, I love Super Mario Galaxy 2 and even Super Mario Sunshine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.