Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Meat Boy

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 20, 2010

When his beloved Bandage Girl is kidnapped by the evil Dr. Fetus, the diminutive yet plucky Meat Boy springs into action!

Glitch to get 0.00 seconsd on timer.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJOR64

So there is a glitch that will make the stage timer get stuck at 0.00 seconds.  If you don't want to ruin the game and try to get legit par times, then don't read this.

Copied, pasted, and put into a spoiler tag from the source:

Source
     Oh snap!
     Oh snap!
    EDIT:  Sorry for the typo in the title.
    LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By LegalBagel

I'd be careful using glitches, especially ones as obvious as this.  Two indie devs who love difficulty, put their soul into the game, and plan to support it into the future designed this thing.  Who knows what punishment they could come up with for cheaters.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JJOR64
    @Deathpooky:   Yeah.  I did it for one level to test it and it works.  I'm going to try to get legit par times.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scooper
    @Deathpooky said:
    " I'd be careful using glitches, especially ones as obvious as this.  Two indie devs who love difficulty, put their soul into the game, and plan to support it into the future designed this thing.  Who knows what punishment they could come up with for cheaters. "
    Yeah. This sort of thing seems super easy to punish. Especaily if people are posting their 0 second times on the leaderboard.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5  Edited By natetodamax

That sucks. Hopefully they nail the people that are exploiting this to get to the top of the leaderboards. I would be interested in seeing actual legit times.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Well we won't be seeing any 0 second times in the leaderboards that's for sure lol.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sagesebas
    @Deathpooky: You know what it is there, so it isn't a cheat. It's their fault for not testing that specific case, and hopefully it gets patched out, but now it'd be ridiculous to punish those people. You don't want the leader boards to be messed up, fix that aspect of the game. Don't be a jackass
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mikemcn

Ewwwww cheats.

And now im going to use the /unlock console command on every door in new vegas.

tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By tsolless
    @sagesebas said:
    " @Deathpooky: You know what it is there, so it isn't a cheat. It's their fault for not testing that specific case, and hopefully it gets patched out, but now it'd be ridiculous to punish those people. You don't want the leader boards to be messed up, fix that aspect of the game. Don't be a jackass "
    I disagree, heavily.

It's abusing a glitch, which is considered cheating by every online community except the odd few that have come to revolve entirely around those glitches (Gunz). 

Abusing glitches to get higher positions on the leaderboards is explicitly against the Xbox Live User Agreement, which if you are playing on the 360, you agreed to.

I say let all the cheaters burn.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ajamafalous
    @tsolless said:
    " @sagesebas said:
    " @Deathpooky: You know what it is there, so it isn't a cheat. It's their fault for not testing that specific case, and hopefully it gets patched out, but now it'd be ridiculous to punish those people. You don't want the leader boards to be messed up, fix that aspect of the game. Don't be a jackass "
    I disagree, heavily.  It's abusing a glitch, which is considered cheating by every online community except the odd few that have come to revolve entirely around those glitches (Gunz).   Abusing glitches to get higher positions on the leaderboards is explicitly against the Xbox Live User Agreement, which if you are playing on the 360, you agreed to.  I say let all the cheaters burn. "
    And how do you tell the difference between someone who abused the glitch knowingly and someone who came across the glitch on accident?
    tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tsolless
    @ajamafalous said:
    someone who abused the glitch knowingly and someone who came across the glitch on accident? "
    By not worrying about the people who did it a couple times.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond

They already said they'll be deleting all 0.00 times on twitter, and they're going to patch out the bug too.

At the very least you'll have your leaderboard standings deleted.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hunkulese
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @tsolless said:
    " @sagesebas said:
    I disagree, heavily.  It's abusing a glitch, which is considered cheating by every online community except the odd few that have come to revolve entirely around those glitches (Gunz).   Abusing glitches to get higher positions on the leaderboards is explicitly against the Xbox Live User Agreement, which if you are playing on the 360, you agreed to.  I say let all the cheaters burn. "
    And how do you tell the difference between someone who abused the glitch knowingly and someone who came across the glitch on accident? "
    Are you serious? If you have more than 1 0.00 level you're knowingly abusing the glitch.
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sagesebas
    @tsolless: I don't own a 360 so I didn't know about that, but if it is against th terms of service then your right, sorry about that duder.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Hunkulese said:
    " @ajamafalous said:
    " @tsolless said:
    " @sagesebas said:
    And how do you tell the difference between someone who abused the glitch knowingly and someone who came across the glitch on accident? "
    Are you serious? If you have more than 1 0.00 level you're knowingly abusing the glitch. "
    I've had glitches happen to me multiple times in games. A blanket statement like that is the reason that banning people that have glitched leaderboard times is ridiculous.
    tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By tourgen

I always felt if it's in the game, it's fair.  The online leaderboards make it a little less clear cut.  If they want to patch the glitch and delete 0 times, fine.  However people should absolutely never be banned from the leaderboards for playing the game as-is.  Maybe it's clear to You that this is an exploit but not all cases are black and white.  Is using a geometry or collision bug to get a good time an exploit?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By OmegaPirate

that seems unfair

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Aww man now I feel all dirty reading that.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Given the nature of the game, I hope it gets patched out, leaderboards reset, and a cheeky punishment for the abusers. Something like "ohnoes! There's an accidental new glitch that deleted your save! Since it only seems to effect those with 0.0 times (what a coincidence!) we won't patch this out."

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JJOR64

This bug should be fixed when the patch comes out.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Panpipe
    @Hunkulese said:
    " @ajamafalous said:
    " @tsolless said:  

Are you serious? If you have more than 1 0.00 level you're knowingly abusing the glitch. "
    Oh bullshit! 

This glitch isn't at all outside the realm of normal play. I discovered it for myself by accident after switching characters (WOAH I'M BREAKING THE GAME) and then seeing that my finish time was 0:00. 

I've not repeated it, still, I should be burned at the stake for "knowingly abusing the glitch."
    Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kouerson

I finished a level by accident like this when switching to Jill for a bandage. Hopefully all the 0.00s are wiped. Happened again in a different manner (did not switch characters) and I didn't notice so oh no two 0.00s

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I don't advocate cheating but replicating this bug in an honest manner is very easy to do and the user who completed a hard level and happened to unknowingly glitch it should not be punished. If anything, I'd be upset if it glitched on me since it wouldn't show my actual time. :(
    Ktargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ktargo

I have also done this twice on accident. I guess I never look up at the clock while I play, it is quite hard for me to glance towards my time while concentrating on getting through a level. I generally just go and hope for the best for my par times. I hope it does get patched soon, I feel like an ass having a time I didn't earn sitting on the leaderboards and every individual that looks at those particular levels will see it and immediately judge me a cheater. I wasn't sure what caused it but I have been more careful to make sure the clock is running now.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#25  Edited By jaqen_hghar

Thank you for this. Now I know what not to do. Hope they patch out the glitch very soon as well. 

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By thatfrood

The smart thing to do is simply take the real time in your replay and replace that with the glitched time.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By sjupp

SuperMeatBoy - Team Meat said:

" @ Sjupp its this weird timer pause thing if you switch chars when you die, all the 0s wil be gone monday and the glitch will be gone soon "

They just answered 1 minute ago. It'll be gone very soon.
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mnzy

I'm 120th on one level, when I looked it up on the boards, it had 118 0.0s scores, so 'm second. I hate that glitch. Good, that it will go away.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Karl_Boss

I did it by accident once.

Karolinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Karolinger

3 years, 23 days later, and the bug is still there. A global leaderboard full of 0.00 second records. This defeats an huge part of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.