Meat Boy vs. Mega Man

Posted by Alphazero (1535 posts) -

Not made of meat  

Expendable
I had a bad experience with Mega Man 9 (although I secretly liked the game). It was hard as hell. Totally unrelentingly sadistic. Brutally punishing in terms of lost time and progression for failure. And yet, here I am most of the way through Super Meat Boy -- which is most of that plus a kick in the head -- and I'm loving it. I was trying to figure out the difference, and I think I might have it. 

Part of the difference is expectation. I loved Mega Man 2 when it first came out and played through it a dozen times or more. It's a fun game with great music, excellent artwork, and creative level design that pushed the limitations of the NES. It also wasn't that hard, even on the difficult mode. I recently resurrected an old NES off of eBay to replay my Mega Man 2 cartridge and confirmed that fact. In the years since though, Mega Man has amped up the difficulty. Having missed Mega Mans 3 through 8, I was not ready for that. 

The other difference is the restart time. Super Meat Boy levels are very short, and when you die (and die and die and die) you restart the level in the blink of an eye. If that restart time was even a quarter second longer it would quickly become unplayable. By restarting almost immediately, it keeps you in the game and in the moment, and the thousands of deaths are almost tolerable. Each time you die you learn a little bit more about the level, and the sense of progression is stronger. With Mega Man 9, I would die say, just after the mid-boss, have run out of lives, and have to start the whole thing over. In Meat Boy, starting the whole thing over is far less punishing to the player, which is good, because you do it *constantly*. 

All in all, I'm liking Super Meat Boy more. It wears its sadism on its sleeve, and the shorter levels and near instant restart time make the frequent failure easier to swallow. If this first one is this hard, just imagine what Super Meat Boy 9 is going to be like. I think I need to lie down.
#1 Edited by Alphazero (1535 posts) -

Not made of meat  

Expendable
I had a bad experience with Mega Man 9 (although I secretly liked the game). It was hard as hell. Totally unrelentingly sadistic. Brutally punishing in terms of lost time and progression for failure. And yet, here I am most of the way through Super Meat Boy -- which is most of that plus a kick in the head -- and I'm loving it. I was trying to figure out the difference, and I think I might have it. 

Part of the difference is expectation. I loved Mega Man 2 when it first came out and played through it a dozen times or more. It's a fun game with great music, excellent artwork, and creative level design that pushed the limitations of the NES. It also wasn't that hard, even on the difficult mode. I recently resurrected an old NES off of eBay to replay my Mega Man 2 cartridge and confirmed that fact. In the years since though, Mega Man has amped up the difficulty. Having missed Mega Mans 3 through 8, I was not ready for that. 

The other difference is the restart time. Super Meat Boy levels are very short, and when you die (and die and die and die) you restart the level in the blink of an eye. If that restart time was even a quarter second longer it would quickly become unplayable. By restarting almost immediately, it keeps you in the game and in the moment, and the thousands of deaths are almost tolerable. Each time you die you learn a little bit more about the level, and the sense of progression is stronger. With Mega Man 9, I would die say, just after the mid-boss, have run out of lives, and have to start the whole thing over. In Meat Boy, starting the whole thing over is far less punishing to the player, which is good, because you do it *constantly*. 

All in all, I'm liking Super Meat Boy more. It wears its sadism on its sleeve, and the shorter levels and near instant restart time make the frequent failure easier to swallow. If this first one is this hard, just imagine what Super Meat Boy 9 is going to be like. I think I need to lie down.
#2 Posted by BBQBram (2202 posts) -

You nailed it. I've been loving Meat Boy so much that the notion of finishing Mega Man 10 has fallen completely by the wayside.

#3 Posted by amoremono1 (128 posts) -

Well put.....you nailed it, really

I think it doesnt hurt that 1) the hard levels are embedded within the game itself, and optional for progression (dark world) and 2) the warp zones switch up the action even if they can be hard to get and are short

#4 Posted by Darkstalker (715 posts) -

i dunno. meatboy is great but theres something about megaman games that keeps me comming. until those wily levels. now those are sadistic. cause if you die. back to the first one you go

#5 Edited by afrofools (1313 posts) -
@Alphazero: You got it spot on. Though Team Meat have stated that they are not interested in doing another Super Meat Boy, so at-least the game is really-really long (although if you were crazy you could probably beat it in twelve minutes). I wouldn't be surprised if their next game is hardcore, and has MB as a playable character. 

EDIT: Has anyone played Aether, you should check it out, it aint' hard, but it's good. Nintendo wanted Team Meat to make a full game of it for the Wii. Edmund made it. 
Time KUFC is another game by Edmund, it is hard and weird.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.