Purchased Super Meat Boy, played two levels, uninstalled

• 90 results
#51 Posted by Chop (1994 posts) -

I bought it whenever it first came out on steam... made it to the salt factory boss before I quit. The game sure as hell didn't hook me, it just gave me a headache and sore throat. 

#52 Posted by Tebbit (4449 posts) -
@smitty86 said:
"  @Mikewrestler5 said:

" I wish it would come to PSN. "

I thought the same thing, but I bought on the steam sale anyway. Then someone in another forum linked to a program for your computer that lets you use your ps3 controller. Needless to say, I have spent the last hour and a half trying to stop playing this game. "
I didn't like using my Dualshock. Seeing as, unlike the 360 controller, the buttons are touch sensitive, I'd always accidentally double-jump (or whatever jumping twice happened to be for a given character). Still 10x better than using a keyboard though!
#53 Posted by heatDrive88 (2268 posts) -

I thought it was fairly clear from everyone at Giant Bomb that you shouldn't play this game unless you are a sadomasochist. Which it just so happens, many people are and that this is 100% a fantastic game for sadomasochists. Regardless of the game being good or not, you should know if you're the kind of person to play this game or not from the get-go.

#54 Posted by Redbullet685 (6025 posts) -

You are stupid. SMB is one of the best download only games ever.

#55 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4598 posts) -

okay, I realize I'm going to sound like that "That Guy", but fuck it. 

Super Meat Boy is not that difficult. Indeed most of the perceived difficulty people believe to be an issue of skill is not. It's a puzzle. If the OP attacks SMB as a puzzle game instead of a skill-based platformer, I think that the OP would have a much more pleasurable experience with this game. Just use your head and keep calm.  In order to beat this game you do need patience. 

#56 Posted by punkxblaze (2957 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @ryanwho said:
" Yeah the game doesn't do the jumping for you, there's no autoaim, and you can't hide behind boxes. People who told you that were lying. "
christ, someone says they don't like a game by two levels (while short, it will certainly tell you how it controls) and you feel the need to shit on him? "
Yes. In a game where two levels amounts to at least 20 minutes of game play, such as a COD game, where you are clearly presented with what the game will be like, this would be acceptable. However, SMB, as mentioned, is literally 5 to 9 seconds for the first two levels. Which are tutorial levels, and show nothing of what the game becomes. So in fact, yes, when someone decides they don't like a game essentially without even really playing it, we can and will shit on them.
#57 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

SMB! is hard, but its never particularly unfair. First play through its not especially hard, but nailing all those A+s and bandages is the real task. I've had nothing but fun with it.

#58 Posted by DriveupLife (909 posts) -

LOLOLOL I TRO...jk

Just didn't feel right playing on a keyboard. I played a shit ton of jumper two (featuring ogmo) on a computer back in highschool. Something about super meatboy feels different, probably the sliding and the different control. I just don't have a usb microsoft controller to use. I should pick one up but I already have four wireless controllers. Anyone live in Miami that wants to trade a wired for a wireless?

#59 Posted by Vendetta (438 posts) -

Congratulations on not liking a game. It's four dollars, who cares?

#60 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2485 posts) -

This game is awesome, half the fun it trying to beat the times of people on the leaderboards, I'm still on the 1st world and I've got like 2 hours in.

Did you use a gamepad?

#61 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -

lol wut? the game add lots more later on from rockets and enemy creatures to new characters with different abilities, i literally just beat IWTBTG levels and got the real end this month and ive had the game since launch, for a $10 game i have played this more than any $60 in recent history. i hate to say it but you didnt even try bro.

#62 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

I played through the trial and really didn't like it.  Nothing to do with the difficulty either, as I actually spent the money on Ilomilo, which gets really fiendish.
It's one of those games for me, along with Peggle and Angry Birds, where I just don't understand the popularity. 

But whatever, I don't feel the need to tell other people to stop enjoying them.

#63 Posted by TheDukeofArgyll (102 posts) -

Its got a demo, that is your fault.

#64 Posted by Ghostiet (5225 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @ryanwho said:
" Yeah the game doesn't do the jumping for you, there's no autoaim, and you can't hide behind boxes. People who told you that were lying. "
christ, someone says they don't like a game by two levels (while short, it will certainly tell you how it controls) and you feel the need to shit on him? "
The first two levels don't tell absolutely NOTHING about the game. It's 9 seconds. You can't even properly determine the controls' precision.
#65 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

I've seen two of my friends play it. They enjoy it, but I just can't see myself getting anywhere near it.

#66 Posted by gakon (1945 posts) -

I went into this game expecting it to control like Jumper, which is in concept almost completely identical (hard platformer where you control a short square guy and do a lot of wall jumping; the character Ogmo is even in SMB) to Super Meat Boy.  Couldn't quite get a handle on the controls; the jump physics freak me out, and I can't figure out wall jumping.  I wouldn't call myself bad at games, but in the third stage I wasn't able to do a shimmy upwards by continuously wall jumping up the same wall, and I quit out of frustration.  I'll go back to it to be sure. 

Maybe it's also that I'm using a keyboard.  I assumed that using keys instead of an analog stick would give me more precise controls, but maybe using two figures to move left and right is not as easy as just having your thumb on an analog stick or D-Pad.

#67 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -
@mracoon said:
" You can't even die in the first two levels, why would you quit after playing so little? "
This x1000
#68 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

Man - I wish I was in your case. I got the game at 1AM, played it till 6AM - 100% on world 1 and world 2 yeeeaah bitches :D

#69 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

2 levels..thats like, 10 seconds. 
#70 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

Good for you.

I just bought it on PC after I beat it on 360. I love this game so damn much. Even when playing through the last level I was seriously considering committing an act of violence against my television. Actually I felt like that pretty much through a majority of the game and loved every second of it. It's old school platforming made for a new era.

Guess you're just not man enough to handle it and that's okay.

There's always Kirby's Epic Yarn if dying is too scary for you.

Pain for Pleasure baby. It's how I roll.

#71 Posted by Funzzo (834 posts) -

Super Meat Boy is one of the best games I have ever played. So much replay value in the PC version and even the 360 version.
#72 Posted by ___pocalypse (561 posts) -

I tried the demo when everyone was first super excited about it, and knew then and there that it wasn't my kind of game. It happens! At least it was only four bucks when you bought it.

#73 Posted by Milkman (16531 posts) -

Okay, well, that sucks for you?

#74 Posted by Sammo21 (3211 posts) -

Pro Tip: Don't be a puss.

#75 Posted by thegreatmuta92 (95 posts) -

Why are some of you  being so hateful towards a guy who just said that he didn't like a game, i.e: he has a different opinion than you? I don't care if everyone is doing it,  this is ridiculous.  

He didn't even say that the game was bad, he just said that he didn't like it, or that it was too hard for him. He was essentially ripped off here. I can relate,  I don't like hard games either, nor do I think this should be an issue of " get better, pussy" type stuff. They're just not  fun to me (they may be to you but not to me) , and like the TS probably did,  I pay money for games to be fun. Not to be hard. When it comes through on hard and it interferes with fun, then it becomes a problem and I feel like I've wasted money.  

To be fair, they did put out that it was hard, but still. I don't see the need for all this hate.    

#76 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@thegreatmuta92: Why can't you freely buy something you know you won't like then make a thread proclaiming your dislike? Cmon guys be civil.
#77 Posted by Three0neFive (2288 posts) -
@thegreatmuta92 said:
"  Why are some of you  being so hateful towards a guy who just said that he didn't like a game, i.e: he has a different opinion than you?"
Because the Giant Bomb staff like it therefore it is the most perfect game of all time and everyone who has even a mild dislike for it is just a hater jumping on the hate bandwagon because they suck.
#78 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Three0neFive: So the only reason people like it is cus GB likes it, and they're ALL being unfair by characterizing people who don't like it. You should reread what you just posted a few times and see if you catch the serpent eating its tail, goober.
#79 Posted by Three0neFive (2288 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @Three0neFive: So the only reason people like it is cus GB likes it, and they're ALL being unfair by characterizing people who don't like it. You should reread what you just posted a few times and see if you catch the serpent eating its tail, goober. "
i never claimed to be infallible

or even intelligent. its a fucking wonder you people take me seriously, because i sure don't
#80 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

i get the humor in your post, 
and i know i would be the same way so not even touching the game.

#81 Posted by thegreatmuta92 (95 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @thegreatmuta92: Why can't you freely buy something you know you won't like then make a thread proclaiming your dislike? Cmon guys be civil. "
Well, if he had bought it expecting to hate it, like some sort of buffoon,  then  you'd have a point. But he's probably smarter with his money than you'd assume: he  gave a product a chance,  he gave it the benefit of the doubt,  and now he doesn't like it.  He should have the right to voice his opinion whether you like it or not. You can say that you disagree with his opinion, but to make all of these assumptions about him and his character because he doesn't like, or, can't beat a game that you can is just wrong.  Also, you should be civil in a general sense. Absolutely no need for any negativity in this thread at all.  
#82 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I appreciate your flower power and all, but when you make a whiny thread about a 4 dollar game you played for about 10 seconds, you're kind of begging for an ass paddling. He's probably wearing a ballgag as we speak. If he didn't see this reaction coming, he is a buffoon, like you said.

#83 Posted by Trebz (487 posts) -

Reinstall it and give it another try. If you didn't even give it a fair shake, which you obviously must not have if you only played about 30 seconds of it, there's no way for you to tell if you like it or not. It sounds more like you wanted to hate it, so you hated it.

#84 Posted by carlthenimrod (1588 posts) -

I know how you feel. I got to the title screen of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and determined the game was not for me. I was like "These controls are terrible".

#85 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

What is the point of this thread?

#86 Posted by Dudacles (1442 posts) -

I think it's really fun, and honestly not all that frustrating... although I have been mildly annoyed by the bandage in 1-18, I just can't get that fucker.

That, and that patch really needs to come out. I have decided to stop playing this game until it gets released on XBOX LIVE, because I hate the fact that I have sometimes worked quite hard to get a bandage, only to find out that I have further messed up my percentages and that the game still thinks I don't have the damn bandage. For a game that is so tight in every other way in terms of design and focus, it sucks that they allowed this to creep into the game. Come out, please, patch!

#87 Posted by slyspider (1155 posts) -

it is a good game to talk to, such as "ASS FUCKING ASSRAPE!!!!" or "CHODE SUCKING WHORE FACE DICK HOLE!" maybe "FUCK BANDAGE GIRL! I DONT WANT THAT HOE! KEEP HER"  

of course i cant stop playing though.....

#88 Posted by Althox (292 posts) -

Loving every minute of this game. Loved Gish and N+, so this is  totally worth my money at least. :P

#89 Posted by cgoodno (166 posts) -

Racing games get high scores all the time, but it doesn't mean that when a 9/10 or better racing game comes along that I'll suddenly like racing games.  Kind of the same thing with games like Super Meat Boy for me.  I hate games that are memory trials, forcing you to replay levels to do things in an exact order with exact timing.  So, it may be a 10/10 game for that type of gameplay, but doesn't mean I'll like it.

#90 Posted by Vangelus (16 posts) -

I felt the light and dark world versions of chapter 1 were worth my money alone, but my affirmation of distinction and constitution are also centric to my own limited tastes.   SMB is definitely not for everybody.

#91 Posted by afrofools (1313 posts) -

I beat it today (the 'normal' bit), and even though I suck, I still want to brag. 

Now I have a cool MeatBoy avatar pet, to prove of my feats.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.