Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Meat Boy

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 20, 2010

When his beloved Bandage Girl is kidnapped by the evil Dr. Fetus, the diminutive yet plucky Meat Boy springs into action!

Quick Question: Salt Factory Intro

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Sarumarine

Super Meat Boy is pretty good about a wink-and-a-nod to older games. I caught most of them except for the Salt Factory Intro Cutscene. Does anyone know what game they're referencing?

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ItBeStefYo

Not sure but could you list the wink's and nod's for the other intros?

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By LegalBagel

Adventures of Lolo.  Puzzle game for the NES.  Pretty fun, but fairly obscure.  Definitely not talked about as much as the rest of the references, though it had quite a few sequels.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By Sarumarine

Sure. Although, I'm sure this falls into the "explaining the joke" territory.

• The Forest gets the Street Fighter II Arcade Intro treatment. There's a slo-mo face-off before someone gets punched. In the case of Super Meat Boy, Dr. Fetus clocks Bandage Girl.
    • For The Hospital, it references the beginning of Castlevania on the NES. Simon Belmont walks up to the castle gates. In Super Meat Boy, Meat Boy walks up to the hospital gates.
    • I'm not sure about the Salt Factory yet.
    • Hell's intro references a cutscene from the NES version of Ninja Gaiden where two ninjas face off with a twist that Dr. Fetus wins and kicks Meat Boy underground.
    • The Rapture goes Mega Man II with a slow scroll up a building to reveal the hero ready to fight. Again, the twist is that Dr. Fetus shows up and kicks Meat Boy off the skyscraper.

@Deathspooky:
    Oh nice. I forgot about Adventures of Lolo. I keep forgetting they had their own game and weren't just Kirby bosses.
    LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By LegalBagel
    @Sarumarine: Yeah, I was surprised my brain was able to pull it out as well considering how long it's been for those games.  I think it was the final part of the intro with him walking into the castle with the quasi top-down view that finally triggered it.  Man, those games were hard as hell. 

Ha, I completely forgot they appeared in Kirby (Super Star?) though.  I thought they were confined to their block pushing devilish puzzling nightmare world. 

ETA:  What I'd really like is a list of what each of the meat boy Warp Zone intro screens is referencing.  I'm fairly sure each of them refers to some actual game title screen.  Pretty sure there's a Metroid one, and the intro music sounds Contra-like, but nothing besides that.
    ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ItBeStefYo

Thanks!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Aetheldod
    @Deathpooky said:
    " Adventures of Lolo.  Puzzle game for the NES.  Pretty fun, but fairly obscure.  Definitely not talked about as much as the rest of the references, though it had quite a few sequels.

"
    Yeah..... Lolo , that darn hard puzzle game!!!!
    FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By FrankWeidner

I have nothing but the fondest memories of Lolo. This and Super Mario Bros were the only games my dad ever got into, and when I was 6, I'd watch him solve Lolo levels for hours on end.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.