Steam says Super Meat Boy is casual

#1 Posted by Alphazero (1548 posts) -

Yeah, not so much. I don't think my special lady is going to transition well from Peggle to this.  

Maybe they're referring to the fact that Meat Boy is basically naked. That's pretty casual.

#2 Posted by zonerover (580 posts) -

This has to be the biggest understatement of the year. It's definitely simple to pick up, but casual?

#3 Posted by SomeJerk (3393 posts) -

With everything PC gamers have to deal with, SMB is Casual.

#5 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

Run, jump, that's all SMB is. Yeah, those are some extremely hard jumps and sprints, sure, but still... It is pretty casual if you understand "casual" not as "easy for people with gaming experience", but "easy to play".

#6 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

woopity doo

#7 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -
@Alphazero said:
" Maybe they're referring to the fact that Meat Boy is basically naked. That's pretty casual. "  
Makes sense to me.
#8 Posted by Alphazero (1548 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:
" Run, jump, that's all SMB is. Yeah, those are some extremely hard jumps and sprints, sure, but still... It is pretty casual if you understand "casual" not as "easy for people with gaming experience", but "easy to play". "
Yeah, it's basically like Othello with buzz saws. 

It might be my personal game of the year. Brilliant in its sadism.
#9 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

It might be causal in the sense that you could pick it up and play for 15 minutes or something then stop.

#10 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:
" Run, jump, that's all SMB is. Yeah, those are some extremely hard jumps and sprints, sure, but still... It is pretty casual if you understand "casual" not as "easy for people with gaming experience", but "easy to play". "
Any game is "easy to play," but the difference is "easy to play and do well in," like Peggle.
#11 Edited by benjaebe (2784 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:

" @JoeyRavn said:

Any game is "easy to play," but the difference is "easy to play and do well in," like Peggle. "
Don't know what you're talking about. Peggle is tough as shit. Don't even get me started on Bejeweled or Zuma.
#12 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:
" @JoeyRavn said:
Any game is "easy to play," but the difference is "easy to play and do well in," like Peggle. "
I'm pretty sure that Civ V is not as easy to play as Super Meat Boy. You have to run and jump, and that's it. Period. It is extremely hard, but all you do is running and jumping, it can't get easier than that. In that sense, SMB is a casual game. A 3 year old can understand how to play Super Meat Boy. Whether she plays well or not, that has nothing to do with the "casualness" of the game, but with the skill of the player. 

Also, Peggle is fucking hard sometimes.
#13 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

How do genres work on Steam? Doesn't the publisher select the genre? I wouldn't expect Valve to be familiar with every game on the service.

#14 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:
" @GlenTennis said:
" @JoeyRavn said:
I'm pretty sure that Civ V is not as easy to play as Super Meat Boy. You have to run and jump, and that's it. Period. It is extremely hard, but all you do is running and jumping, it can't get easier than that. In that sense, SMB is a casual game. A 3 year old can understand how to play Super Meat Boy. Whether she plays well or not, that has nothing to do with the "casualness" of the game, but with the skill of the player.  Also, Peggle is fucking hard sometimes. "
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Anyone can play Super Meat Boy, true. Anyone can play Call of Duty, does that mean that's casual too? You need incredible hand-eye coordination and reflexes to play Super Meat Boy, sure a 3 year old can play it but they won't get past the first world. Same as if they played Call of Duty, they could play it but they wouldn't be any good at it.
#15 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Its cause you Casualy break your controller. 

#16 Posted by animateria (3265 posts) -

That restaurant waitress game gets super fucking hectic. 

Can't call it casual if 'hard games' aren't casual. 

And yet it's there...

#17 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

It depends on what the definition of 'casual' is to you. There is no competing in this game (except for leaderboards) so the real reason to consider this game 'hardcore' would be because you die a lot, which casuals obviously don't like. But do hardcore gamers like it either? I just don't see the appeal of dying for hours on a stage, and I don't really think there's anyone who enjoys it. "But you can be skilled enough to complete the stages without dying!" you say. Yeah, if you've played them before. There is no general skill in Super Meat Boy, your knowledge of one map won't transition to another.

I think the notion that Super Meat Boy is 'casual' is probably incorrect to most people, but when you look beyond "zomg u die all the time", is it really hardcore? To me, a hardcore game is a game where there is a multitude of skills you have to learn to be successful, while in Meat Boy, once you learn the feeling of the controls, you just grind away and die a thousand times until the stars align and you make an error in your muscle memory pattern that gives a positive outcome ( a la evolution ). Some people probably have the definition that hardcore=grindfest. Maybe they're correct and I'm incorrect, but in my opinion, Super Meat Boy isn't hardcore. 

I guess there exists a label that is in between casual and hardcore that is more correct for Super Meat Boy, but I can't think of it at the moment. I guess it's a silly move of Steam to call it casual, they should probably just call it indie. 

And yes, I am going against popular opinion and I dislike Super Meat Boy and I have no idea why it's getting so much praise when the flash prototype version has tighter controls and just feels better to play. The only thing SMB has that the flash version doesn't have is more characters and maps.  

#18 Posted by stinky (1554 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:
#19 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Anyone can play Super Meat Boy, true. Anyone can play Call of Duty, does that mean that's casual too? You need incredible hand-eye coordination and reflexes to play Super Meat Boy, sure a 3 year old can play it but they won't get past the first world. Same as if they played Call of Duty, they could play it but they wouldn't be any good at it. "
I think a lot of people would argue that Call of Duty is casual as well.
#20 Posted by Kjellm87 (1722 posts) -

hm well, it was a little on the easy side

#21 Posted by Alphazero (1548 posts) -
@Jack268: I disagree that nobody enjoys dying over and over on a stage. They don't enjoy the dying, but the one time you succeed is made all the sweeter by how difficult it was. It's not totally random, either. Each death teaches you a little something about the level. With the restart times being as quick as they were, I found the whole thing a delight. I would get just a little bit better each time until I succeeded, only to be challenged again by the next level, a bit like the previous but that much harder. 

It depends on how you define things like casual and hard core of course, but the brand of madness required to persevere in Super Meat Boy feels completely hard core to me. Peggle can be quite difficult at later levels, but is designed to be gentle and approachable. Super Meat Boy gives you three easy levels, then starts kicking your teeth in.  I can't see anyone who hasn't played lots and lots of games getting really into SMB.  

I can also see people who have played lots and lots of games not getting into it. The repetition required isn't for the fully sane, I suspect.
#22 Edited by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:

" @JoeyRavn said:

" @GlenTennis said:
" @JoeyRavn said:
I'm pretty sure that Civ V is not as easy to play as Super Meat Boy. You have to run and jump, and that's it. Period. It is extremely hard, but all you do is running and jumping, it can't get easier than that. In that sense, SMB is a casual game. A 3 year old can understand how to play Super Meat Boy. Whether she plays well or not, that has nothing to do with the "casualness" of the game, but with the skill of the player.  Also, Peggle is fucking hard sometimes. "
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Anyone can play Super Meat Boy, true. Anyone can play Call of Duty, does that mean that's casual too? You need incredible hand-eye coordination and reflexes to play Super Meat Boy, sure a 3 year old can play it but they won't get past the first world. Same as if they played Call of Duty, they could play it but they wouldn't be any good at it. "
No, let's see. What I'm saying is that SMB's gameplay mechanics are so streamlined it can be played, either well or terribly, by basically anyone. I'm not denying it's a game where you don't need an almost perfect hand-to-eye coordination, at all. Heck, I even said that how well you play it depends solely on the skill of the player. I S-Ranked it on 360, I know how insanely hard it can be. But understanding how a game works is not the same as being able to play it well. Jack268 nailed it, if you ask me.
#23 Posted by DaSoul (228 posts) -
@RYNO9881 said:
" It might be causal in the sense that you could pick it up and play for 15 minutes or something then stop. "
To crawl into the corner and cry yourself to sleep of course.
#24 Posted by Evilsbane (4744 posts) -

Casual? LoL guess they didn't play The Kid warp zone.

#25 Posted by takua108 (1483 posts) -

I'm going to take this as a joke, and a pretty good one at that.

#26 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

I suppose it makes a bit of sense to an extent. The levels are all simple with quick respawns, most of the deaths are caused by the user.  

Tetris is casual, but when you get to the highest tiers then it becomes hardcore as fuck.

#27 Edited by Six (613 posts) -

is it just me, or when they say SMB does anyone else think Super Mario Bros.  and then when they keep talking you think, Oh...  super meat boy...?

#28 Posted by Kjellm87 (1722 posts) -
@Six said:
" is it just me, or when they say SMB does anyone else think Super Mario Bros.  and then when they keep talking you think, Oh...  super meat boy...? "
all the time
#29 Posted by eccentrix (1614 posts) -

I'm guessing they did that on purpose.

#30 Edited by DeathbyYeti (767 posts) -

I think Edmund McMillen set it as casual because they let him handle the update news, but who knows

#31 Posted by SammydesinasNL (840 posts) -
@RYNO9881 said:
"It might be causal in the sense that you could pick it up and play for 15 minutes or something then stop and kill yourself. "

Fix'd.
#32 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@Six said:
" is it just me, or when they say SMB does anyone else think Super Mario Bros.  and then when they keep talking you think, Oh...  super meat boy...? "
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was intentional. And the genre also intentional.
#33 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

I casually told Meat Boy to go fuck himself several times. So yeah, I guess.

#34 Posted by IkariNoTekken (987 posts) -

I personally don't consider 'Casual' a genre. For me SMB is a platform game, and Peggle is a Puzzle game.

#35 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

I'd say it's casual because it's easy to pick up, learn how to run left and right and jump. Difficulty really doesn't have anything to do with casual-ness. 

Take Tetris for example, that game is considered casual- yet I can't even beat the first level. I completely suck.

#36 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -
@DaSoul said:
" @RYNO9881 said:
" It might be causal in the sense that you could pick it up and play for 15 minutes or something then stop. "
To crawl into the corner and cry yourself to sleep of course. "
Of course.
#37 Posted by TehFlan (1928 posts) -

Casual is a stupid term.

#38 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5154 posts) -

I don't think I ever cursed so much while plaaaying a game.

#39 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

Casual isn't a genre, basically this. Super Meat Boy might require difficult execution, but mechanically it is simplicity itself, just as Call of Duty is. There are dozens of games involving far more complex mechanics than either of those games. It's not the same thing as arguing that Call of Duty games on Veteran are a pushover, or Super Meat Boy is easy or whatever. Examples have been given of casual games that get very hard as well.

#40 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2690 posts) -

hahah wow, they should get that checked. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.