Super Meat Boy Hits PC This Month, Wii Version Delayed

• 87 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Super Meat Boy won't be hitting its target release date on the Wii. Team Meat has gone on record via its official Twitter account to announce a delay, citing that it would be "impossible" for the indie developer to compress the title to a WiiWare-appropriate 39MB by this November, as was originally planned. No additional release date details have been shared, however, and Team Meat doesn't appear too close to getting it out on the Wii yet. "We haven't even gotten the size to 50MB yet," Team Meat said. 

You've got options if you want to get your Meat on, though. The Steam version of SMB will be hitting the last week of this month, and of course, the game is available over Xbox Live Arcade right now. 

Other
Brad really dug SMB, giving it a five out of five stars in his recent review. I've no comment on SMB, though I am willing to say that calling the game "hard" is an understatement. I would begin fearing for the integrity of my dry wall and my cats' faces if I were to continue attempting to beat the level that I'm stuck on right now, just so that I, too, could tell you that the game is awesome. 
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Super Meat Boy won't be hitting its target release date on the Wii. Team Meat has gone on record via its official Twitter account to announce a delay, citing that it would be "impossible" for the indie developer to compress the title to a WiiWare-appropriate 39MB by this November, as was originally planned. No additional release date details have been shared, however, and Team Meat doesn't appear too close to getting it out on the Wii yet. "We haven't even gotten the size to 50MB yet," Team Meat said. 

You've got options if you want to get your Meat on, though. The Steam version of SMB will be hitting the last week of this month, and of course, the game is available over Xbox Live Arcade right now. 

Other
Brad really dug SMB, giving it a five out of five stars in his recent review. I've no comment on SMB, though I am willing to say that calling the game "hard" is an understatement. I would begin fearing for the integrity of my dry wall and my cats' faces if I were to continue attempting to beat the level that I'm stuck on right now, just so that I, too, could tell you that the game is awesome. 
#2 Edited by JimmyJackJones (81 posts) -

Been loving it on 360.  Bummer that the Wii version is delayed, as it would be cool to let as many masochists (like me) get their hands on it.  Still, they could probably just get the Steam version.  I doubt it will require a powerful machine.

#3 Posted by skadbob (230 posts) -

I think I will get this.

#4 Posted by cooljammer00 (1715 posts) -

Just make all the music 8-bit.  That should work, right?

#5 Posted by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

39MB? In this day and age? The compressed music in the game probably comes to almost that much!

#6 Posted by CookieMonster (2417 posts) -

I can see a lot of content being cut from this game for Wii owners. It would be sad if they missed out on any of it because its an amazing game.

#7 Posted by FritzDude (2263 posts) -

A wii version? Now that's funny.

#8 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

yay PC version! fuck buying points

#9 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

39 MB nintendo really shit the bed on this one now I understand why nothing good can come to WiiWare how the hell are yoiu supposed a good game with that size ? I predict a cut down version of super meat boy for the wii which when you think of it is pretty ironic
#10 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -
@Mrskidders said:
" People still play Wii? "
People still make jokes about Wii? 

Whatever. I can hardly wait for the PC version, but my backlog is so long it'll probably have to wait a couple months before I can play it.
#11 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

You're Other Brad. He's Original Brad. Please do not make this mistake again.

I'm probably going to buy it on the PC, play it for half an hour, and then punch my fist through my monitor.

#12 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Day 1 for the PC version!
#13 Posted by n4642j@gmail.com (23 posts) -

yay steam 

#14 Posted by papercut (3492 posts) -

Is there any news about an update to fix the games glitches?

#15 Posted by Hamst3r (4481 posts) -

Yay! :D

#16 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -
@JoeyRavn: Of course they do, its just so easy.
#17 Posted by chu52 (240 posts) -

Xbox go!

#18 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

Dude! Yes!

#19 Posted by Skrams (272 posts) -

Surprised it wasn't mentioned but they're looking into a retail version it seems. $20 for a boxed copy and some extra content they said. But this was them just asking fans via twitter if they'd want that. No idea if they'll go through with it.

#20 Posted by ChrisTaran (1605 posts) -

Now, if they'd only patch the 360 version so I could play it again and not lose all my progress!

#21 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -
@Skrams said:
" Surprised it wasn't mentioned but they're looking into a retail version it seems. $20 for a boxed copy and some extra content they said. But this was them just asking fans via twitter if they'd want that. No idea if they'll go through with it. "
I'd actually wait and go for that, if true. I hope it is :)
#22 Posted by reddin (418 posts) -

Finally something resembling a release date!
I will pre-order as soon as Steam lets me.

#23 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@FritzDude said:
" A wii version? Now that's funny. "
Actually, Nintendo had initially approached Edmund McMillan about bringing Meat Boy to the Wii. It was being developed as a WiiWare game well before Team Meat revealed the XBLA version. The funny thing is that the the XBLA version of the game came out first.
#24 Posted by ajamafalous (11988 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" You're Other Brad. He's Original Brad. Please do not make this mistake again. "
#25 Posted by Potter9156 (941 posts) -

Playing this game with arrow keys and spacebar? Noooooo thank you.

#26 Posted by Fallen189 (5004 posts) -

Lame

#27 Posted by RJPelonia (863 posts) -

Bummer. As someone who doesn't have a 360 and has trouble simply playing Solitaire on his piece of shit machine, I've been looking forward to the Wii version back when... well, back when it was a Wii exclusive.

#28 Posted by Murdouken (709 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" @LordAndrew said:
" You're Other Brad. He's Original Brad. Please do not make this mistake again. "
"
Don't be dicks.
#29 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

I'll get this for my Wii, I'll get a classic controller along with it, then i will feel complete.

#30 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Murdouken said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" @LordAndrew said:
"
Don't be dicks. "
It's a joke. Mine was, at least.
#31 Posted by bybeach (4816 posts) -

Does a game like this work on keyboard and mouse? I'm honestly asking.

#32 Posted by JackSukeru (5911 posts) -

Bummer, I was planning on getting the Wii version since playing SMB with a keyboard would probably suck. I hope the compression doesn't f anything up or I might get the steam version anyway. 

Also:  @ajamafalous said:

" @LordAndrew said:
" You're Other Brad."
"
#33 Posted by emem (1965 posts) -
@Potter9156 said:
" Playing this game with arrow keys and spacebar? Noooooo thank you. "
Do you really think you can't plug in a controller @ a PC? Scary comment man.
#34 Posted by GetBentTheVideoGame (261 posts) -

Roid rage is an ugly thing. I put a call in to Cat Protection Services.

#35 Posted by djaoni (338 posts) -
@bybeach said:
" Does a game like this work on keyboard and mouse? I'm honestly asking. "
Why wouldn't it work with a keyboard?  
#36 Posted by Conformunist (105 posts) -

Can Wii owners even stomach hard games?  

Also, does that question make me racist?

#37 Posted by frsty13 (85 posts) -
#38 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Er, aren't the Telltale Monkey Island and Strong Bad games on Wiiware? Those are like several hundred MB on the PC, how did they compress those then?

#39 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

Can't wait for PC version since I don't have a 360. I wonder if PC controls will better than the 360.

#40 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

Price point for the PC version?

#41 Posted by Skytylz (4032 posts) -

I got $10 worth of wii points and I'll get this if it's comparable to the 360 version.

#42 Posted by Xealot42 (277 posts) -

Haven't picked this up yet so I guess I'll get the PC version for the level editor!

#43 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

They also said that they might try to find a publisher and do a boxed copy for Wii instead.

#44 Posted by Aeterna (1118 posts) -

Really curious which'll feel better, mouse/keyboard or my gamepad...

#45 Posted by JackSukeru (5911 posts) -
@Geno said:
"

Er, aren't the Telltale Monkey Island and Strong Bad games on Wiiware? Those are like several hundred MB on the PC, how did they compress those then?

"
I owned the first Strong Bad episode on Wii and I remember it taking up an F ton of bits, or slots or whatever they call it. So my guess is they didn't, or at least not by a lot. 

Which, yes, begs the question, why put this specific restriction on this game? My uneducated quess would be, that those other games were given somewhat of a pass because they had so much recorded voice.
#46 Posted by JackSukeru (5911 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
" They also said that they might try to find a publisher and do a boxed copy for Wii instead. "
I would totally buy that. Just thinking of the potential boxart makes me froth at the mouth.
#47 Posted by aurahack (2270 posts) -
#48 Edited by djaoni (338 posts) -
@Aeterna said:

" Really curious which'll feel better, mouse/keyboard or my gamepad... "

It's all about what you're used to. No ups or downs for either in 2D platformers.
#49 Posted by CitizenJP (1019 posts) -

Hell yeah so happy this is coming to PC!
#50 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Good to hear!  This month I'm getting Black Ops, a new paintball gun, and now Super Meat Boy.  I am excited.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.