Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Meat Boy

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 20, 2010

When his beloved Bandage Girl is kidnapped by the evil Dr. Fetus, the diminutive yet plucky Meat Boy springs into action!

Super Meat Boy's Wiiware Release Canceled

• 92 results
    korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#51  Edited By korolev

Well... that's unfortunate for Wii owners. But not every game comes out on every console, that's the nature of the gaming business. And if you're visiting this site, surely you have a PC you can play it on (I mean, come on, it doesn't exactly require "high-end" PC parts) although the game is not fun with a keyboard.  

I don't think it'll have a disc-based release. Not enough mainstream appeal. It's a great game, but not one that will drive people to the stores. Chances are if you really like a game like SMB, you  

1) Probably already have it  for the PC 
    2) Probably own more than one console.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By recroulette
    @TehFlan: No internal hard drive, so everything is based on SD cards.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#53  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It was the right decision. If you are posting on this internet forum, you probably already own a 360 or a computer that runs an OS more advanced than Windows 98. 

Dedlok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Dedlok
    @Prodigal said:
    " Isn't this news almost 2 weeks old? "
    Actually it's like 2 months old seeing as they posted that they weren't going to do the Wiiware version on their Twitter account because of the size limitations and were looking into doing a Retail edition back in early to mid November.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#55  Edited By LordAndrew
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " It was the right decision. If you are posting on this internet forum, you probably already own a 360 or a computer that runs an OS more advanced than Windows 98.  "
    Not everyone can run it well. There are issues with getting the game to run properly for some people, and it's difficult for the developers to fix those issues with their limited resources. So no, not every computer with an "OS more advanced than Windows 98" can run it.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Dedlok said:
    " @Prodigal said:
    Actually it's like 2 months old seeing as they posted that they weren't going to do the Wiiware version on their Twitter account because of the size limitations and were looking into doing a Retail edition back in early to mid November. "
    Are you referring to this? If so, that post is less than two weeks old.
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ch3burashka
    @Prodigal said:
    YARP. It's not news, it's olds. *rimshot* 

Sucks balls for them. Microsoft has been consistently pushing the limits of XBLA, allowing bigger and bigger games. It's a real dick move on Nintendo's part to maintain their cap. However, a retail version of SMB would be pretty dope, especially with that box art.
    TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Bummer for the Wii crowd. They could use some good downloadable games and this one was one of the best last year.

l3illyl3ob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By l3illyl3ob

Maybe not everyone visits every gaming news site, so news is welcome if it's old or not, but it's still completely ridiculous how old this is. This may have been worth reporting... a month ago. Wanting your news to be timely is not an unreasonable desire.  I like it when there's news stories posted relevant to the interests of the site, but I'd like it a whole hell of a lot more of they were posted when the news was actually news. This is just getting silly, now.

@LordAndrew said:

" @Dedlok said:

" @Prodigal said:
    Actually it's like 2 months old seeing as they posted that they weren't going to do the Wiiware version on their Twitter account because of the size limitations and were looking into doing a Retail edition back in early to mid November. "
    Are you referring to this? If so, that post is less than two weeks old. "
      They've announced that the WiiWare release wasn't going to happen before that twitter update, they just posted that again because people wouldn't stop asking them about it.  I remember them talking about  how they were looking for a disc publisher a month or more ago.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Apathylad
    @InfamousBIG: Kessler wrote this. But yeah, I agree that this is too old and not worth posting at this point.
    Whoops, my bad, I wasn't paying attention. Okay, I have a free pass to hate on Nicholson again in the future.
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By wickedsc3

Stuff like this is why Nintendo has not gotten any of my money since the NES.  They just dont offer up the games most ppl want to play.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Taking a few days to write up a nice article is OK, but this is pre-holiday season stuff.

JauntyHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By JauntyHat
    @wickedsc3:  
    You must have some seriously picky tastes if nothing in the SNES, N64, or Gamecube tickled your fancy.
    torian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By torian

I don't see why they couldn't break the game into three equal parts and charge for it episodic style.  

@wickedsc3: you do realize that Nintendo has only reported one quarter in the red ever, right?

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#65  Edited By Siphillis
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#66  Edited By jacksukeru

Well no biggie I played it on the PC instead... with Keyboard controls. It was alright.

Avatar image for mikazukinoyaiba
    Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Mikazukinoyaiba
    @Gap said:

" And nothing of value was lost "

Ain't that the truth, nobody who would care about SMB plays the Wii. They either have a 360 or a PC. 

@Hailinel said:
     I'm sure that there were some Wii-only gamers that were looking forward to it, and it's a shame that they might have to wait for a disc release to get it. "
    Sir, a Wii-only gamer is a myth. They exist in the realm of Unicorns, Elvis, and a bad Mass Effect game. 

If you have a Wii and are satisfied with it, you probably were never interested in SMB or games that require actual work.
    Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#68  Edited By Tireyo
    @Mikazukinoyaiba: I'm a Wii only gamer (Other than a few offbeat PC games like The Sims 3). Wish that I had a 360 and a PS3 though so I could play some games I'm missing out on like Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, Little Big Planet Franchise, Pac-Man Championship DX, Braid, Limbo, and more!!! If Super Meat Boy came out on Wii, I would really consider on buying it. So it's bad news for me hearing that it isn't. = - (
    DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By DG991

Wii fail.... 

Nintendo better release a good next gen console soon... 

Dedlok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Dedlok
    @LordAndrew said:

" @Dedlok said:

" @Prodigal said:
    Are you referring to this? If so, that post is less than two weeks old. "
    Actually I was refering to http://twitter.com/#!/SuperMeatBoy/status/29340744283 combined with http://twitter.com/#!/SuperMeatBoy/status/3263080414842880
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Mikazukinoyaiba: Get the fuck out.
    Dedlok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Dedlok
    @torian said:

" I don't see why they couldn't break the game into three equal parts and charge for it episodic style.    @wickedsc3: you do realize that Nintendo has only reported one quarter in the red ever, right? "

One of the devs has pretty much posted on Twitter stating that he hates the idea of Episodic Content. That he akins it to Layaway and that he has yet played an episodic game that he has liked. 

More specfically: " That's retarded and we won't do it. I'd rather kill myself."
    jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By jgf

Boo! I really looked forward to SMB on the Wii. Does Nintendo not want to make any money? As long as there are no hard technical limits for the 40MB limit - and I cant think of any - this is just plain stupid.  

As the Wii version is obviously already done (but too big) a "release"  for the homebrew channel would be an option. They could charge money on a donation basis. That would be cool...

gogobomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By gogobomb

oh my god, i never knew there was a 40 megabyte limit, that's so stupid! I mean the wii has 512 mb of space on its harddrive (which is still pitiful but the space is there) I love the wii but nintendo made some really stupid design choices when making it, like the harddrive space for example. oh well.

Forum_User

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Forum_User

No matter how successful Nintendo is, they never cease to do things that strike me as just completely senseless.

nikopeters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By nikopeters

FUCK YOU MEATBOY!!!
    jk I love you

Puck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Puck

Games that sell on the Wii:   Anything with Mario in it
    Games that don't sell on the Wii:  Everything else 

The Wii has a big installed base, but it has never translated to game sales and this would be no exception.   The publishers are probably doing the right thing here.

Everyone was confused when the Wii started selling like crazy, because they thought these 'non-gamers' who bought in would buy games at the rate gamers do.    They didn't.

Even the Wii owners who are gamers that buy games don't buy it on the Wii.   The problem is  that all Wii owners who buy games almost universally have better (HD, full powered) options (Xbox, PS3, PC) than the WIi.  

Forum_User

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Forum_User
    @Puck: Nothing like just reading the headline and hitting reply.
    DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#79  Edited By DevWil

i read this elsewhere weeks ago. 

just saying.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#80  Edited By Little_Socrates

It's not news to me, but it does still suck. 

Though there's an incredibly telling quote in here.  

" Unfortunately, even with the critical acclaim that has accompanied Super Meat Boy’s release, publishers aren't necessarily lining up to release the title. McMillen told Joystiq that the publishers Team Meat have approached so far feel that a non-Nintendo retail Wii release is a "bad idea, profit-wise", citing the lack of major third-party successes on the platform."

Super fucking depressing to hear that as part of a news story.
    Forum_User

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Forum_User
    @Little_Socrates: The reason seems obvious to me.  Most of the potential buyers probably buy the games on one of the more powerful consoles or on PC.   There are basically two reasons people buy a Wii.  One is for the motion control gimmick, and the other is for Nintendo first party games.  It stands to reason that if someone is going to buy third party "hardcore" console games, they most likely have a 360 or PS3.  It's almost a bit of a catch-22 at this point:  Why release traditional third party games on the Wii when it's not why people buy the console, and why buy a Wii for traditional third party games when the other two systems have more of them and they are also more capable systems in general? 

In short, a significant chunk of the market for these kinds of games also has a 360 or PS3, and of course pretty much everyone has a PC these days.   There's really little compelling reason to buy games on the Wii if they are also available on another system.
    halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#82  Edited By halberdierv2

Fail. then again, there Might be the Retail version of it, and that boxart looks awesome.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Puck: You didn't read the reason for the cancellation, did you? Your post reads like you either hadn't read the article, or read it and chose it ignore it for the purposes of your fanboy rant.
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Kjellm87
    @LordAndrew said:
    " @Puck: You didn't read the reason for the cancellation, did you? Your post reads like you either hadn't read the article, or read it and chose it ignore it for the purposes of your fanboy rant. "
    Don't bother, it's not worth it.
    Let him do his thing
    Sawboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Sawboss

Thank god it came out on steam.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

That sucks I just wish Sony weren't idiots and accepted it to be released on the PSN.

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#87  Edited By Tackchevy

Okay, this is a great opportunity to bring up a question that has bugged me for a few years: 

What is so hard about burning some discs, sticking them in DVD cases with some instructions and box art, and sending enough to various retail outlets to meet your sales expectations? Obviously there are distribution deals, etc etc, but what's the big deal? The game is already done, print it and sell it for 20 or 30 bucks.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By MikkaQ

And this is why I haven't done much with my wii since the month I bought it. I dust it off every 6 months for the significant Nintendo release of that time, then put it away again. 

No one makes good 3rd party games, and it's Nintendo's reticence to put any effort into their platform that shows. It's like they got real selfish and just made a console that sold their games, and their games only. And it works for them, that's fine, but good luck getting taken seriously by developers or publishers. It shows in this article, pretty depressing really. 

anon463728

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By anon463728

Fortunately, I purchased Super Meat Boy during Steam's Christmas sale. However, I'm still bummed about the cancellation of the WiiWare port. Hopefully, the disc version will see the light of day.
    gking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By gking

anyone know if their going to release the special edition for pc that they mentioned? 

NeverDeadXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By NeverDeadXE

that picture just kinda makes me sick. the guy is fine but he girl is just too pink.

Fullmetalwwant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Fullmetalwwant

Maybe one day in the future, it will happen but until then, we must wait

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Twiggy199

To be honest, I'm not surprised, Nintendo probably knew it would outsell any mario game, i thought this would be a step forward for nintendo but there obviously not interested. The Wii's rubbish anyway, good on you team MEAT!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.