Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Meat Boy

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 20, 2010

When his beloved Bandage Girl is kidnapped by the evil Dr. Fetus, the diminutive yet plucky Meat Boy springs into action!

Wii's Super Meat Boy may become a retail disk title.

Avatar image for insanity_pepper
    insanity_pepper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By insanity_pepper

Super Meat Boy's developers announced recently that the Wii versions November release was delayed on their twitter account. The reason for this was because of restrictions Nintendo has for the size of Wiiware titles. The Super Meat Boy team posted again on their twitter account that they may opt for a retail release of the game at a budget price tag. It is unlikely they could fit the game into the restricted size without sacrificing to much of the game, and a retail release would remove that restriction entirely. 

I feel this is best for Wii owners so they won't get a stripped down version of the game, what do you think?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

While I do think the game could easily carry a budget retail release, I'm not sure the retail Wii market is right for Super Meat Boy. A download service is lower investment than a disc based release.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By alternate

I am not sure either market is going to be great for SMB on Wii - but at least download reduces costs.  I mean how many Wii owners are in to such a hardcore game that don't have access to XBLA or a PC - especially as a 10 year old PC should run it with ease.

DudeMansack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By DudeMansack

I would buy this game again in a heartbeat if it came out as a physical Wii disc release. If that happens, the level editor sounds like a good possibility for the wii!

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lunar_Aura

If it goes disc based, it should be the uncompressed assets that go into the game. Also level editor.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Brunchies

I find it weird that a barely over 100 mb game has to go on a disk. I really think Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with the size restriction as with many other things. 

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Level editor and Wii-Exclusive levels please.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By nintendoeats

Remember Symphony of the Night...

ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShadowKing7

As someone without an online connection for my consoles...DEAR GOD, PLEASE DO THAT!!!!  I want to play this game but can't otherwise;  if this happened, I would pick it up in a heartbeat.
    SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SadPatrol
    @ShadowKing7: @ShadowKing7 said:
    " As someone without an online connection for my consoles...DEAR GOD, PLEASE DO THAT!!!!  I want to play this game but can't otherwise;  if this happened, I would pick it up in a heartbeat. "
    I forgot about people like you. I used to be one of them too. It was very painful, bless your heart.
    beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By beej
    @ShadowKing7:  That does suck, although you can hardly blame the SMB guys, doing a digital release is so much lower impact in terms of production costs and inventory that for an indie title like this it only makes sense to do it this way.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Andorski

They should reverse the graphic-styles where the main levels are "8-bit" and the warp zones and kill screens are computer-drawn animations.  It would reduce the overall file size of the game and give off this motif of "you are playing your average NES game when 'BAM,' you glitched the game and now you are playing a modern platformer."

ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShadowKing7
    @beej:
    Yeah I know, and I'm not blaming them by any means since digital release is the easiest and cheapest way for them to get paid.  Just saying, it'd be awesome to get a disc-based release. 

Man, I really do need to get a new wireless router and get a connection back for my Wii and PS3.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EVO

I already own it Xbox but I'd still buy it. I wish more downloadable games would get a physical release.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

It would be better then compressing it, plus I think it could stand on its own as a full on retail release. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.