Wiiware version of Super Meat Boy canceled

#1 Posted by transience (111 posts) -

http://twitter.com/#!/SuperMeatBoy/status/18065209377685504

I imagine it's the size limit on Wiiware that killed it.

#2 Posted by BjornTheUnicorn (356 posts) -

Even if they can't do retail, I imagine most Wii owners who want to play this game also hava a Mac, PC, or Xbox that is perfectly capable at playing it. 
Also, Couldn't they just put one world up for $15.00 and release every other world as free DLC, or does the size limit have something to say about that as well?

#3 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

:/ 

I'm still mind-boggled at how they got the Monkey Island games on there then. I haven't played the Wii versions but the PC versions are around 600-700MB per episode.

#4 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

I still think they could sell it world by world really cheap. 

#5 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

That's a shame. I would really have liked to play it on my Wii. Guess I'll just go ahead and purchase it for my Mac.

#6 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -

It was Nintendo that wanted them to bring Meat Boy to WiiWare in the first place. Surely they'll work something out, be it a retail release or something else.

#7 Edited by Nes (222 posts) -
@LordAndrew: http://twitter.com/SuperMeatBoy/status/18335199637012480

:(

Guess no more new characters. :I
#8 Posted by ajamafalous (11799 posts) -
@Nes said:
" @LordAndrew: http://twitter.com/SuperMeatBoy/status/18335199637012480  :(  Guess no more new characters. :I "
I think LordAndrew means as far as Nintendo asking them to bring SMB to WiiWare, not as far as Nintendo being the reason for SMB's existence.
#9 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -
@Nes: Hm, I wonder where those claims came from then.
#10 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

I thought this was confirmed a while ago...

#11 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

I don't wanna play this on a keyboard, gosh darn it. Get your act together Nintendo!

#12 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -
@TehFlan: You can use a controller on your computer. 

Still a shame to see, getting the product on another system would only help team meat. 
#13 Posted by tankintheair315 (347 posts) -
@OllyOxenFree:  No they said they were working on it still, but the game might be janked, and could be cancelled. This is final confirmation. 

As to why, joystiq has the scoop here 
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/24/super-meat-boy-what-went-wrong-with-wiiware/
Yup its the size limit. Team meat seems incredibly candid.
#14 Posted by buft (3300 posts) -

Terrible news for those Wii owners who got excited about this when it was annoinced as a wii exclusive only to see it come out on other platforms and then to be told, sorry its not happening. Sucks for team meat too because those guys deserve every cent they earned and with all the content in the game and all the after sales support and free content they really work for your cash.

#15 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -
@Malakhii: But then I'd be buying a controller just to play one game. :/
#16 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2102 posts) -
It sucks, but then on the other hand, like they said; it would make almost no sense to release it on disc either just because it is so small... only Nintendo can really get away with that considering they just released their 3 roms in the "25th Super Mario Anniversary collection". 
#17 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4603 posts) -

Meh, get an xbox.

#18 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:
" Meh, get an xbox. "
There's also a new device called a personal computer that's gotten pretty popular among Giant Bombers.
#19 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Any Wii owner who really wants to play this has many other way to do so.

#20 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -
@jonnyboy said:
" Any Wii owner who really wants to play this has many other way to do so. "
That statement makes every console obsolete. Thank you. It's about damn time.
#21 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -
@TehFlan said:
" @Malakhii: But then I'd be buying a controller just to play one game. :/ "
Or an excuse to dive headfirst into the steam sale, so you could get more : ) 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.