Getting the ball rolling, first impressions

#1 Edited by Rallier (1739 posts) -

I've played about an hour of the new game in the Monkey Ball franchise, this time with the Wii Balance board for the first time. 

An example of the obstacles that are added when playing with the Wii-remote.
At first I was a bit afraid that Step and Roll would just be an updated version of Banana Blitz (which thinking of came out quite some time ago) with balance board support but Step and Roll feels designed for the use of it. Of course you can still play the game with just the wii-remote but when you do that additional obstacles that are not in it when you are playing using the balance board appear on the play-field. Other then the added obstacles the borders of the levels and railing are a lot lower. There is also a co-op mode which seems to be you playing the wii-remote versions of the levels with the balance board control and a second player having a reticle to shoot these obstacles to pieces, I have not played that much of this mode so it might be a bit different. 

The visuals have been upgraded quite a bit since Banana Blitz, the most noticeable thing is how they use a lot of foreground focus. The music is pretty good and really fits the game well, it feels like 90's dance music with a heavy bass to back it up. World 3 got me dancing in front of my TV and it was awesome.

If the staff decides to do a quick-look I sure hope that they'll play the game for a couple of hours before, because the balance board controls are tricky. It took me some time to get it down but once I realised that it is all in the hips and that I should not rush things it  went a lot better. Also as I mentioned before the levels are designed for the balance board and give you the time and margin of error to allow you to ease into it.

The thing i really like when playing with the balance board is the sense of accomplishment that I get (which i do not get when using the wii-remote only) when getting to the end of the levels. 

Step and Roll is not a game to play for long periods since it is tiring to stand up all the time while rocking your hips but one world at the time is very manageable Really liking it so far.
#2 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

I didn't even know this was coming out!

I'll have to try it. There was this Wiiware 2D game with balance board controls, I thought that was rather awkward and prefered the Wiimote.

It's a shame that 99% of people who call themselves "gamers" wouldn't even dare to go anywhere near such games.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18911 posts) -

This seems like it would be fun in small bursts.  To bad I don't have a Balance Board yet.

#4 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" I didn't even know this was coming out!  I'll have to try it. There was this Wiiware 2D game with balance board controls, I thought that was rather awkward and prefered the Wiimote.  It's a shame that 99% of people who call themselves "gamers" wouldn't even dare to go anywhere near such games. "
I remember that one. That game was pretty much impossible with the balance board because of the things it asked you to do, it was fine with the wii-remote though. I believe it was called something like "equilibrium", not that great of a game but it was OK .

I actually doubt that any of the "real" gamers know what this game is even about and think that it is just a mini-game compilation for their wii that is collecting dust. Haaa stereotypes, sometimes they exist for a reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.