Best SNES RPG?

• 52 results
#1 Posted by misfeasor (27 posts) -

#2 Edited by NathHaw (2760 posts) -

It's FFVI. Chrono Trigger is a close second. Secret of Mana is special in a good way. I used to have a Nintendo Power Illusion of Gaia shirt as one of those promotional things. Obligatory addition: SNES RPG's are considered great frequently.

#3 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Earthbound, no question.

#4 Posted by Skald (4366 posts) -

I like Final Fantasy 6, personally. Compared to Crono Trigger, it feels a little clunkier, but I like the world and the characters better. Your mileage may vary.

#5 Edited by NathHaw (2760 posts) -

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Earthbound, no question.

Nah. The no question part. Certainly a great game. It's loved.

I like that people like Earthbound.

#6 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1169 posts) -

Top 5:

5. Lufia 2

4. Super Mario RPG

3. Earthbound

2. Chrono Trigger

1. Final Fantasy VI

#7 Posted by NathHaw (2760 posts) -

@Icicle7x3: Good taste.

#8 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

This is like choosing a favorite child. The SNES is easily my favorite console ever and spent way too many hours playing pretty much all of these games.

A gut choice I'd have to say top three:

1. Secret of Mana - So many good times spent playing with two other friends through that game.
  2. FF VI - What I think is the best Final Fantasy of the series and overall amazing game.
  3. Chrono Trigger - It's a fucking classic, 'nuff said.

Edit: Also, Secret of Evermore is an underrated gem and does not get the respect it deserves.

#9 Posted by tescovee (349 posts) -

Illusion of Gaia and Secret of Mana are still to this day my top games. Gaia is such a fun game!

#10 Posted by NathHaw (2760 posts) -

@joshthebear: I assume you had the multitap for Secret of Mana?

#11 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

@nrh79: For sure. We had the multi-tap and also the amazing strategy guide that to this day, is the best guide I've ever seen.

#12 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

I can't help but answer Earthbound, it is my favorite game ever. That being said I love SMRPG (i'm not sure if EB or that was the first RPG i played) and I played FFVI when it came out on the GBA and Chrono Trigger on the DS.

Sadly I need to play the other games on that list.

#13 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2451 posts) -

Tales of Phantasia  (fan translated ROM)

#14 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

Terranigma.

#15 Posted by HarlechQuinn (444 posts) -

Tough question... At the moment I would say (this is no absolute ranking and it can change again):

1. Earthbound (because I recently replayed it... again)

2. Final Fantasy VI (because it's the best Final Fantasy in my opinion)

3. Chrono Trigger ( Currently feeling a slight fatigue after finishing the DS version and started the iPhone port afterwards...)

Honorable mentions would be Illusion of Gaia & Terranigma.

#16 Posted by misfeasor (27 posts) -

I'm a bit surprised by the lack of love for Breath of Fire and Lufia 2.

#17 Posted by TobbRobb (4554 posts) -

Considering the Snes was before my time, the only Rpgs I've finished on it was FFVI and Chrono Trigger. I tried getting into earthbound but I lost interest in the early parts.

I prefered FF over CT in almost every way, but they are both amazing games.

#18 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

i think FF6 is the best in terms of quality, but... there's just nothing else like earthbound, and for that, it gets my all-important vote. also i had a dream about buying another earthbound cartridge last night

#19 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

The lack of love for Secret of Mana saddens me. Such an amazing game.

#20 Posted by misfeasor (27 posts) -

I wonder what games people are voting for with the "other game not listed" option besides besides Terranigma and Tales of Phantasia. I wouldn't be surprised if they were largely for Terranigma; it easily could have been on the list as well, but then again, there are too many great SNES RPGs to list.

#21 Posted by StarFoxA (5137 posts) -

Naturally I'm going to say Chrono Trigger, but there are so many good RPGs on the SNES. Even the mediocre ones (Robotrek) are better. Omparatively than the mediocre RPGs of other consoles.

#22 Posted by DeF (4777 posts) -

personal favorite: Terranigma (see avatar^^), spiritual successor to Illusion of Gaia.

thanks to nostalgia and Europeans getting fucked hard back then (no FFVI, Crono or Earthbound for us), I can only choose this wonderful game that often gets overlooked because it never made it to the US. Despite its flaws, it was a seminal gaming experience for me.

#23 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Earthbound.

#24 Posted by EuanDewar (4690 posts) -

Super Mario world

#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (35837 posts) -
This one.
#26 Posted by misfeasor (27 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu? I've always considered those types of games to be more in the strategy genre but they can arguably also be considered RPGs I suppose.

#27 Posted by neoepoch (1293 posts) -

The golden age of the console RPG. Such a tough question....
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Earthbound
3. Super Mario RPG
4. FF6
5. Secret of Mana

But you could easily rearrange them...they are all so good!

#28 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

I loved lufia 1 and 2 but its not the best, Earthbound is.

#29 Edited by drowsap (679 posts) -

I grew up with SMRPG so thats where my vote falls by default

#30 Edited by awadnin (275 posts) -

Earthbound

#31 Posted by Animasta (14637 posts) -

@misfeasor said:

I wonder what games people are voting for with the "other game not listed" option besides besides Terranigma and Tales of Phantasia. I wouldn't be surprised if they were largely for Terranigma; it easily could have been on the list as well, but then again, there are too many great SNES RPGs to list.

Shin Megami Tensei 1 or 2? they're pretty good games (even If...)

#32 Posted by misfeasor (27 posts) -

@Animasta: I've never played either but I've been watching the Persona 4 endurance run lately, so I'm tempted to try these games. Also, apparently they're first-person style RPGs, like Wizardry, which is pretty fucking awesome. Hopefully the translation patches are good.

#33 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Earthbound and Chrono Trigger are probably better, but Super Mario RPG is #1 in my heart.

#34 Edited by avidwriter (667 posts) -

Seeing as how I only ever played Secret Of Mana, by vote is obvious.

@joshthebear said:

The lack of love for Secret of Mana saddens me. Such an amazing game.

Yes, yes indeed.

#35 Posted by bananaz (253 posts) -

Obviously RoboTrek, guys. Pshaw!

I voted Secret of Evermore. Something about it really clicked with me. The mechanic with the alchemy was cool and so was that dog.

BTW, Tales of Phantasia was pretty beast too.

#36 Posted by big_jon (5708 posts) -

Donkey Kong Country!

#37 Posted by Ducksworth (659 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@misfeasor said:

Shin Megami Tensei 1 or 2? they're pretty good games (even If...)

Heck, there are plenty more than that. Romancing Saga, Star Ocean, Bahamut Lagoon, Shadow Run and Tactics Ogre are just a few that I can name off the top of my head.

For me Tales of Phantasia is easily my favourite. I have a lot of good memories with the SNES RPG library but Phantasia is the game that got me started so I'm a bit unnecessarily biased towards it.

#38 Posted by Toxeia (728 posts) -

Terranigma for some reason

#39 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

H. all day long.

#40 Posted by Animasta (14637 posts) -

@misfeasor said:

@Animasta: I've never played either but I've been watching the Persona 4 endurance run lately, so I'm tempted to try these games. Also, apparently they're first-person style RPGs, like Wizardry, which is pretty fucking awesome. Hopefully the translation patches are good.

just be aware they're old games. Translation patch is pretty good, but it is very obtuse, so go ahead and read a FAQ while playing.

#41 Posted by PatchMaster (194 posts) -

Tough to choose. Gonna go with Chrono Trigger.

#42 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

FF3 SNES needs to get rid of randomly triggered encounters and Super Mario RPG needs to get rid of the button minigames. (or at least add onscreen prompts like proper QTEs do)

I might have voted Secret of Mana but it was so long since I've played it I can't safely say whether it didn't have something wrong with it. Maybe I'll vote it anyway for having 2P which is unthinkable.

#43 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -

I know it isn't the deepest game on here, but dammit I love Earthbound so much. That said, FFVI and Super Mario RPG are some of the best RPGs of all time (damn the SNES was great for them huh?).

I still have not played Chrono Trigger, nor have I watched the Endurance Run of it yet. I'm trying to play it on my PS2 first.

#44 Posted by Dalai (6980 posts) -

I keep telling you all it's Earthbound, yet this topic keeps coming up every few months. 

This topic does keep coming up every few months, right?

#45 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Lufia II

#46 Posted by Nux (2294 posts) -

Super Mario RPG hands down.

#47 Posted by Karkarov (2942 posts) -

From those on your list (and it is a good list) I would go something like this... with one little nit pick...

1: FFVI

2: Lufia 2

3: Chrono Trigger

4: Secret of Mana

5: Breath of Fire 2 (sorry you shoulda listed it!)

#48 Posted by JB2448 (5 posts) -

EarthBound gets my vote for being one of my favorite games of all time on an emotional level (along with the other two games in the Mother series), but Secret of Mana is my favorite SNES RPG in terms of gameplay.

#49 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Probably Chrono Trigger but I voted Secret of Evermore because of the nostalgia.

#50 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

my three favorites are not even listed as choices. wtf.

seiken dentetsu 3

bahamut lagoon

tales of phantasia ARCHE FUCKS LIKE A TIGER

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.