Bringing Snes games around?

#1 Posted by PolyesterKyle (134 posts) -

So I bring my SNES games around, a lot, probably more than I should considering their oldness. Though I've never considered their frailty to be an issue, they are pretty sturdy boys. As well as the console its self. My current method sucks as bad as anything can suck. Like seriously, string me up now. It's basically a big blue bag, with like the 50 or so games that I like playing on a regular basis, with the SNES at the bottom. Like, not only is it a huge pain in the ass to carry around and sort through games this way, it's also really disrespectful and dangerous to the games. It makes me sad. So I was thinking, "dude, there has got to be a better way to do this." I was considering like a suitcase or something, so that they could stand on their bottoms, labels up, next to each other flush with the sides of the case. That sounds pretty good to me, but I haven't tried it yet.

Basically, I'm just curious if any of you have a similar problem or whatever. And if so, I need to know, how do you cope. I need a remedy. Please and thank you.

#2 Posted by ThunderSlash (1947 posts) -

You can always line up your cartridges in a shoebox and put the console in a backpack or something.

#3 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

Dude, I've had this problem for all of two months until I found a solution.

Get one of those weird Nintendy screwdrivers, pop off the cases, and just keep the board innards. They take up way less space and go in the SNES all the same. Those cases are bul-keeey, you'll thank me later.

#4 Posted by PolyesterKyle (134 posts) -

@ThunderSlash: That is pretty good, only problem is, I would need like 4 or 5 shoe boxes, and that's only for the games I play a lot. Otherwise that sounds pretty good.

#5 Posted by LiquidPrince (16158 posts) -

I'm more surprised that someone plays the SNES often enough that they consider this a legitimate problem.

#6 Posted by PolyesterKyle (134 posts) -

@LiquidPrince: It's as legitimate as they come. I can't sleep at night, this haunts me. Honestly, I just love playing the games I grew up with, it's nothing that serious. I just have to imagine I'm not the only one in this boat.

#7 Posted by PolyesterKyle (134 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura: Man, that just seems sacrilegious, I don't know. I love the carts. I couldn't do that to them. I would just feel bad looking at them and handling them, all naked and junk. Plus some of these games are pretty pricey and I think it's easy to damage them without the "cases" on them.

#8 Posted by vmehnert (233 posts) -

something like this, eh? http://retro-treasures.blogspot.com/2008/02/carry-case-hiding-pal-snes-2.html or you could even use something like this, http://www.amazon.com/G-Pak-Xbox-360-Console-Organiser-Travel/dp/B000AYIZK8

#9 Posted by Dalai (7069 posts) -

I was going to say to buy a Wii and buy a shitload of Virtual Console games, but that Earthbound cartridge blows that idea out of the water. 

So plan B would be to just keep your SNES at home, place them on a shelf?

#10 Edited by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

@PolyesterKyle said:

@Lunar_Aura: Man, that just seems sacrilegious, I don't know. I love the carts. I couldn't do that to them. I would just feel bad looking at them and handling them, all naked and junk. Plus some of these games are pretty pricey and I think it's easy to damage them without the "cases" on them.

That's why you wrap the boards with aluminum foil and write the game title with a sharpie!

EDIT: Damn, I'm an asshole.

#11 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1547 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura said:

@PolyesterKyle said:

That's why you wrap the boards with aluminum foil and write the game title with a sharpie!

Oh man, all those potential shorts. You're giving me chest pain.

#12 Posted by prestonhedges (1961 posts) -

Use an emulator.

#13 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

I remember trying to get my dad to buy me a carrying case for my N64...that didn't work out so well

#14 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

There's got to be a better way!

Hi! Billy Mays here for the SNES Sack! An easy affordable way for you at home to carry your SNES games around with no hassle! The SNES sack is not just a bag, it's a customisable mode of transport! Just put your games in the sack and carry it around like a baby! Old-fashioned sacks will rip, tear, and burst into flames, but not the SNES sack! Transport all your old games safely without the need for delivery services and pesky couriers! We even managed to fit an entire SNES console in the sack, thanks to its elasticated walls! But wait, there's more! Order today for 69.95 and receive a free "My other car is a SNES sack!" bumper sticker!

#15 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

Have you tried lining the bottom of a Standard Paper Grocery Bag with SNES games, label-side up? Then, once you have a solid base of cartridges, putting the SNES on top? And if you have too many SNES games, you can always fill up another Standard Paper Grocery Bag with your cartridges.

It's not a good way to display your collection, but this is how I used to carry my stuff around to friends' houses way back when. I also didn't have ~50 games, so I only ever needed one bag.

#16 Posted by Aetheldod (3706 posts) -

plastic box .. ala Jeff Gertsman , works even for modern consolers too!!!!!!

#17 Posted by Mirado (1050 posts) -

I had a similar problem; I wasn't trying to take my cart based games anywhere, but I wanted better storage then just putting them in a bin or on a shelf. Turns out my dad had a lot of these leather suitcases that were molded on the inside to fit cassette tapes, and with a bit of modification (width wise) it was easy to fit rows of NES, SNES and Master System carts in them. I don't intend to take them anywhere, but I'm safe in the assumption that I'll look like a 70s mob boss if I do.

Nothing better then repurposing old items to your needs!

#18 Posted by WMoyer83 (645 posts) -

You could find a spot to stack your games and play the damn thing.

#19 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
I can hold onto them for you if you like.
#20 Posted by PolyesterKyle (134 posts) -

@Mirado: So you can attest to the suitcase method working? Of course it took some finagling but you got it. That was what my mind immediately went to.

@WMoyer83: Well I do play it, a lot. I just have a lot of spots that I play it at.

@LordAndrew: Well looking is free, but if you want to hold them, that's going to cost you

#21 Edited by SpaceRunaway (873 posts) -

I like trying to find period appropriate carrying cases, but as that can be a little tough, I just put everything else in large cardboard boxes.

Edit: What's the SF game you have in that picture that's not Tetris BG?

#22 Edited by PolyesterKyle (134 posts) -

@SpaceRunaway: battle dodgeball 2, think Super Dodge Ball if it featured Gundams and Ultramans. It's pretty cool actually

The other one, right next to it but obscured by the bag is Super Family Tennis. That's like the best tennis game ever.

#23 Posted by Bribo (605 posts) -

I've used SNES cartridges in games of icecube table hockey and found them to be perfectly functional afer the event.

#24 Posted by SpaceRunaway (873 posts) -

@PolyesterKyle:

Thanks. I've never played the Battle Dodgeball games, so it's good to know that it's a solid game. I'm more excited to learn about the existence of Super Family Tennis, as it seems that it'd be a required part of any collection on the basis of it simply being a Namcot tennis game. I'll keep an eye out for both of those.

#25 Posted by Slag (4846 posts) -
#26 Posted by Mirado (1050 posts) -

@PolyesterKyle: Yeah, the suitcases worked well. The ones I used were double sided, latched on both side of a sort of divider; unlock one side, 20-30 games, lock it, flip it over, unlock that side, 20-30 more.

Even without that, assuming the case is deep enough, you could probably get away with cutting out egg crate style packing foam or acoustic foam and gluing that into the case to be real secure. Depends on how professional and serious you take your....SNES games, I guess.

The amount of work you feel like putting into it is directly proportional to how fed up you are with your current system and how worried you are about some of those games getting banged up. They're pretty durable so the above might be overkill, but there's no denying how awesome that would look.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.