Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Platform »

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System was the second home console released by Nintendo.

Defective carts?

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

#1  Edited By Svenzon

I recently managed to find my old SNES console in my parents' basement and brought it home. Everything has been working nicely, save for the odd time when I have to power it on 2-3 times before it boots up. Today I bought two SNES games: Super Mario All-Stars and Super Star Wars. I got them really cheap, so naturally I was pretty stoked.

Problem is they both refuse to work. I've cleaned them both rather thoroughly with a Q-tip and alcohol. All-Stars never gives me any signs of life (TV just says "No signal"), but Star Wars will occasionally make the screen flash for a second before giving me a blank screen. I took a look at the connectors on the carts and they look discolored, kinda white and faded compared to my other games. So, I wonder if I can do anything about it? Should I open up the carts and try to clean them further? Or should I just track down new copies? This is on a PAL system, if that makes any difference.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yo, did you try blowing on them?

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Svenzon

Nope, because that would probably make things worse.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

Maybe you should clean the connectors of your SNES. I did the same with my NES and it works fine, I used a soft toothbrush and windex.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@svenzon said:

@ravenlight said:

Nope, because that would probably make things worse.

You have to believe.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By myke_tuna

I guess you could try to open them up and maybe attempt a deeper clean. Otherwise, just get some new carts and maybe verify they work before you get them, if you can?

I used to buy old carts at a swap meet/flea market and thankfully, sellers (the good ones anyway) had a system there to verify their stuff worked.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikkaq said:

Maybe you should clean the connectors of your SNES. I did the same with my NES and it works fine, I used a soft toothbrush and windex.

Hmm. I guess I could try, but the other carts work fine. Their connectors still look clean and shiny, unlike the All-Stars and Star Wars carts.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Svenzon

@myketuna said:

I guess you could try to open them up and maybe attempt a deeper clean. Otherwise, just get some new carts and maybe verify they work before you get them, if you can?

I used to buy old carts at a swap meet/flea market and thankfully, sellers (the good ones anyway) had a system there to verify their stuff worked.

I bought them from a customer who thought we accepted trade-ins on SNES stuff. Like I said, he didn't demand much for them, so it's not a big loss. Just a bummer. I'll try opening them up and see if I can clean them further.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ravenlight

@svenzon said:

@mikkaq said:

Hmm. I guess I could try, but the other carts work fine. Their connectors still look clean and shiny, unlike the All-Stars and Star Wars carts.

I'd recommend against using Windex because it can mess up the contacts you're cleaning. Isopropyl alcohol is what I'd use. Some helpful reading here: http://retrowaretv.com/the-dos-and-donts-of-game-cartridge-cleaning/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.