How do you pronounce it?

#1 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3089 posts) -

How do you pronounce the SNES while speaking? Do you say Snes (Like Jeff), S-N-E-S, or Super Nintendo.

All my life I have called it the Super Nintendo. Every person in my family calls it the Super Nintendo. All my friends call it the Super Nintendo. But I do call the original NES "The Nintendo..." But Jeff continues to blow my mind every time he calls it the Snes. Oh, and people who call it the S Nes don't count because they are losers.

#2 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1545 posts) -

I say Super Nintendo. Only when I'm typing it out do I say SNES..

#3 Posted by ShadowKiller (894 posts) -
@Out_On_Bail said:
" I say Super Nintendo. Only when I'm typing it out do I say SNES.. "
That's pretty much what I do too.
#4 Edited by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

I say Snes.

#5 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I say Super Nintendo. I might refer to it as the S-N-E-S also, but would never call it Snes. I think "Snes" is blasphemous! Jeff, you're guilty of high treason for this.

#6 Posted by sketch (194 posts) -

Everyone I know says it Snes, myeslf included. Though when most of those people say it, it's more like Snez...

#7 Edited by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@sketch said:
" Everyone I know says it Snes, myeslf included. Though when most of those people say it, it's more like Snez... "
When people around me say it, it sounds as if they are saying "Chicago" how odd....?
#8 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2402 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:
" I say Super Nintendo. I might refer to it as the S-N-E-S also, but would never call it Snes. I think "Snes" is blasphemous! Jeff, you're guilty of high treason for this. "
Agreed. I refer to it as Super Nintendo in public, and SNES while typing. You could never catch me saying "sness" though. I think that sounds silly.

For NES it's a little different. I'm more likely to say N-E-S in public and typing. Sometimes I'll refer to it as "the original Nintendo" though. Again, I never call it "ness."
#9 Posted by alsnuts2 (674 posts) -

I call it Super Nintendo and I think I type Super Nintendo as well.

As long as I am on the topic, Mario Paint? That game kicked fucking ass.

#10 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

I guess I would probably say 'Super Nintendo' but if I were having a long conversation about systems I might start using S-N-E-S. But you'd never catch me saying 'sness'.

#11 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I say "Super Nintendo" when I speak, SNES when I type. I have been known to say Snes now and then but it sometimes annoys me. I don't really mind it but....it just sounds wrong in some form. I digress.

#12 Posted by Azteris (810 posts) -
I say Super Nintendo out loud, but don't mind when people says SNES. S.N.E.S sounds a bit weird because most people don't pronounce their S's hard enough, and S-nes is for weirdo's.

I do call the the NES the N.E.S though.
#13 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

Super Nintendo.

#14 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Super Nintendo. When people say "SNES" out loud it pisses me off.

#15 Posted by torus (1096 posts) -

I say snes -_-.

#16 Posted by HatKing (5838 posts) -

I sometimes say Super NES but usually Super Nintendo.  The original I usually call NES but a lot of my friends and family and even I myself used to call it the Nintendo or the "Regular Nintendo".

#17 Edited by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

I spell it out like I'm Fergie.

#18 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

Super Nintendo every time.

#19 Posted by gla55jAw (2686 posts) -

Super Nintendo  I've never heard anyone call it "snes" until I heard Jeff say it. I said snes to my friend recently and he made fun of me.

#20 Posted by Pazy (2561 posts) -

I always say Snes, the only time ive ever said "Super Nintendo" was when my buddy pulled it out of his garage a few months ago with a box full of games and I was so excited for the fun to be had I had to say it slowly and purposfully.

#21 Posted by GreatMadness (37 posts) -

I don't see what the big deal is. I find in Australia "N.E.S" and Nes are interchangeable for the Nintendo Entertainment System, along with "Super Nintendo" and "Snes". It is essentially a laziness thing. Why say five syllables when you can say one?

#22 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -
@gla55jAw said:
" Super Nintendo  I've never heard anyone call it "snes" until I heard Jeff say it. I said snes to my friend recently and he made fun of me. "
haha, I imagine this is exactly what would happen to me if I ever said "snes" to anyone i know.
#23 Posted by Teptom (2047 posts) -

I say it S.N.E.S, Super Nintendo, or SNES. The way I say it depends on how I'm feeling at the moment.

#24 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

I say S N E S, or Super Nintendo. I don't say "Snes."

#25 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

I say it  S.N.E.S. pronouncing each letter. Or Super Nintendo. I types it SNES, but I don't read it as a standalone word.

#26 Posted by cinemandrew (711 posts) -

S.N.E.S. It actually bugs me a little very time I hear the guys say "Snes". It's just weird to me.

#27 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

S, N, E, S.... as separate letters.

#28 Edited by Kowbrainz (923 posts) -

Snes. Although I occasionally say Super Nintendo now since people like you have made me more conscious about how I pronounce these things for some reason. X_X

Edit: GreatMadness understands me. :P

#29 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

S-N-E-S.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.