Overlooked SNES games

• 75 results
#51 Edited by Psykhophear (939 posts) -
@Stefan: I love Goof Troop. Interesting to note that it was designed by Shinji Mikami, the father of Resident Evil. He also did Disney's Aladdin, another overlooked SNES game.  

Is it Al or just Din?

Here are my other picks: 

Piece of Pie

It's a shooting platforming game much like Contra but a really bad one. The reason I like it is because it's such an easy game. The bullets move really slow, the enemies walked very slow and the last boss is a piece of cake. So if you've ever been frustrated with games that are excruciatingly difficult and want to play an easier game, this is for you.

Next time, Gadget. NEXT TIME!
Believe it or not, Inspector Gadget is an amazing game. The platforming is solid and the weapons you have are ridiculously fun to use. The only that sucks is the lack of a password system. Thank god for unlimited continues.

"Bury me with my money"

I love this game. It's such a pleasure to play with a friend. Arcade style at its best.

6 Men = Total Chaos

An interesting game thanks to its storyline and range of characters. Even though the controls can be a little confusing and the gameplay is repetitive, it has that distinctive style that made it look more mature than the other games out there at the time.

Teenagers with Attitude! 

I loved MMPR and I loved this game too. The SNES version followed the source material really well and delivered a satisfying platforming game. The biggest letdown was the lack of a second player feature.

I have plenty more SNES games to include but these will do for now. :) I love the SNES!
#52 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@DeF: Yes. 
#53 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU said:
" This thread is confirming my belief that games are better now. "
Totally agree. I understand the appeal of retro games, but they certainly aren't definitively better than what we have now.
#54 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -

#55 Posted by Chaser324 (6342 posts) -
@GlenTennis: 
Wait...is UN Squadron actually overlooked? I sincerely hope that people here have played it. It's the best side scrolling shooter on the SNES in my opinion.
#56 Posted by StarFoxA (5140 posts) -
@extremeradical said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:
" This thread is confirming my belief that games are better now. "
Totally agree. I understand the appeal of retro games, but they certainly aren't definitively better than what we have now. "
Well, this isn't the "best games on the SNES" thread, but "overlooked SNES games." So these are good, but not fantastic games. In general, I would say that each era of gaming has had their fantastic and had their mediocre games; no one era is better than another. 

Also thought I'd throw another overlooked game out there. I've been playing Robotrek, it's a pretty unique little RPG. 

#57 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
@StarFoxA: Robotrek was pretty cool.

What I said makes more sense if you noticed that the guy who started this thread also made the "360 is Garbage" topic, wherein he derides the modern console for not having a Chrono Trigger equivalent.
#58 Posted by StarFoxA (5140 posts) -
@extremeradical: Chrono Trigger is pretty awesome... 

I'm a little biased, since that's my favorite game of all time. :P
#59 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -
@ProfessorK said:
" An overlooked Capcom gem

"
This game is amazing.
#60 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
@StarFoxA: My favourite is Kirby Super Star, so I'm not entirely unbiased either.
#61 Posted by Redbullet685 (6029 posts) -
@Psykhophear said:

"Bury me with my money"

I love this game. It's such a pleasure to play with a friend. Arcade style at its best.

This. This game is amazing.
#62 Posted by StarFoxA (5140 posts) -
@extremeradical: Out of the Kirby games I've played, Dream Land 2 is my favorite. Super Star was pretty good, but I didn't like the great cave adventure game... or whatever that one was called.
#63 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" @extremeradical: Out of the Kirby games I've played, Dream Land 2 is my favorite. Super Star was pretty good, but I didn't like the great cave adventure game... or whatever that one was called. "
The Great Cave Offensive. It was my second favourite after Milky Way Wishes.
#65 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11495 posts) -

As someone who never owned a SNES and therefore has only experienced it after the fact, I find some of these game choices puzzling. Next someone's going to say Earthbound and I'm going to laugh.

#66 Posted by StarFoxA (5140 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater: EarthBound was only "overlooked" during its time, now it has a fairly rapid fanbase. If you haven't played it, I recommend doing so. Its charm is in its simplicity and humor, although if you're going to emulate it I highly recommend fast-forwarding, since the battles can get pretty tedious (in my opinion, the battle system is fairly archaic).
#67 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11495 posts) -
@StarFoxA: Earthbound is the definition of a game that only became popular years after the fact due to emulation and the internet ('Cause Ness was in Super Smash Bros. Really, same for Fire Emblem). I know that. But I was still half expecting someone to say it. 

As for me playing the game itself? Maybe someday. I know it's trippy, nonsensical and charming, I know the combat isn't all that great, and I know the final boss is probably an aborted fetus or something. It just hasn't interested me enough for me to go out of my way to find it or play it. It's up there with Super Metroid on my imaginary "Games I probably should play, but haven't gotten around to doing so" list. Except Super Metroid is on the Virtual Console, so I could actually buy it right now if I wanted to.
#68 Posted by StarFoxA (5140 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater: Dude, you haven't played Super Metroid? Get on that!
#69 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11495 posts) -
@StarFoxA:  Alright, talk to me after I finish Neverwinter Nights 2, Icewind Dale 2, Planescape Torment, and Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, not to mention all the games that I've already bought from the virtual console that I'm not playing. Like Ogre Battle 64. As I said, I'll do it eventually. I liked Symphony of the Night and Shadow Complex quite a bit, so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy Super Metriod.
#70 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -
@Informant said:
"
"
fucking love you. I had to make the page on the site for this game because nobody loved it!
#71 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

(Was also on SNES)
#72 Edited by bobafettjm (1407 posts) -

I will second Plok. A fun and unique platformer with really great music. I also think Jurassic Park for the SNES was pretty overlooked, I really loved that game and recently played it and still loved it. Here is some sampling of the Plok Soundtrack.

#73 Posted by StarFoxA (5140 posts) -

I just discovered a really cool game, so I think I'll bump this. 

Rendering Ranger: R2
Comes from the creator of Turrican. Rendering Ranger: R2 is probably the best looking SNES game I've played in a long time. 

Some crazy parallax scrolling here

#74 Posted by pikeplacer (388 posts) -

I'm not much for golf <sims, but this game rules!
#75 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

im pretty sure you missed a few ,

top gear 3000

top gear 2

top gear , -these were awsome racing games , very rare the last one is , i had a heck of a time trying to locate a cheap copy ,

and since i got 183 or so games its quite hard for me to run through a big list of them but there was alot of over looked games, thats simple to do when the library is as big as it is, in fact the wii is another example of a system with alot of overlooked games because people are afriad to try them , and since this is the snes board i think its appropriate to list some good ones along side these

super mario world

zombies ate my nieghbors

stunt race fx

the lion king

toy story

mega man series

ff series

yoshi s island

dkc series

just some of the ones i still play today along side top gear and super mario is missing

ill tell you guys one developer to watch out for to ,

LJN -youll know their logo when you see it its a rainbow of many colors and whats behind that rainbow most certainly is not gold ill tell you that , ive played 4 ljn games in my life and all 4 of them sucked, they are famous for games like friday the 13th nes , and a whole host of other movie based games, then theres the wrestling games , and super crash dummies, each one of these things are poorly thought out , especally the wrestling games, its to repetitive each character does the same moves over and over , and crash dummies just your generic platforming game that incredibilly can desquise it self just by looking at the title youll think its some sort of driving game, but in reality your treated to a big pile of trash

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.