SNES games are cool?

• 57 results
#1 Edited by NickL (2247 posts) -

So after all this talk on the bombcast, I pulled my SNES out of the closet and to my suprise it actually runs even though I can hear several loose bits inside of it. The problem is I never really had a good collection of games. (Only good one I can think of is super mario world)

So I'm going to spend about 50 bucks or so on games. Should I buy specific games off of ebay or should I just take the luck of the draw that is a random lot? If you recommend buying individual games, what should I get? Should I blow my load on a few good games (like zelda) or just get a ton of 2 dollar games? i don't know! I need your help!

#2 Edited by Marmalade (192 posts) -

One of my all time favourites is Super Mario RPG. It's some of the most fun I've had with an rpg.

After some quick googling, it turns out that may not be the best choice if you're sticking to a $50 budget. :(

#3 Posted by Ben_H (3430 posts) -
@Marmalade: Yeah I just bought it. The average price is around $70. It's an amazing game though. 

I would get a few really good games over a huge load of questionable ones. That's what I did, though my budget was higher. Just get some solid classics like Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island and A Link to The Past.
#4 Edited by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

Going to recommend a gem instead of the obvious choices. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is a kick ass beat em up. Sadly it's only one player.

#5 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -
@Ben_H I just found my copy of donkey kong country! I loved that game
#6 Posted by Nightriff (5335 posts) -

I don't have a big SNES collection at all, wish to add to it at some point, but I have the games that I enjoy. Personally I think Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, Link to the Past, Mortal Kombat 2 and Killer Instinct (I like it) are must haves. You also have the classics that you should get but can run quite expensive like Super Metroid, the mentioned Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger etc. You are a premium member, go back and watch the SNES Members Only Party, some pretty cool games they played that I want to get at some point. Uniracers looks like a blast to play, Tetris Battle Gaiden is classic but you have to clip out some pieces to work, it is a super famicom game but can work in a SNES, should pick both of those up....

#7 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -
#8 Edited by evanbower (1216 posts) -
#9 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1172 posts) -

I don't know if you have a Wii or not but you get 5 of the best SNES games on the Virtual Console. Two gems I would recommend would be Kirby Super Star and Super Metroid. Yoshi's Island is also pretty great but I don't think that's on the Virtual Console.

#10 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -
#11 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Just a heads up, the loose bits inside of it might be cockroaches that cralled in there through the game port and couldn't get back out n died, that happens a lot with stuff like this.

Have fun though.

#12 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -
@I_smell Sounds kind of like hard plastic or metal I think. I was almost certain it wouldn't work but apart from a soft buzz it seems really solid so far. Except for everything except super Mario world it seems to be almost impossible to get past the menus so either a button on my controller is busted or a lot of my cartridges are screwed up. Poor dinocity!
#13 Posted by bartok (2582 posts) -
#14 Posted by SaFt (390 posts) -
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Turtles In Time - It's a must have.
  • Pocky & Rocky - Fantastic game, but i do believe it's a bit on the expensive side.
  • Legend of the Mystical Ninja
  • Illusion of Time
  • Capcom Disney games - Most of the Disney games during the SNES era was fantastic. Specifically Mickey's Magic Quest, Goof Troop and Aladdin. Probably not very expensive.
#15 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

if you can get a copy of cutthroat island for cheap, go for it, i played the life out of that

#16 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -
#17 Posted by NimbusLaw (24 posts) -

Demon's Crest and Final Fantasy VI are must have!

#18 Posted by Rafaelfc (1458 posts) -
this game is fantastic!!! if you can find it, totally worth playing it.
#19 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -
#20 Posted by Superkenon (1506 posts) -
#21 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@NickL: It also might have been said already, I didnt read the whole thread, but the batteries for the save games might be dead, or diying. So you will eather have to do some Battiery replacing or you will want to get games that dont utilize saves (I.E. Super Mario Bros. 3.)

#22 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I wouldn't just go randomly buying games for any system. The SNES certainly has one of the best libraries of all time, but it still has plenty of horrible crap. Just firing away in the dark could net you nothing but. Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy IV are my favorites. I'd definitely rather spend 50 on four or five greats than 20 pieces of shit

#23 Edited by falling_fast (2279 posts) -

Chrono Trigger,

Final Fantasy III for the snes (ie. Final Fantasy VI),

Donkey Kong Country,

Donkey Kong Country 2,

Legend of Zelda: Link To the Past,

Super Mario RPG,

Earthbound,

Zombies Ate My Neighbors,

Super Star Wars,

Super Mario All Stars.

edit: don't bother watching those streams if you want to see good games, btw. Jeff states multiple times that he did not buy good games for the snes. He bought a fuckton of amazingly terrible games instead.

#24 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

My go-tos would be Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Yoshi's Island, Kirby Super Star, Uniracers, Tetris Attack, and The Lost Vikings. That list right there is over 150 hours of entertainment. Plus, the skill ceiling on Uniracers is like super-duper-high.

#25 Posted by Icemo (659 posts) -

Why hasn't anyone recommended this yet?

#26 Edited by MetalBaofu (1440 posts) -

Most of what I can think of off the top of my head as been said already, so I'll just add a mention of Breath of Fire 1 and 2.

#27 Posted by mtcantor (951 posts) -

Joe and Mac Caveman Ninja is terrifically underrated.

Also, Shadowrun, Actraiser (BUT NOT Actraiser 2!), and Lufia (I and II).

#28 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@NickL

So after all this talk on the bombcast, I pulled my SNES out of the closet and to my suprise it actually runs even though I can hear several loose bits inside of it. The problem is I never really had a good collection of games. (Only good one I can think of is super mario world)

So I'm going to spend about 50 bucks or so on games. Should I buy specific games off of ebay or should I just take the luck of the draw that is a random lot? If you recommend buying individual games, what should I get? Should I blow my load on a few good games (like zelda) or just get a ton of 2 dollar games? i don't know! I need your help!

Tiny Toon Adventures Buster Busts Loose.
#29 Posted by Elyk247 (371 posts) -

Go for games like Uniracers, Mortal Kombat 2, Super Metroid, Rock N' Roll Racing, Super Mario World, F-Zero, Aladdin, Firepower 2000, and Super Smash T.V.

Be wary of RPG's (unless those are your thing) because they cost way too much, and they are very archaic. Personally, I love Phantasy Star II. Best 16-bit RPG imo, but I don't want to play it again. The grinding and the difficulty of those older RPG's are ridiculous by today's standards.

#30 Posted by Bane122 (811 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

Going to recommend a gem instead of the obvious choices. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is a kick ass beat em up. Sadly it's only one player.

Yeah I still enjoy that game to this day. The MMPR: Fighting Edition was also a fun game, though not super deep.

#31 Posted by Lokno (386 posts) -

Shadowrun for SNES is great, if a little weird with a controller. Awesome music.

#32 Posted by predator (357 posts) -
#33 Edited by Laurentech (127 posts) -

I wouldn't go buying random games; you could easily end up with a lot of junk... For me, this list would comprise some of the most excellent games on the SNES:

Chrono Trigger, Demon's Crest, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, Donkey Kong Country 3, Earthbound, Final Fantasy IV (II in the U.S.), Final Fantasy VI (III in the U.S.), Illusion of Gaia, Kirby Super Star, Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past, The Lost Vikings, Mega Man X, Mega Man X 2, Mortal Kombat 2, NBA Jam Tournament Edition (more fun if you have someone to play with), Secret of Mana, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, Super Metroid

If you're willing to play ROMs, don't miss out on Seiken Densetsu 3 (w/ English translation). Absolutely one of the best RPGs on the SNES.

#34 Posted by csl316 (9436 posts) -
@JJOR64

I remember loving this but I'm curious how much of that is nostalgia.
#35 Posted by ApolloBob (570 posts) -
#36 Posted by rachelepithet (1392 posts) -

Chronological trigger and earthbound go for around $200, so don't expect to hype yourself up for those. Also lol iPad autocorrect.

#37 Posted by falconpunch (179 posts) -

Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Super Metroid, ActRaiser. these games and Super Mario World are my top five SNES games

#38 Posted by ThePickle (4167 posts) -

Home Alone

#39 Posted by PillClinton (3295 posts) -

Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Final Fantasy III (VI in Japan).

Also, are you opposed to emulation? It's so much easier, although obviously not genuine and 'pure.' Not being facetious--legitimate question.

#40 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2609 posts) -

Mega Man X biatch!

@PeasantAbuse said:

I would have been heart broken if nobody mentioned this. Best beat em up game ever.

#41 Edited by NickL (2247 posts) -

I have found some more good games. I have Super Mario World, Megaman X, Donkey Kong Country, Breathe of fire, and some others.

So far I have bought Fzero and 2 controllers. I'm looking into buying nba jam (nostalgia bro!) and mario kart right now. As a broke college student, this was a terrible idea to get into buying old games.... I'm considering going to savers and seeing how much a CRT would cost...

I've decided to avoid RPGs because batteries are annoying.

@boocreepyfootdoctor said:

Chronological trigger and earthbound go for around $200, so don't expect to hype yourself up for those. Also lol iPad autocorrect.

(not so) fun fact: I used to own chrono trigger but let my friend borrow it and at the same time he let me borrow bulls vs blazers. We never traded back. I got stuck with bulls vs blazers and he has chrono trigger somewhere! What a win for me! I think I still have the box and manual for chrono trigger somewhere but it is probably destroyed beyond recognition.

@ThePickle said:

Home Alone

I already own it!

#42 Posted by ThePickle (4167 posts) -

@NickL said:

@ThePickle said:

Home Alone

I already own it!

...did you spray the water gun?

#43 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

@NickL said:

@ThePickle said:

Home Alone

I already own it!

...did you spray the water gun?

Only nonstop!

#44 Posted by PillClinton (3295 posts) -

@NickL: Wait, so, if you're broke, why not emulation? Or is it a collector's thing? If so, I can get behind that, but I'm really just curious. I stupidly sold all my old consoles in garage sales years ago, and emulation has allowed me to easily play classic games.

#45 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -

@PillClinton said:

@NickL: Wait, so, if you're broke, why not emulation? Or is it a collector's thing? If so, I can get behind that, but I'm really just curious. I stupidly sold all my old consoles in garage sales years ago, and emulation has allowed me to easily play classic games.

I like owning things so I guess it is a collectors thing, even though I don't really consider myself a collector >_>

#46 Posted by Zajtalan (1163 posts) -

Mega man x

#47 Posted by Zelyre (1275 posts) -

Unlike the present, when it comes to the SNES era, anything made by Squaresoft.

FF4-6. Chrono Trigger. Front Mission. Romancing Saga.

ActRaiser was pretty bad ass.

Tactics Ogre.

Of course, there's Super Mario World, Super Mario All Stars. Link to the Past. Super Metroid.

And of course, the grand dady of SNES games.

Jurassic Park.

(Fuck that game. Taking advantage of young, naive, teenage me and my irrational love for anything and everything Jurassic Park...)

#48 Posted by Schatzy23 (164 posts) -

@Turtlebird95 said:

Mega Man X biatch!

@PeasantAbuse said:

I would have been heart broken if nobody mentioned this. Best beat em up game ever.

I've sunk more hours into this game with friends than any other game...EVER!!

#49 Posted by alexl86 (634 posts) -

I was thinking about buying a NES/SNES a few years ago, but ended up buying a Wii instead. Some of the better and rarer games for the systems cost $ 50+, though you can get lucky and find a few gems in a collection. I found out it was actually cheaper to buy a new Wii with a classic controller and buy the games I wanted on Virtual Console. You're also not dealing with 20 year old hardware.

#50 Posted by TobbRobb (4841 posts) -

The only games you need for SNES are Super Metroid and FFVI. Other than that, Link to the Past is good if you like those kinds of games and Mario RPG is supposedly amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.