Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

Anyone else kind of pissed at Nintendo in the UK?

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So as has happened to many others in this country, I pre-ordered the Super Smash Bros. Wii U bundle with the GC controller adapter on Amazon, as well as a SSB GC controller.

I had already heard that Nintendo hadn't manufactured enough of them, but from searching the internet and various forums I've seen that a vast amount of people in the UK have had their orders "delayed" because of this.

My packages got a new estimated delivery: 19th of Dec. 2014. I'm not even in the country then! I also know I'm far from the only one that got this email from amazon:

"We're writing to let you know that the following items have been unexpectedly delayed: Nintendo GameCube Controller ... Super Smash Bros. ... Estimated arrival date: December 19 2014..."

It looks like it's a combination of both companies; amazon obviously took on too many pre-orders and only sent it to the earliest customers (I pre-ordered on the 8th of Nov.), and on top of it all Nintendo didn't manufacture enough of these adapters. Although I have also heard that shops like Argos have had problems too. In fact, out of desperation, I tried calling Game to see if they had any adapters left in stock. I couldn't even get through to them.

So, in order to get my fix I've resorted to downloading the game digitally and canceling my amazon orders (because screw you for telling me about the delay on the day). This will take up most of my Wii U's measly 32GB of memory. Luckily the only other Wii U title I own is Mario Kart 8. I guess I'll get ahold of the adapter once they drop the price back down, because they've almost doubled it! When I was pre-ordering it was at around £17, now it's £31.

This is all rather unfortunate, I've been incredibly excited for Smash Bros. since it was announced, even preceding that. It was meant to be a special day where I'd get to enjoy the process of receiving my package, but instead it's turned into a pathetic scramble for a game. I actually took the day off work for this. Definitely the last time I pre-order something, I never really did it anyways unless I knew I was going to love the game.

Anyways, enough melodrama, I hope those of you that got your game the way you wanted to are currently enjoying it.

Keep it real,

Carlos

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More confused as to why anybody wants to use that horrible controller any more when there's a better alternative.

Zeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I was going to a friends tonight to play, but yes his thing got delayed as well. It is kinda ass.

More confused as to why anybody wants to use that horrible controller any more when there's a better alternative.

Is the WiiU controller really that great? But regardless of that, there's the much more obvious reason that a lot of people (especially playing Smash) probably already own one or more Gamecube controllers and paying about £20 for the adapter is certainly cheaper than buying new controllers.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@gunslingerpanda: because despite what you may think it is a good controller and I already have 5 of them. I'd rather pay the $20 to be able to use all of them rather then $50 each for the pro controller.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xyzygy

I think this also could confirm that Nintendo is making new adapters? If they're pushing the delivery date back by 3 weeks, that must mena they're expecting more adapters to be made.

@gunslingerpanda: In my case, and it's probably the same with others, the adapter is needed for 8 player smash. I am playing on the Wii U Gamepad and I think it works like a charm, it's a really great controller for smash. But when I want to get 8 people playing and I have 5 Gamecube controllers lying around (in addition to my two Wii Pro controllers), it's good to actually be able to use those controllers.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

It isn't just the UK, these things seem to be sold out everywhere. One of my friends is trying to get one and they just aren't available right now.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry I didn't get back to anyone for ages, didn't get any notifications about it.

Yeah it's pretty awful, also now the adapters are £100 on amazon which is disgusting. Nintendo really messed up with that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.