Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

"Fixing" almost 20 years of not getting smash bros?

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Ever since the first one, I have been perplexed at how other people can play this game, understand what's going on onscreen and how it corresponds to controller inputs, and enjoy it.

I'm totally into the concept, but the controls make less than zero sense to me. I have sat and pushed the same buttons repeatedly yielding different results, can't tell where my character is on screen half the time, and basically am completely befuddled by this game. It's not that I don't like it, I have just never been able to interact with it in a way that feels meaningful (i.e. what is even happening?!).

Where do I start to understand WTF is going on in this game? I have enjoyed pretty much every other fighting game I have played and understood relatively quickly what the tactics and execution are such that I can pinpoint "I should be doing X but am doing Y instead." Any suggestions on video series or guides for the utterly confused?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I agree that Smash 4, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, got especially hard to follow, with the way items got pretty out of control and there are so many assist trophies and Final Smashes to remember.

If you dig into the menus, is there not a place that has a tutorial, or at least a tutorial video? It sounds like you're not asking for any particular high level strategy (which is mostly what I think you would find in video guides on Youtube), and you're more looking for a solid explanation of the fundamental mechanics of how you execute jumping, dodging, and various character attacks?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

@mrroach: I would suggest looking up Ultrachen's videos on Smash, or Melee, basics. On the other hand though...

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mrroach

I think I'm looking for something slightly higher level than that (only slightly though), which is: what the hell am I supposed to do in this game? Watching the action leaves me feeling like other characters are just randomly bouncing around without rhyme or reason, but I'm sure there are tactics being employed, so I can't learn anything from that. I mean, I'm already aimlessly jumping and flurrying, just measurably worse somehow.

Edit: I should note that I have no desire to randomly jump around and attack, so I'm going under the assumption that this is not how the game is played...

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Download Smash 64 and do the tutorial there. Get those basics, as after that they just keep adding moves and mechanics and characters and items.

Or just watch that Smash 64 tutorial somewhere. It explains how the basic mechanics work.

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaff Thanks, watching now

phuzzybunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By phuzzybunny

IMO the first Super Smash Brothers is the only one worth playing.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I've never understood this game either but in all honesty, I enjoyed fighting game in like... 20 years... so meh.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.