Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

Gamecube Adapter

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

So it seems like every store is sold out of the Gamecube controller adapter, so, naturally, I went to Amazon. To my surprise this thing is going for $110 and up!! Seriously? It came out YESTERDAY!

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Apparently Nintendo didn't make a whole lot of them (not even enough to cover preorders). People realized this pretty quickly and bought up whatever stock a store had. I was lucky enough to have gotten the bundle, but the story only had one more adapter by the time I got there mid afternoon.

Hopefully Nintendo will be making more for another batch but considering you can only (for now at least) use it for just Smash I can see the adapter being a highly sought after item with a low amount of inventory.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm really hoping this is just a low stock issue and Nintendo is planning on restocking soon, but who knows. Nintendo makes a lot of stupid baffling choices.

If they don't, you can always grab a Mayflash Adapter. (Though those only fit one controller each)

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

In the manual it offers the option to use two Gamecube adapters at once, so maybe they'll sell it separately? That obviously isn't a strong clue, but it would be kind of audacious of them think someone would buy two copies of a launch-exclusive bundle just to use eight Gamecube controllers.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

In the manual it offers the option to use two Gamecube adapters at once, so maybe they'll sell it separately? That obviously isn't a strong clue, but it would be kind of audacious of them think someone would buy two copies of a launch-exclusive bundle just to use eight Gamecube controllers.

It is being sold separate for $20 as well as in the bundle with the new controller and game for $100.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I went around yesterday to every electronics store in my city. No adapters, but plenty of official GC controllers. The manager at an EB Games told me that Nintendo's stance basically boiled down to, "Hey, thanks for selling those out for us, but we're not making any more! Have a good day!" A couple of employees at a Best Buy echoed that sentiment. it's baffling and honestly, infuriating. They touted the ability to use GC controllers, and don't even have the stock for day-one buyers, the group of people who are most dedicated to Smash as a franchise? It's a pretty uncool move on their part. I ended up preordering an adapter off of a UK-based retailer, so I should have one by early December, but I'm really irritated that Nintendo shafted early adopters like that.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Definitely glad I got the bundle now. However I was hoping to get a second one at some point when I had some extra cash lying around.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By supermonkey122

This sucks. I only have a gamepad and a pro controller, and none of my friends have Wii U's, so they're all relying on me to play this game.

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By wallee321

I went around to all the stores near me last night, couldn't find any.

Nintendo HAS to make more, probably will just take them till March to have them available, man typical clueless Nintendo.

Just have to use wii motes and nun chucks :/

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I'm glad I got mine. It's the best way to play the game.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@oscar__explosion: Oh hey, look at that, it totally is. I could've fact-checked that, I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wait, if they don't plan on restocking the GC adapters and controllers, wouldn't that make the 8 Player Smashes almost impossible for future players?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, if they don't plan on restocking the GC adapters and controllers, wouldn't that make the 8 Player Smashes almost impossible for future players?

Well, no. You can have at least four pro controllers plus a gamepad in addition to as many as 8 3DS's serving as controllers.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xyzygy

There is no way they're planning on not making any more adapters. I called every single video game retailer in the city on Friday morning and they were sold out within an hour of opening, everywhere. I literally had strangers come up to me (seeing the blue game case in the bag) and ask if I was doing the same thing as them: looking for the adapter. The girl working at Wal Mart said they only got four and that I was probably the 20th person to come in and ask for it. This was at 10AM.

Nintendo will make more of these, don't worry. This is just the typical supply and demand thing. There is no way they would make so many controllers with only one batch of adapters and then stop producing them forever. Even Nintendo isn't that fucked up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.