Why was there never a "New Play Control" version of Melee?

#1 Posted by ReverendHunt (339 posts) -

Seriously, when Nintendo announced they'd be re-releasing Gamecube games for the Wii, I expected that Melee would be one of them. It was the best selling game on the console (7.09 million by the stats I'm looking at) and although I'm not one of them, a lot of people prefer Melee to Brawl. The only reason I can think of why this wasn't done, would be to prevent it from stealing Brawl's thunder and sales.

#2 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Because brawl came out

#3 Posted by TooWalrus (13167 posts) -

Product cannibalization.

#4 Posted by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -

I don't really see much reason to.

All of those other games (DK, Metroid, Pikmin) stood to (arguably) benefit from motion controls. Pikmin is a strategy game, where point-and-click is the accepted standard. Metroid Prime 3 had proven that a motion-based control scheme might be preferable for those games for some people. In Brawl, however, there was pretty much no implementation of the Wii Remote. Hard to justify a re-release under a program about upgrading controls when you can't change anything about the controls, especially when you have a "better" sequel out already.

#5 Edited by Snail (8595 posts) -

Wasn't the point of the "new play control" the fact that it would be based around motion controls? How would Melee benefit from that? Besides, people still love using Game Cube controllers on Brawl. I don't think it would have made a lot of sense to release Melee under that "new play control" banner if people keep going back to an older controller for playing the latest installment in the franchise.

#6 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

I'm guessing it's twofold: Brawl was already out, so why release another Smash Bros game, that would affect sales of both. And two, Wii controls on Brawl were a compromise, it didn't exactly enhance the experience, and it would add nothing to Melee.

#7 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

Who liked playing playing Brawl with anything other than a Gamecube controller?

God I hope the next Smash Bros makes Samus better and gets rid of tripping.

#8 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

It would have been weird to remake melee for Wiimote controls when everyone played Brawl with the GC controller anyway.

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Nottle said:

I have met such mythical creatures.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (24406 posts) -

@Nottle said:

I used the Classic Controller. A friend of mine used the Wii Remote/Nunchuk because she didn't have anything else.

#11 Posted by believer258 (11797 posts) -

Why would that be a good idea? You can already play Melee on (most) Wii's and there are no benefits to playing it with a Wii-mote as Brawl so rightly proved, so why would Nintendo do that?

@Video_Game_King said:

@Nottle said:

I have met such mythical creatures.

What? Where? Why?

#12 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10910 posts) -

A. Brawl came out. B. Anyone who liked Smash Bros. already owned Melee, and Gamecube discs work on Wiis.

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@believer258:

I'll have to get back to you on that once I get a translation of the old incantations that made it all possible.

#14 Posted by StarvingGamer (8149 posts) -

@Nottle said:

God I hope the next Smash Bros gets rid of tripping.

The importance of this cannot be understated.

#15 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

Brawl basically filled the gap on the console that a new version of Melee would have done, and then some, and it's hard to conceive of any way in which Melee would have benefited from motion controls, they certainly didn't seem to think that they need to be implemented to any great degree in Brawl.

#16 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

@Nottle said:

God I hope the next Smash Bros gets rid of tripping.

The importance of this cannot be understated.

I'm not one to take Smash Bros seriously, I turn on all the items set the frequency to max and love the really stupid stages but really no tripping, making Final Smashes a little more balanced, and making characters like Samus and Captain Falcon a little more satisfying to play. Samus in the Metroid games feels so much more powerful than her Smash Bros Counterpart.

Also I hope Solid Snake returns in another game. He was too cool.

@Hailinel said:

@Nottle said:

I used the Classic Controller. A friend of mine used the Wii Remote/Nunchuk because she didn't have anything else.

I forgot that the classic controller existed. I assume thats fine. There have been times thats I've been forced to use a nunchuck and wiimote or even just the wiimote and it's not fun. To throw items you have to press some crazy combination of buttons like b and 2. Also pressing up to jump in smash bros and not a button like X or y like you'd do on a GC controller does not sit well with me. I don't do this personally but people like using the Cstick to do smash attacks.

#17 Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

Most people played Brawl with the Gamecube controller. So it really would not have made sense to make new controls for Melee that no one would use.

#18 Posted by BisonHero (6440 posts) -

@ReverendHunt: If you're even asking the question, I don't think you understood the point of the odd New Play Control series. You seem to be treating it as if it was "Yeah, let's rerelease all the rad Gamecube games!", as a sort of weird Greatest Hits things. It was not that. If it was, I would've said "Hey, how about you rerelease Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, because Super Paper Mario is an abomination."

While New Play Control games did get slight improvement like 16:9 aspect ratios, the purpose of the series was to bolster the Wii's library with games that showed motion controls work within traditional games. Which was ultimately kind of lazy of them, because instead of actually making a new Mario Tennis, they just put out the NPC version of Mario Power Tennis for the Gamecube and said "There, Mario Tennis game on the Wii, case closed". It was their way of adding variety to the Wii library while still technically ignoring series like Mario Tennis and Pikmin. Granted, the Gamecube didn't do very well in sales, so I'm sure the people who missed out on those games initially appreciate the chance to play them.

Additionally, as people have pointed out in this thread, Brawl didn't use motion control in any way other than the pointer on the menus, and I don't see how they could do much more for Melee. So right away, that deflates the entire marketing reason for a New Play Control game to exist - without motion control, there is no point. And aside from that, like I said, NPC was largely used on series that didn't have a Wii entry: there wasn't a New Play Control Mario Kart Double Dash because Mario Kart Wii already gives you a pretty fucking good idea of how that would play. So they'd just be cannibalizing sales of Brawl (a game they spent tens of millions on) if they rereleased Melee (a Wii rerelease that would take very little money to create). They have much greater incentive to make their money back on the game they just made than to rerelease Melee, which has paid itself off years ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.