Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros.

Franchise »

The Super Smash Bros. series is Nintendo's premier fighting series, featuring many characters from Nintendo's most popular games as well as third-party characters.

Captain N: The Game Master

princemarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Even though he's from a cartoon and is not a video game character, I would like to see Captain N included in the next Super Smash Bros. His adventures were set in worlds based on Nintendo video games, and he even teamed up with Nintendo characters (Simon Belmont, Pit, Mega Man, Link and Bayou Billy).

I don't know if Nintendo has a rule about only using video game characters, but they should make an exception for Captain N.

If you don't know who Captain N is, here's his wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_N), but just think of Kingdom Hearts, but with Nintendo characters and worlds instead of Disney/Final Fantasy characters and worlds.

Avatar image for beast_in_the_shadows
    beast_in_the_shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well, the inclusion of ROB shows that they are not married solely to character who were in a video game. However there are a few problems involved with him.

First would be recognition. I'm not really sure he is recognizable enough as a character to make it in. For one generation he might be familiar, but to everyone else he is an unknown. Beyond that, he was created, designed and conceived in North America (US and Canada both had shares in his creation) and tho I know the cartoons eventually went to Tokyo, I can't say for any degree how well they were received. If it turns out he wasn't very popular and memorable over in Japan I can guarantee he has no chance of being anything more than a trophy for obscure history sake.

The other problem is one of licencing. A lot of the characters used in that show were not Nintendo owned characters (Simon, Mega Man, Bayou Billy...) Further, it is possible that the right to Captain N belong to DIC since they made and designed him (or whoever owns the DIC rights now) Again, I can't say for certain if this is an issue because it might have been in the contract that any characters created for the show would belong to Nintendo. However, when the show ended, Nintendo may have never decided to buy the characters rights.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.