Characters who don't deserve to appear in the next game

#1 Posted by rockenhard (117 posts) -

If they made another Smash Bros game, which characters do you think do not deserve to appear in it. The one that comes from the top of my head, are most of the mario characters metioned (Cept Toad) and most of the third party that were metioned. My reason for this, is that most of the characters from the Mario series that were metioned are not ten years old, or don't have a role out of spin off games, as for most of the third party games, my reason for that is because most of the third party characters would be impossible to appear in the next game. I can probally think of more, but am too lazy to write everything down.

#2 Posted by Icil (727 posts) -

I'd be much happier if they just went all out and tried getting a huge database of characters. They could release a couple every week as DLC, I'd pay for that.

#3 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -
@Icil said:
" I'd be much happier if they just went all out and tried getting a huge database of characters. They could release a couple every week as DLC, I'd pay for that. "
It'd be pretty difficult to balance if they kept adding more characters.
#4 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

They should reset the roster with the exception of the main Nintendo characters

#5 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

I'd be happy if they got rid of Sonic. Man i fucking hate that hedgehog in Smash Bros. 

He deserves to be just in memory of the good old Sega Genesis days i personally think.

#6 Posted by papercut (3496 posts) -

they better nerf the shit out of snake. 

and idunno...Waluigi?

#7 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

I think they should branch out to some capcom characters.  That'd be pree cool... maybe...   

Master Chief and Arby would be cool... but I doubt they could pull that off.

#8 Posted by CaptainObvious (2998 posts) -

Sonic doesn't deserve to be in anything. :D

#9 Posted by rockenhard (117 posts) -

Yeah sure.

#10 Edited by captainlantern76 (12 posts) -

Mr. Game-and-Watch does not deserve to be in SSB4. He must join Roy, Young Link, Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Mewtwo in the land of ditched characters; Mewtwo and Roy must come back, however. Especially Mewtwo.

Birdo doesn't deserve to appear either. And who else...um...oh yeah: Tingle.

#11 Edited by GorillaMoPena (2130 posts) -

I want all the characters and more.

Let's get some deeper cuts.

#12 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Tingle DESERVES to be in the game.

As well as Toad!

#13 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4208 posts) -

Reggie Fils-Aime. Strapped-Up Iwata.

Take Out Sonic. Put Knuckles/Tails as a switch out character, ala Pokemon Trainer or Zelda/Sheik.

Make Kirby an HD furry..

#14 Edited by Chibithor (574 posts) -

@sexytoad said:

@captainlantern76 said:

Tingle DESERVES to be in the game.

As well as Toad!

And Birdo. I play Birdo in every game that I can and Smash Bros. should absolutely be one of those games.

#15 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11734 posts) -

Nothing quite like a necropost of a 3-year-old topic from a new user to get the real discussions rolling. Personally, I'd want as many stupid characters as possible in this next game. Will Hamachi or Kazuya be in it? Probably. Will our beloved Nintendo franchises be mined even deeper for more obscure character choices? Absolutely. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

#16 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4208 posts) -
#17 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11734 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: Its Heihachi..

Alright: Steve Fox. King.

Pffft. Wow. Totally missed that typo. I mistook the head of the Mishima Zaibatsu for everyone's favorite crazy IPX LAN emulator.

#18 Edited by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -

I read the first reply and thought "Man, what a stupid idea! They'd never be able to keep the game balanced!"

Then I read the second reply.

#19 Posted by august (3845 posts) -

Take out Sonic. Gotta make some room for Big the Cat.

#20 Posted by august (3845 posts) -

@kyreo said:

Master Chief and Arby would be cool... but I doubt they could pull that off.

Ya think?

#21 Posted by Andorski (5309 posts) -

Mr. Game-and-Watch does not deserve to be in SSB4. He must join Roy, Young Link, Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Mewtwo in the land of ditched characters; Mewtwo and Roy must come back, however. Especially Mewtwo.

The Doc > Mario in SSBM. They should have just given Mario Doc's character properties and just change all the electricity/pill animations to fire/fireballs.

My idea on who should and should not be in the next SSB game: If they did not appear on the NES, SNES, Gameboy, or GBC, then they should not be on the roster. Third party characters like Megaman should be welcomed with open arms into the Smash roster.

#22 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

As long as they are well designed and fit the game I am fine with whichever Nintendo character.

#23 Edited by BisonHero (6523 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

I read the first reply and thought "Man, what a stupid idea! They'd never be able to keep the game balanced!"

Then I read the second reply.

Haha, I have done this exact thing more times than I care to admit.

#24 Posted by Hailinel (24779 posts) -

Take out Fox and Falco, as well as the Final Destination stage, and watch the competitive asshole players screech like banshees.

#25 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Take out Fox and Falco, as well as the Final Destination stage, and watch the competitive asshole players screech like banshees.

That is not nice. Why would you want to upset competitive players? Fox is not even all that good in brawl.

#26 Posted by Hailinel (24779 posts) -

@hailinel said:

That is not nice. Why would you want to upset competitive players? Fox is not even all that good in brawl.

It's always that type of player that manages to ruin the game in a social setting. "Why are items turned on?! This is lame! Yes, I want to play on Final Destination again, I don't care that this is the third time in a row. Hey, hey! Where are you going?"

If everything that they obsessed over and insisted on were removed, it would be sweet, sweet vengeance. Completely unrealistic of course, but I dare to dream.

#27 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@immortalsaiyan said:

@hailinel said:

It's always that type of player that manages to ruin the game in a social setting. "Why are items turned on?! This is lame! Yes, I want to play on Final Destination again, I don't care that this is the third time in a row. Hey, hey! Where are you going?"

If everything that they obsessed over and insisted on were removed, it would be sweet, sweet vengeance. Completely unrealistic of course, but I dare to dream.

I understand how that must be annoying, and those people are being jerks about it. I for one enjoy the game the most in a competitive setting but will gladly play with all items free for all on wacky stages. It's a different kind of fun, I like that smash can offer both and can be a nice refresher. I however don't think it is fair to punish the entire competitive scene for the actions of some vocal people.

#28 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@immortalsaiyan said:

@hailinel said:

I don't think they should be taken out but wholly agree that those people ruin the fun with their incessant need for those characters and that level and such. I enjoy those set up every once in a while for fun but SSB isn't fun when it's roster is whittled to 2 that are considered acceptable and it's levels all deemed unworthy except the least interesting one. I enjoy playing Bowser or Lucario. And I especially enjoy hitting dudes into space with a baseball bat.

#29 Posted by JJOR64 (18990 posts) -

None. Personally I think all the characters from all the games so far should be in, plus more. Add Dr. Mario, Pichu, Mewtwo, and Roy back in. That's just me though.

#30 Posted by JJOR64 (18990 posts) -

None. Personally I think all the characters from all the games so far should be in, plus more. Add Dr. Mario, Pichu, Mewtwo, and Roy back in. That's just me though.

#32 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@immortalsaiyan said:

@hailinel said:

I don't think they should be taken out but wholly agree that those people ruin the fun with their incessant need for those characters and that level and such. I enjoy those set up every once in a while for fun but SSB isn't fun when it's roster is whittled to 2 that are considered acceptable and it's levels all deemed unworthy except the least interesting one. I enjoy playing Bowser or Lucario. And I especially enjoy hitting dudes into space with a baseball bat.

This is the subjective part. The game is fun in different ways to different people. I personally enjoy the game the most 1vs1, without items and and with a certain set of stages for it showcases the underlying depth of the game. I know it was an exhilaration but not only Final destination is a viable tournament stage. There are a solid hand full which have good variety between them. It's like Fox/Falco are the only good characters either.

#33 Edited by WalkerD (462 posts) -

I don't understand why you'd remove any characters. It'll likely be running on the same engine or a newer version of it, it can't be too hard to migrate all of the characters from the last game into the new one. But hey, I know absolutely nothing about game development.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.