I prefer Melee to Brawl

• 0 results
#1 Posted by woodelf86 (143 posts) -

Perhaps I am in the minority, but firmly believe Melee was the better game, anybody else care to way in?

#2 Posted by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -

No

#3 Posted by blazerx9x (648 posts) -

i never played melee

#4 Posted by Nasar7 (2610 posts) -

This thread is kind of unnecessary but yes, I also like Melee better.

#5 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

weigh*

#6 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1610 posts) -

There are plenty like you. I have seen them with my own eyes. Though most of my friends only like the original Smash Bros., so finding someone to actually play with is challenging.

#7 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

A lot of my friends at school prefer that game. I personally like all them.

#8 Posted by Yummylee (21465 posts) -

Never played Brawl, though Melee was pretty fuckin fantastic.

#9 Posted by Ignor (2372 posts) -

Yes.
It became way too easy to unlock new characters in Brawl. 
No challenge.

#10 Edited by drowsap (679 posts) -

I love melee so much more dude but its really because Final destination has a bigger platform to fight on and the nefed the shit out of Samus  in brawl and thats who Iv been  using  since 64 man i kicked ass in melee

#11 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

A couple fun moves to use in Melee got nerfed in Brawl, like Falco's air down+ A. But overall I think I like Brawl more, just because it has more characters and items and stuff.

#12 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

I never played Melee but Brawl was a lot of fun even though the character movement felt slow.

#13 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@Ignor said:
" Yes. It became way too easy to unlock new characters in Brawl.  No challenge. "
so thats why you didnt like brawl? the characters were easy to unlock? 
#14 Posted by Ignor (2372 posts) -
@Ryax said:
" @Ignor said:
" Yes. It became way too easy to unlock new characters in Brawl.  No challenge. "
so thats why you didnt like brawl? the characters were easy to unlock?  "
I like Brawl. I just prefer Melee.
#15 Posted by Chirag4 (585 posts) -

No, I don't play games.

#16 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@Ignor said:
" @Ryax said:
" @Ignor said:
I like Brawl. I just prefer Melee. "
i just dont understand. its virtually the same game. but hey. to each their own. 
#17 Posted by RLLink (367 posts) -
@Ryax said:
" @Ignor said:
" @Ryax said:
" @Ignor said:
i just dont understand. its virtually the same game. but hey. to each their own.  "
Play both of them to their fullest. As in, the "techs" and whatnot. You'll see there is a large LARGE difference between the two. 
Anyway, yeah. I prefer Melee by far. Brawl got boring too quick, after a while the only fun thing to do was play SSE on the hardest difficulty. Even that got annoying.
#18 Posted by CoverlessTech (737 posts) -

I prefer Smash 64 to both of them.

#19 Posted by Undeadpool (4920 posts) -

I prefer Melee as well and I don't think you'll be in the minority at all.

#20 Posted by TooWalrus (13152 posts) -

I prefer Melee to Brawl, but I also prefer the original to Melee. They should port that over to the DS, I'd play it.

#21 Posted by Skytylz (4031 posts) -

The original is one my favorite games ever, but I've barely played the other ones.

#22 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3230 posts) -

I don't understand this notion. Brawl is literally an upgraded version of Melee. 64 is a completely different game on the other hand. 

#23 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3230 posts) -
@Ignor said:
I didn't know that's what made Smash Brothers fun for people. Unlocking characters is usually a chore for me. 
#24 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

It's the same game mechanically...

#25 Posted by Willy105 (4689 posts) -

Melee was pretty cool, but looks really dated compared to Brawl. It's a lot less well balanced and is too chaotic.

#26 Posted by Ignor (2372 posts) -

Fine, here are some other reasons why I, personally, prefer Melee:
-The Brawl announcer is inferior to the Melee announcer.
-The opening cinematic in Brawl is lackluster.
-The stages in Melee are less "helter skelter".
-The Donkey Kong franchise got better treatment in Melee.
-Mewtwo > Lucario

I also like some things in Brawl, such as:
-Being able to play as Diddy.
-The stage editor (could've been better)
-The ability to choose my favorite songs for each stage.
-The inclusion of story mode.

#27 Edited by RLLink (367 posts) -
@Dan_CiTi said:

" I don't understand this notion. Brawl is literally an upgraded version of Melee. 64 is a completely different game on the other hand.  "

Hardly, they completely slowed down the game and made it easier(MUCH easier) to play in general. If you want to talk "upgraded" in graphics, then yes. Otherwise it's a complete downgrade on terms of, you know. Actually destroying your opponent. 

Also, Mewtwo > Lucario 
Pichu > Pokemon Trainer 
Most of the other new characters just annoyed the hell out of me. Except Diddy, he kept things fresh. 

Edit: 
Almost forgot. Roy > Ike on so many levels.
#28 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Awesome. 

#29 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3230 posts) -
@RLLink said:
" @Ryax said:
" @Ignor said:
" @Ryax said:
" @Ignor said:
i just dont understand. its virtually the same game. but hey. to each their own.  "
Play both of them to their fullest. As in, the "techs" and whatnot. You'll see there is a large LARGE difference between the two. Anyway, yeah. I prefer Melee by far. Brawl got boring too quick, after a while the only fun thing to do was play SSE on the hardest difficulty. Even that got annoying. "
Yeah but the part of the point of Brawl was that the creator hated what "high level" players did to Melee. 
#30 Posted by alexl86 (620 posts) -

Meh, I prefer Brawl. Melee is a fine game and all, but they made some effort to distinguish characters in Brawl, that basically were clones in Melee. The only reason I'd play Melee now(hypothetical, I've only played Melee once since Brawl came out) is that Samus and Sheik were badly nerfed in Brawl, but Brawl is definitely the superior game of the two.

#31 Edited by RLLink (367 posts) -
@Dan_CiTi:  
They didn't do much. L-Cancel was already in Smash Bros. 64 as well(only, done with the Z button). Only thing that was different was the ability to air dodge when you wanted to, people merely figured out how to manipulate that. And then they decided to remove that on Brawl, along with the L-Cancel. At the same time completely slowing down the game and making it require less effort to play in general. As some people would call this, "casualing" 

Either way, people take Brawl way more competitive then Melee nowadays, while Melee is just the better game to play on a competitive level. Than again, not really. Went to tournaments before. People goof around and say dumb crap most of the time. Fun times.
#32 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

IMO there is only a single thing about Brawl that makes it worse than Melee; The tripping mechanic. Pull that part of the game, and the game is entirely better than its predecessors.

#33 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

It always freaks me out to see people talking about Smash Bros as if it's a fighting game.

#34 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" It's the same game mechanically... "
Nope.

I think I prefer Melee.  I didn't get all competitive into it as I did Brawl, but when Melee's just faster and less floaty.  Also, people will say otherwise, but the balancing in Brawl is all over the place compared to Melee.  In SSBM, sure some characters were terrible compared to the rest (Bowser, Ganondorf...) but you could be good with almost anybody on a competitive scale.  With Brawl, there are so many characters that are just obviously better than the rest (Wolf, Kid Icarus, Meta Knight...) and so many that are just worse in 1v1 combat (Ike, Sonic, Wario...).

It's because, in Brawl, the game's not made much for 1v1 combat.  Characters such as Solid Snake or Ike rely on the chaos of 4 player FFA to succeed, while Sonic needs items enabled or fighting on a big stage to actually be proficient.  If the game didn't rely on these variables (stages, items...) more people would consider it an actual "Fighting" game, but as it is now, it really is just a "party" game.
#35 Posted by Ignor (2372 posts) -

I play video games for the "fun factor"... <=(

#36 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -
@Ignor said:
" I play video games for the "fun factor"... <=( "
Fun is subjective.
#37 Edited by Ignor (2372 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

" @Ignor said:

Fun is subjective. "
As in "not competitive level".
#38 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -
@Ignor: That's what I'm saying: for you, that's not fun; for others, playing a game competitively is fun.
#39 Posted by Wes899 (2107 posts) -
@Ignor said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:

" @Ignor said:

Fun is subjective. "
As in "not competitive level". "
Agreed. Brawl was present at a recent fighting game tournament I went to. I tried watching some but all I could think was "You guys are playing it wrong."
#40 Posted by Ignor (2372 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

" @Ignor: That's what I'm saying: for you, that's not fun; for others, playing a game competitively is fun. "

I get it. 

*I* play video games for the "fun factor", and by fun *I* mean not competitively.

Is this better?
#41 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -
@Ignor: I suppose.  It just seemed like in your first post you were saying competitive level play wasn't part of the fun to be had.
#42 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @EpicSteve said:
" It's the same game mechanically... "
Nope.  I think I prefer Melee.  I didn't get all competitive into it as I did Brawl, but when Melee's just faster and less floaty.  Also, people will say otherwise, but the balancing in Brawl is all over the place compared to Melee.  In SSBM, sure some characters were terrible compared to the rest (Bowser, Ganondorf...) but you could be good with almost anybody on a competitive scale.  With Brawl, there are so many characters that are just obviously better than the rest (Wolf, Kid Icarus, Meta Knight...) and so many that are just worse in 1v1 combat (Ike, Sonic, Wario...).  It's because, in Brawl, the game's not made much for 1v1 combat.  Characters such as Solid Snake or Ike rely on the chaos of 4 player FFA to succeed, while Sonic needs items enabled or fighting on a big stage to actually be proficient.  If the game didn't rely on these variables (stages, items...) more people would consider it an actual "Fighting" game, but as it is now, it really is just a "party" game. "
Smash has never been considered a fighting game, not even close. 
#43 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

melee> 64>>>>>>>> brawl

also i think they should make a portable version of it too on the ds. they do it for all the other ninty games.

#44 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" Smash has never been considered a fighting game, not even close.  "
By some people, it definitely has.  I don't consider it a fighting game, as stated in what I posted, but sites such as " All is Brawl" prove that people will claim it to be an actual fighting game and go competitive with it.  Personally, like I said, I wish those variables were removed so it could be a competitive fighting game starring Nintendo characters, but it'll always be a party game.
#45 Edited by watertails (98 posts) -
@EpicSteve: This might be because I've played Smash competitively for a few years now, but I disagree with that. Melee got into MLG on its own merits. Smash - well, Melee, is among the most technical games I've played and had a really nice, friendly community up until Brawl's release.
#46 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3089 posts) -

I prefer the OG. You know, before people started taking it seriously...

#47 Edited by demontium (4707 posts) -

flamebait.... but prefer brawl to melee, more characters. 

Melee was a better fighting game, brawl is a better game. 

Hopefully that makes sense.

#48 Posted by Hailinel (24256 posts) -
@demontium said:
" flamebait.... but prefer brawl to melee, more characters.  Melee was a better fighting game, brawl is a better game.  Hopefully that makes sense. "
I never really understood the idea of Melee being a better fighting game.  Smash Bros. has always been about getting ridiculous with groups of friends and watching Peach launch Ganondorf into the upper reaches of the atmosphere.  The competitive community for the games seem to play something else entirely, where items aren't allowed and the only stage that matters is Final Destination.
#49 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I prefer melee because I liked the controls better, but Brawl is fun too. So is the original.

#50 Posted by RLLink (367 posts) -
@Fr0Br0 said:
" I prefer the OG. You know, before people started taking it seriously... "
You'd be surprised, my friend. Try finding Isai's youtube account. 0 -> Death combos everywhere. Especially with Luigi. 
Also, Hailinel got it wrong with the assumption on Final Destination is all Melee players choose. 
Round 1: Always random, being either of 5 stages(I think) which are: Final Destination, Battlefield, Kirby(not the one with blocks), Yoshi's Island, aaand... OK, maybe it was just 4. My memory isn't that fresh. The rest are counterpicks which have a larger choice range(including Rainbow Cruise). Whether the person decides to choose  Final Destination(after losing) is up to him.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.