Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros.

Franchise »

The Super Smash Bros. series is Nintendo's premier fighting series, featuring many characters from Nintendo's most popular games as well as third-party characters.

Is Super Smash Bros. A Fighting Game?

• 192 results
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By ryanwho
    @Doctorchimp said:
    @Daveyo520 said:
    @Doctorchimp: Some people compete and take most of the fun out of it.
    Yes they heavily modify it.Pro-Melee players are weird and play a game that wasn't even slightly intended to be played like that.Nobody plays Halo with rockets only to see who's the most skilled.
    I don't really think most games set out to be competitive paradigms, it just sort of happens. And if Halo had a mode where you could only shoot rockets, people would play that competitively.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By Turambar
    @Daveyo520 said:
    @Doctorchimp: I do not hold Street Fighter or other games like it in high regard, nor do I dislike SSB but it is just plain and simple that they are not the same thing. You guys need a reality check. You just want it to be the same thing to make it seem better or as important as if somehow it not being one makes it less so. They want credibility for something they like and will promote it as something it is not. Just let it stand on it's own and try not to compare it to something that is way different.
    List the similarities in game elements between SFIV and Tekken or Soul Calibur.  Lets just start from there.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By ryanwho
    @Turambar said:
    I'm bored, so indulge me in this question.  What game elements are required to count as a fighting game?Be on a 2d plain strictly?  But Tekken and Soul Calibur allows for movement in all 3 axis so that's not it.  Only be a 1v1?  But games like MvC are also fighters so that's not it.  Be in a game where there are no pickup-able items?  But MK4 has them so that's still not it.The only two that I can think of are having clearly defined HP bars and having a stage be just a flat plane.  That aside from the basic element that all interaction is done via fighting can't be it, can it?Edit: And a clearly defined HP bar can't possibly actually be a requirement either, can it?
    Wrestling games and boxing games don't have HP bars, they have stamina bars that, when depleted, make them more succeptable to stronger moves. Sound familiar?
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#104  Edited By Daveyo520
    @ryanwho: There IS a mode where you can only shoot rockets.

@Doctorchimp: You are right, the modes of play that make SSB even close to a fighting game are not even close to what was meant to be played and what the people who made it wanted to happen. There is a reason items default to on.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanwho said:

Wrestling games and boxing games don't have HP bars, they have stamina bars that, when depleted, make them more succeptable to stronger moves. Sound familiar?

I don't consider wrestling games except for the old titles and WWE All-Stars to be fighting games.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Daveyo520 said:
    @Doctorchimp: I do not hold Street Fighter or other games like it in high regard, nor do I dislike SSB but it is just plain and simple that they are not the same thing. You guys need a reality check. You just want it to be the same thing to make it seem better or as important as if somehow it not being one makes it less so. They want credibility for something they like and will promote it as something it is not. Just let it stand on it's own and try not to compare it to something that is way different.
    I never said it was the same thing....

You're the one who has a strict guideline as to what a fighting game has to be. They're both totally different fighting games...that's cool....

But yo you punch other dudes with a character that you pick out and he has special moves.

That sounds like a fighting game....a game where you fight other players in close quarter combat....
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Daveyo520
    @Turambar: Two characters facing each other in a small space. What jumping you can do does not let you jump around the level and go everywhere, you are relatively confined to where you can go. No SSB is not the same in that regard, the amount of movement and space are very different. Also the camera is way farther back and not just focused on the two dudes like in these fighting games. The 3d fighters are still on the same level as the 2D ones and don't really let you move that much. You hit the other person with combos not just one button attacks. Yes you can just punch, but the more advanced players do combos. The stuff you can do in SSB does not reach that level of combo and move set. 

I would say that SSB has more in common with Beat 'Em Ups like Streets of Rage then games like SF. You can move all around the levels, use items (while swords and stuff are in fighting games they are part of the character and their moves), and beat people up.
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Doctorchimp said:
    I never said it was the same thing....You're the one who has a strict guideline as to what a fighting game has to be. They're both totally different fighting games...that's cool....But yo you punch other dudes with a character that you pick out and he has special moves.That sounds like a fighting game....a game where you fight other players in close quarter combat....
    So then by that logic, Dynasty/Samurai Warriors games are fighting games because you can fight other players in close quarters combat and each dude has special moves.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Daveyo520
    @President_Barackbar: Same with Dragon Age.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @President_Barackbar said:
    @Doctorchimp said:
    I never said it was the same thing....You're the one who has a strict guideline as to what a fighting game has to be. They're both totally different fighting games...that's cool....But yo you punch other dudes with a character that you pick out and he has special moves.That sounds like a fighting game....a game where you fight other players in close quarter combat....
    So then by that logic, Dynasty/Samurai Warriors games are fighting games because you can fight other players in close quarters combat and each dude has special moves.
    Dynasty Warriors has a versus mode?
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#111  Edited By BraveToaster

I always thought it was a fighting game. 

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Daveyo520 said:
    @President_Barackbar: Same with Dragon Age.
    Dragon Age has multiplayer in it?

What the fuck? What patch did you download?
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Daveyo520
    @Doctorchimp: No it does not. We are talking about the fact that you said all a fighting game needs is close quarters fighting and special moves.
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Doctorchimp: Yep, so do both Samurai Warrior games.
    keris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#115  Edited By keris
    @Daveyo520 said:

@Turambar: Two characters facing each other in a small space. What jumping you can do does not let you jump around the level and go everywhere, you are relatively confined to where you can go. No SSB is not the same in that regard, the amount of movement and space are very different. Also the camera is way farther back and not just focused on the two dudes like in these fighting games. The 3d fighters are still on the same level as the 2D ones and don't really let you move that much. You hit the other person with combos not just one button attacks. Yes you can just punch, but the more advanced players do combos. The stuff you can do in SSB does not reach that level of combo and move set. 
    I would say that SSB has more in common with Beat 'Em Ups like Streets of Rage then games like SF. You can move all around the levels, use items (while swords and stuff are in fighting games they are part of the character and their moves), and beat people up.

Huh, except you're forgetting about a whole franchise of fighters ... The Bushido Blade games also let you run and climb about a whole multi-level arena.

Here's another thing, I don't understand how you classify the SSB games as brawlers. It's not like you're fighting wave after wave of identically named foes while eating food to regain health. Pit Fighter, that could be a brawler. I guess you could even say Karateka is a brawler. 

Now, Super Smash Bros Brawl, if you're talking about the Subspace Emissary, then yeah it's a brawler. You know, it's like how Tekken Force Mode is a brawler. But in their main modes, SSB and Tekken are fighting games.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Daveyo520 said:
    @Doctorchimp: No it does not. We are talking about the fact that you said all a fighting game needs is close quarters fighting and special moves.
    No....I was talking about fighting other dudes. Real people....

@President_Barackbar said:
    @Doctorchimp: Yep, so do both Samurai Warrior games.

In that case yes, they are shitty fighting games with RTS elements added in.

A Real Time Fighting Strategy Clusterfuck.

RTFSC
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Turambar
    @Daveyo520 said:

Two Characters in a Small Space - Small is relative, and too blurry of a concept to serve as an element.  Confined space works, but Smash stages are confined.

Jumping does not let you go everywhere - MvC jumping lets you go to absurd distances on the Y-axis.  There are moves in multiple games that lets you travel far distances in the x-axis.

Hitting people with combos, not just one button attacks - SSB characters have multi-button combos via weak, medium, high, and smash (very strong) normal attacks.  I actually didn't realize that until I had a college roommate show me it in Brawl.

Camera screen does not stretch (guessing this is what you mean) - I specifically remember older generation DBZ fighters fought on a plain 2d screen but allowing the camera to stretch as characters move further form each other.  Some would split screen.  Others would stretch to a finite distance.

SSB is more in common with Streets of Rage - But SSB is in a confined space, Streets of Rage are multi-screened stages.  SSB have one character fight up to 3 much like that 4 player Guilty Gear game.  Streets of Rage spawns legions of enemies at the player.  That single player "campaign" in brawl is Streets of Rage esque.  But the main portion of Brawl is very different from that campaign.

Your points don't seem to hold.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Turambar: It's almost like he's just grasping for straws....with no real point...

Other than genre definitions are beyond dumb...
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Turambar
    @Doctorchimp said:
    @Turambar: It's almost like he's just grasping for straws....with no real point...Other than genre definitions are beyond dumb...
    I think I'm beginning to feel the basic genre titles like fighting game, shooting game, puzzle game, etc, are all far more expansive than people are willing to admit.  In this specific case, games like SF falls under a sub genre.  Lets call it 2d arcade fighter for now though people can call it whatever, idc.  The argument that SSB does not fall under that sub-genre is sound.  Brawl would fall under a different sub-genre, much like something like Soul Calibur would be another sub-genre unto itself. 

But using sub-genre names for everything is admitidly silly, so how about this.  Instead of people saying "fighter" and pretend that only SF and MK falls under that absurdly broad term, jsut say "games like SF and MK."  Suddenly its so fucking easy.  I am a fucking genius.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#120  Edited By Yanngc33

Was it ever played at EVO?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By ryanwho
    @Yanngc33 said:
    MK was never played at EVO. Being played at EVO just means wapanese like it.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#122  Edited By KaosAngel
    @ryanwho said:
    @Yanngc33 said:
    ...MK is at EVO. Japanese are even entered for it this year.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#123  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'd consider it a fighting game, just as I'd consider Dissidia a fighting game.  A different style of fighting game, yes, but I think it still fits into the genre.
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Kjellm87

Of course it is, excellent one too. 

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By scarace360
    They had tournys for it but i dont think it takes any real skills to play. It dosent have footies or links or real combos. So no i dont consider it one.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#126  Edited By Pessh
    @KaosAngel said:
    @ryanwho said:
    @Yanngc33 said:
    ...MK is at EVO. Japanese are even entered for it this year.
    He's on about all previous MKs. This is the first one.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#127  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I agree with @SethPhotopoulos: it's a fighting game, well, I've always thought of it as a platforming-based fighting game, but it's a fighting game none the less. Remember that the depth of a game and your personal opinion on its quality have no bearing on genre classification.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#128  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Yes.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#129  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Enigma777 said: 

Yes. Just like how there's different types of racing games (sim, arcade, combat) there's also different types of fighting games. The arcade fighter purists need to get all that sand out of their vaginas and accept the truth.

@Turambar said: 

@LordXavierBritish said: 

@Turambar said: 

@LordXavierBritish said: 

Calling Smash Bros. a fighting game is like calling Streets of Rage a fighting game.I'm not saying that's bad, I love Smash Bros., but it isn't a fighting game.It's to fighting games what Mario Kart and other kart racers are to racing games. 

"Smash Bros. isn't a fighting game.  Smash Bros is to fighting games as Mario Kart is to racing games.  Mario Kart is not a racing game."  That is your own chain of logic.  How is that so hard to grasp?  I'm not arguing with you over sub-genre usage.  I'm calling you wrong for claiming "Kart Racing Games" are not "Racing Games".
    Okay, let me rephrase my statement then.Smash Bros. is a fighting game if you are too lazy to use proper terminology and instead choose to use blanket statements that lead people who may have never played a Smash Bros. game into believing that it has similarities with titles that is so distinctly different from that you'd be doing a disservice to both the developers and fans of the game by so blatantly ignoring the individual aspects of the series that propel it into it's own category of genre entirely.
    So by using proper terminology and placing it under a sub-genre, that excludes it from being part of the over arching genre of what it actually fucking belongs in?  I don't fucking care what people want to call it whether it be party game, cross over orgasm, or kiddy brawler.  Its a fighting game.  Its not the same kind of fighting game as SF, but its still a fighting game.Civ is a strategy game.  It is not the same kind of strategy game as Starcraft, but it is still a strategy game.Mario Kart is a racing game.  It is not the same kind of racing game as Gran Turismo, but it is still a racing game.How are you this dense?Actually, let me go one step further.  The United States is a country.  It is not the same kind of country as Canada, but it is still a country.  The Earth is a planet.  It is not the same kind of planet as Mars, but it is still a planet.  This is a forum.  It is not the same kind of forum as 4chan, but it is still a forum.  Is this basic logic getting through your head?And why the hell am I actually angry at this ridiculousness god damnit.
    Jesus fucking Christ, this and this.
    MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By MideonNViscera

It's a game where you pick fighters and fight each other. Yes, it's a fighting game. It doesn't have to have Hadokens to be a fighting game, no matter what the elitists say.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#131  Edited By nintendoeats

What? Yes.

Stop trolling Kaos. Not that you are capable of that, but I figured I should say it anyway.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By napalm
    @FourWude said:

It's a kiddy brawler.

It's like the kids table. It's still a table, but it's cheap and easily broken, so it's not really a table.

So no, it's not.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KaosAngel said:
    I've seen this debate often, and now I want to know what the GB community thinks!Is Smash Bros a proper fighting game?In the same league as BB, SSFIVAE, KoF, GGXX, MvC3, etc...
    It's definitely a fighting-game, but since you stipulated whether it should be considered in the same league as that bunch, I'd have to say no.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By napalm
    @GetEveryone said:
    @KaosAngel said:
    I've seen this debate often, and now I want to know what the GB community thinks!Is Smash Bros a proper fighting game?In the same league as BB, SSFIVAE, KoF, GGXX, MvC3, etc...
    It's definitely a fighting-game, but since you stipulated whether it should be considered in the same league as that bunch, I'd have to say no.
    I'm not crazy. He started this topic before like two years ago, didn't he? I also don't know why I'm quoting you.
    Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#135  Edited By Grimace

Smash Bros is a party game. Just like Powerstone. 

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Napalm said:
    @GetEveryone said:
    @KaosAngel said:
    I'm not crazy. He started this topic before like two years ago, didn't he? I also don't know why I'm quoting you.
    Yup, pretty sure you're right.

...and I'm always a safe bet.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#137  Edited By Icemael

Yes, it is a fighting game. No, it is not in the same league as Guilty Gear XX #Reload, The King of Fighters XI et cetera.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By MideonNViscera

The people who play it competitively would disagree I bet.

Skins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Skins

How about you take a spectrum that goes from Street Fighter 2 to Mario Party.
     I'd put Melee right on top of SF2 and brawl on top of Mario Party. Melee is endlessly complex at the highest level. Brawl is much much less so. I wouldnt say "smash" in general is not  a fighter genre. Just the last title the producer SPECIFICALLY took out what made the genre so good at being a fighter. While I could link any tournament in the last 5 years as evidence, I will only link this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQSMTKhdsDY&feature=related
    It takes only 10 seconds of that video and this argument is over. I party game (brawl) doesnt let you chain that

Also, 12:18 should blow your mind. unreal

supercubedude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By supercubedude

I think calling it a "fighting game" is an oversimplification since it's so different from a standard fighting game like SF or MK.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By NTM

Of course it is, what else could you call it? It's a fighting game and you're only letting the fact that it's nintendo characters get in the way of that. It's a fighting game whether anyone likes it or not, but I would understand if it's harder to take serious as a fighter.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#142  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It's a fighting game, but only for lack of other definitions.

VanillaPlant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By VanillaPlant

Its about as much of a fighting game as gears of war is a first person shooter.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By 71Ranchero

Smash Brothers is a competitive action game. Its more like what they used to tack onto 3d brawlers as "vs mode". 

Im not saying this in a negative way, or atleast Im not trying to. SB is great for what it is, but it doesn't sit well next to a fighting game and I dont think Nintendo meant it to.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By kingzetta

No it's a party game

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Daveyo520
    @NTM: It has nothing to do with Nintendo or it's characters but how it looks and plays.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By AlexW00d

The reason sub genres exist is so arguments like this don't ever happen. 

And not using sub-genres is like calling all Humans Hominidae. Are humans and gorillas the same thing? Nope. Do they both belong to the family hominidae? Yep. Do you see where this is going?
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Skins said:

How about you take a spectrum that goes from Street Fighter 2 to Mario Party.
     I'd put Melee right on top of SF2 and brawl on top of Mario Party. Melee is endlessly complex at the highest level. Brawl is much much less so. I wouldnt say "smash" in general is not  a fighter genre. Just the last title the producer SPECIFICALLY took out what made the genre so good at being a fighter. While I could link any tournament in the last 5 years as evidence, I will only link this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQSMTKhdsDY&feature=related
    It takes only 10 seconds of that video and this argument is over. I party game (brawl) doesnt let you chain that

Also, 12:18 should blow your mind. unreal

I'm just gonna quote and embed this video so that people see it.

Skins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Skins
    @ajamafalous: Ty, if people make an opinion without seeing this then they are just missing the boat.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#150  Edited By zidd

nope its a brawler like final fight or streets of rage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.