Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros.

Franchise »

The Super Smash Bros. series is Nintendo's premier fighting series, featuring many characters from Nintendo's most popular games as well as third-party characters.

Is Super Smash Bros. A Fighting Game?

• 192 results
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By Scooper

No it's gash brawler.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By Turambar
    @Daveyo520 said:

@NTM: It has nothing to do with Nintendo or it's characters but how it looks and plays.

But you have yet to show different elements between SSB and SF that are not also existent between SF and other widely accepted fighters. 

Here is the very simple thing.  "Fighter" not a specific genre.  It is a very broad and wide genre.  Games like SF and MK are a specific sub-genre under that.  SF and MK like games are not the entire thing.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By Turambar
    @VanillaPlant said:
    Its about as much of a fighting game as gears of war is a first person shooter.
    But Gears of War is still a shooter.  It still falls under that giant genre title called "shooting games."  SSB still falls under that giant genre called "fighting games."
    SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#154  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Not a traditional fighting game, but a fighting game none the less

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#155  Edited By animateria

By Nintendo's definition...

Probably no.

It was an accident if it feels remotely close to one.
    Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#156  Edited By Sayishere

Its just a brawler/fighting game

but i assume this topic is talking about the competitive scene of smash bros or the lack of?

anything can be played competitvely, obviously not as widespread like a COD or a Street fighter, but amongst friends it can be competitve
    NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#157  Edited By NickLott

I think there's nuance than it's given credit for but it's incredibly unbalanced. I would put it in the category closer to Power Stone than Street Fighter.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#158  Edited By soldierg654342

It's a spectacle fighter, just like MvC. 

keris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#159  Edited By keris
    @AlexW00d said:
    The reason sub genres exist is so arguments like this don't ever happen. 
    And not using sub-genres is like calling all Humans Hominidae. Are humans and gorillas the same thing? Nope. Do they both belong to the family hominidae? Yep. Do you see where this is going?
    Is that seriously your argument? First of all, sub genres exist so as to differentiate between similar items. In many cases the distinctions are arbitrary. The reason sub genres exist is because of arguments.

Here's the point, all humans are Hominidae. All gorillas are Hominidae as well. Yes, humans and gorillas are the same thing. 
    They are the same thing in so far as they 
    Now, if you want to say that they are different in so and so features, then you can do that. You can differentiate into subfamily and then genus. But it still remains that they share common characteristics and are Hominidae.

Following that line of logic, SSB fits right into the fighting game genre. No, it doesn't have life bars, but neither Bushido Blade nor Karate Champ have those either. No, it's not the same kind of fighter as Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, but it is still a fighting game nonetheless.
    CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#160  Edited By CSXLoser

a fighting game yes

a "traditional" fighting game no
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By AlexW00d
    @keris: You've not really made an argument there, you've either reinforced what I said or just listed some facts.

I know full SSB is a fighting game, that bit is obvious; but to lump it together with games like MK and Street Fighter it entirely foolish.
    And sub genres were invented so arguments like this wouldn't happen after the first time. I should probably have added again to my initial post.

And going back to my analogy, of which you completely missed the point, were refer to ourselves as humans right? Just like we refer to gorillas as gorillas. We don't just refer to both as hominidae: so why should we refer to a video game by the family of videogames it belongs to?
    Would you call Metal Gear Solid a shooter? Or Batman: Arkham Asylum a stealth game? Both games share a lot of elements with games of such genres; but they aren't necessarily similar games are they? So why label them similarly?

If we are going to go by your logic; we should just call every game 'game' and be done with it.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By xyzygy

It's definitely a fighting game. Mortal Kombat's main focus is the fatalities and gore, SF is very technical, SSB mixes elements of platforming. They're all fighting games just with different focuses.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I always considered Smash Bros. to be a party game. 

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#164  Edited By craigbo180

SSBM is a serious fighting game. Unintentionally but it definitely is a fighting game that is as hard or harder to master than anything else out there.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Kjellm87
    @bartok said:

I always considered Smash Bros. to be a party game. 

It is both. Easy game to have some fun with but when pros meet, shit is going down.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By FreakAche

Of course it is. No one would make the argument that Bulletstorm isn't a first-person shooter because it's just a bunch of silly fun, while Battlefield is a first-person shooter because of it's well thought out competitive gameplay. The competitive merits of a game are unrelated to genre.

crushed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By crushed

It's a fighting game. You can't really classify it as anything else. "Party game" and "brawler" both ignore that it's a game where the primary action is two-to-four players on a 2D plane performing fighting moves towards each other to try and beat the other guy. There's nothing else you can use to describe it without splitting hairs or making arbitrary distinctions.

@craigbo180 said:

SSBM is a serious fighting game. Unintentionally but it definitely is a fighting game that is as hard or harder to master than anything else out there.

Eh, I used to think so to, but then I read something from Sakurai saying that they DID intend a lot of the depth in that game, and deliberately scaled in back in Brawl.
    MyNameIsJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By MyNameIsJoe

I don't know that I would say its "in the same league" as those games but yes, it is a fighting game. Albeit a relatively simple one focused on accessibility and flair. 

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By amomjc

It's a fighting game as much as calling Mass Effect is a Traditional RPG. It's evolved.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @craigbo180 said:

No....

I'm sorry but there are some real technical fighting games out there...

@AlexW00d said:
    @keris: You've not really made an argument there, you've either reinforced what I said or just listed some facts.

I know full SSB is a fighting game, that bit is obvious; but to lump it together with games like MK and Street Fighter it entirely foolish.
    And sub genres were invented so arguments like this wouldn't happen after the first time. I should probably have added again to my initial post.

And going back to my analogy, of which you completely missed the point, were refer to ourselves as humans right? Just like we refer to gorillas as gorillas. We don't just refer to both as hominidae: so why should we refer to a video game by the family of videogames it belongs to?
    Would you call Metal Gear Solid a shooter? Or Batman: Arkham Asylum a stealth game? Both games share a lot of elements with games of such genres; but they aren't necessarily similar games are they? So why label them similarly?

If we are going to go by your logic; we should just call every game 'game' and be done with it.

Your logic is so utterly broken...you're just being a moron so Street Fighter and SSB are as far apart as possible.

Then what main genre does the Super Smash Brothers franchise fall into?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

If Smash Bros. is considered a fighting game then so would Power Stone, right ?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By AlexW00d
    @Doctorchimp: I've already said it is obvious SSB is a fighter, what more do you want?

You are missing the point: if you were to describe the game to a friend that had no idea, what would you say? "Oh it's a fighter"? No of course you wouldn't.
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By craigbo180

SSBM has true high level play there is no way someone could beat me at that game if they were not already experienced and well versed in the techniques. I don't know if this has been answered yet but SSBM was represented at EVO. Just because you don't like or aren't good at that type at game doesn't make it "not a fighting game". If you want to turn on 4 player and have all the items on, then that's great! I really hope you have a blast, but there is a specific way that people play the game at the top level.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#174  Edited By LordAndrew
    Jeff sez:

With the potentially-lone exception of WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game, wrestling games are NOT fighting games.

Games that break out of the standard one-on-one format, such as Power Stone or Super Smash Bros., still technically qualify for the fighting genre
    So as you can see, WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game is indeed a fighting game.
    Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Arker101

I enjoyed all 3 Super Smash Bros, and I used to think they were great compared to Soul Caliber or Tekken. I recently played MVC3 and Mortal Kombat 9 and have to say that SSBs is a fighting game, but doesn't have that same kind of skill requirement that those games do.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#176  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Of course it's a fighting game. I mean, it's not a traditional fighting game, but it is a fighting game. It's kinda like how Gran Turismo and Mario Kart are both racing games. They're both very different and appeal to very different audiences, but they are racing games. SSB is very different from Street Fighter, and they appeal to very different audiences, but they are both fighting games.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#177  Edited By ajamafalous

I think those saying that SSBM requires no skill and is a party game are basing that off of "me playing with my bros on the couch" and not watching competitive matches.

keris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#178  Edited By keris
    @AlexW00d: Lumping SSB with SF and MK is not foolish. It's entirely valid, as you have stated, it's a fighting game. By saying that it goes into a sub genre, does not take it out of the company of any games in other sub genres. They still belong to the same genre.

Both Metal Gear Solid and Arkham Asylum are similar games; they both fit under Stealth Action. Genres aren't mutually exclusive either. Just because Metal Gear Solid has stealth mechanics doesn't take it out of the shooting genre. Take Giant Bomb's database. Just because you have one concept doesn't preclude it from containing other concepts.

And now we come to my point, perhaps I was too implicit before. Classifications aren't meant to be exclusionary. They are meant to be inclusive. When you want to talk about similar things, you classify them together. If you want to talk about horned animals, you don't exclude a triceratops from the company of a rhinoceros and a bull, just because the triceratops isn't a mammal.

So, when talking about fighting games there's no problem talking about SSB in the same breath as SF and MK. 

Huh, didn't realize: Metal Gear Solid. Take a look under genre. Action and Shooter. Quod erat demonstrandum.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#179  Edited By KaosAngel

...so people calling it a party game, what makes it party game and not a fighting game?

Why does the staff say that it isn't a fighting game?  Even people on SRK don't consider it a fighter.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By napalm
    @FreakAche said:

Of course it is. No one would make the argument that Bulletstorm isn't a first-person shooter because it's just a bunch of silly fun, while Battlefield is a first-person shooter because of it's well thought out competitive gameplay. The competitive merits of a game are unrelated to genre.

Er... what? That's an awful analogy you got there. A better analogy would be like... comparing Duck Hunt as a/not as a FPS in relation to how FPS are now as we know them.

@craigbo180 said:
    What the fuck? Hell no.
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Kjellm87
    @KaosAngel said:

Why does the staff say that it isn't a fighting game?  Even people on SRK don't consider it a fighter.

Beats me, but let's be honest here, the staff says a lot of silly things sometimes.  How much Smash have they played anyway?
    Easy to pick up and play makes it a party game, at the same time it is hard to master, therefor it is a fighting game.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By FreakAche
    @Napalm: How so? Bulletstorm and Battlefield are quite different games, but in terms of their most basic concepts, they both revolve around shooting people from a first-person perspective. Therefore they are both first person shooters. Likewise, Smash Bros and Street Fighter are quite different games, but at the most basic level, they both revolve around multiplayer punching and kicking shenanigans, and therefore they are both considered fighting games.
    TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#183  Edited By TehFlan

I'm not going to say anything others haven't, but whatever. Of course Smash Bros. is a fighting game. Just because it falls under a different sub-genre than Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat doesn't mean it isn't a fighting game. That's like saying Pokemon isn't an RPG. It's different than most RPGs in some ways, but similar in others. SSB is is different to most fighters in some ways, but similar in others. Also, like Pokemon, it has a very low barrier to entry but can also be extremely competitive.

I would certainly say SSB has more in common with fighting games than it does with brawlers.
    ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#184  Edited By ThePickle

Yes. 

Gunrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#185  Edited By Gunrock

To me as a fighting game it bores the hell out of me, but as an amazing party game with items and random crazyness its awesome, so i will say no on the fighting game like Zelda isn't an rpg, but thats another topic.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Nasar7

Of course it is. Hardcore fighting genre fans' elitism is astounding.

Shadowx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Shadowx

Well all I can say is that ever since I was a little and I saw that first commercial with Mario, Yoshi, Dk, and Pikcahu all holding hands, and then they started beating the crap of each other, I called it a fighting game. I wasnt thinking in specific categories I guess, but thats just what I saw it as in my simple child mind( I was four years old when I fist saw it, five yeras old by the time I actaully played it). It is proabbly my favorite Video Game Franchise, and I consider it a fighter.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By mikemcn
    @Nasar7 said:
    Of course it is. Hardcore fighting genre fans' elitism is astounding.
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By PillClinton

It's a laid-back, less serious fighting that's more about fun than anything else.  That's not to say there aren't crazy competitive people who have mastered it, though. 

Pulloff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Pulloff

It's the difference between a linear world game and a sandbox game. The Call of Duty saga is a linear based shooter. The Far Cry games are all Open world, except for the very first one. So if Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter is a, "closed stage fighter," Super Smash Brothers would be classified as an, "open stage fighter." CSF vs OSF.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Nottle

@Pulloff said:

It's the difference between a linear world game and a sandbox game. The Call of Duty saga is a linear based shooter. The Far Cry games are all Open world, except for the very first one. So if Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter is a, "closed stage fighter," Super Smash Brothers would be classified as an, "open stage fighter." CSF vs OSF.

Indeed, I'd say the Smash Bros. games are a sub genre of fighting games. They are innovative, so they aren't pure 1 on 1 fighters, it is presenting your goals a situations in a vastly different way.

I feel like the people that say these games aren't fighting games are the same that say they don't make survival horror anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a brawler people.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.