New Super Smash Bros. Game Being Developed by Namco Bandai

#1 Edited by Bigbombomb (677 posts) -

It was announced on the Nintendo Direct live stream. Namco Bandai will be working in collaboration with Project Sora on the Super Smash Bros. games for the Wii U and 3DS. I'm guessing more will be revealed after the stream. Who's ready to play as Pac-Man?

Links: IGN, Inside Gaming

Edit: Here's a message from Sora's Masahiro Sakurai and Namco Bandai's Masaya Kobayashi: Nintendo Direct Message

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -

Huh? What?

Wait, what?

Why?

#3 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Because after Brawl, they wanted to see if they could make it even worse!

#4 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: Aw, I liked Brawl. I'll admit, though, that I definitely preferred the core gameplay of Melee to the slow, floaty, trippy mess that Brawl became.

I just want another Smash Dojo.

#5 Posted by Bigbombomb (677 posts) -
#6 Posted by TheHT (11526 posts) -

ssb 4 n64 4 lyfe

But yes, this is strange. Also, your IGN link doesn't work. Commentary or accident?

#7 Posted by Bigbombomb (677 posts) -

@TheHT: It is all very odd, even the link not working because it works fine for me. Sorry about that.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/22/namco-bandai-developing-next-smash-bros

The same article also updated saying the Tekken development team will also be working on it. Yoshito Higuchi, the director of Tales of Vesperia, will also be working on it, so expect Tales characters to be in there (not really).

#8 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

@TheHT said:

ssb 4 n64 4 lyfe

:D

Anyway- I could see this going either way: they could either end up pleasing the Melee fans, or angering everyone. :P

..... Or somewhere in the middle- but middle-grounds don't exist on the internet, so you didn't hear me mention this. >_>

#9 Edited by TheHT (11526 posts) -

@Bigbombomb: nope. you're right. it works. dunno why but putting my cursor over it did nothing last time i was in this thread.

also, seeing some of the names working on this make it 10x weirder. but also increases my curiousity substantially.

#10 Posted by jking47 (1215 posts) -

Hopefully they move back to the fast paced combat of Melee. I am interested to see how this goes.

#11 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

this all but guarantees Susumu will be in the game

#12 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka said:

@TheHT said:

ssb 4 n64 4 lyfe

:D

Anyway- I could see this going either way: they could either end up pleasing the Melee fans, or angering everyone. :P

..... Or somewhere in the middle- but middle-grounds don't exist on the internet, so you didn't hear me mention this. >_>

This really is what it comes down to. You either make the Melee fags happy or you make everyone else happy. I understand completely why people prefer Melee, but I had way more fun playing Brawl because: More characters, Lots of stages, Level Editor, tons of fun misc. content. Brawl also had a reasonably fun campaign provided you didn't play it alone. There was just more stuff to do in Brawl, that's why I prefer it.

#13 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

As long as Goku, a Gundam and Heihachi are in it I'll probably buy it...

Actually no, I won't.

#14 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11918 posts) -

My only response to this is "What". I literally don't know how to react to this information.

Also, I really liked Brawl, but that was before I got competent at real fighting games. I dunno. As long as the single player is as amazing/insane as that one, I will be on board. Could not give a shit about competitive viability because I still consider competitive Smash Bros to be the most counter-intuitive application of a game ever. At least competitive Pokemon legitimately has those hooks under the surface and doesn't exclude 50% of the game to be viable.

#15 Posted by StarvingGamer (8380 posts) -

Could be cool.

I look forward to months of continually checking the Smash Dojo for updates.

#16 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

My only response to this is "What". I literally don't know how to react to this information.

Also, I really liked Brawl, but that was before I got competent at real fighting games. I dunno. As long as the single player is as amazing/insane as that one, I will be on board. Could not give a shit about competitive viability because I still consider competitive Smash Bros to be the most counter-intuitive application of a game ever. At least competitive Pokemon legitimately has those hooks under the surface and doesn't exclude 50% of the game to be viable.

I agree with most of your post, but I still don't get why people compare Smash Bros. to "real fighting games" (what the hell is a real fighting game anyway?), this series was never intended to compete with games like Street Fighter and Tekken. It's like comparing Mario Kart to Gran Turismo.

#17 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3391 posts) -

Oh, man. I hope this doesn't mean they're trying to turn SSB into a full-on fighting game. 'Cause I fucking hate those. Or more accurately, they fucking hate me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.